SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#237982 - 07/13/08 05:37 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Well, Diki if you couldn't figure it out from the words "Same apololgy applies to Diki - I'm sorry for calling you names," then maybe it wasn't an apology after all. If I need a sermon I'll go to church. I know you'll have to reply because you need to have the last pontifical word, so go ahead...

Fran - sorry for ruining your post.

#237983 - 07/13/08 06:32 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Um.........yeah.

Anyway, I'd like to add a simple comment directly related to the topic:

This weekend we're playing a Top 40 gig at our local (I mean literally a few streets away from where we live....handy!)

So there's a brand new Top 40 song just come out (it's not important which one it is) and I can't find (for love nor money) an SMF backing, AND there's no arranger style - that's appropriate - on my PA1x.

BUT

I found a dance remix of the song I want, AND being a (slight) remix, it has a minimal backing (eg no guitars or backing/lead vocals)

SO

I get to use a great sounding, thumping, appropriate backing track, and play a nice dirty Organ (ooh err) part, and sing backing, while my wife does a big lead vocal and nifty guitar part.

It'll be a "like the record" sound (something that we aim for) AND sound like "us" (something we aim for too) and the sound quality really will trump an SMF or a style (not that I'm dumping on THAT because we use both, much more than MP3s).

Isn't an MP3 just another form of backing, another avenue, another tool to use when others have been exhausted, or aren't available at all in a solo/duo situation?

Having that option saved my bacon this week I can tell you.

(Do I have to say "peace out"?)

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#237984 - 07/14/08 02:27 AM Re: Food for thought about G series
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I think that is exactly what MP3's should be used for, other than break music. There are some songs that are so specific that live backing is not feasable, no matter what level you are.

#237985 - 07/14/08 11:56 AM Re: Food for thought about G series
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:
I think that is exactly what MP3's should be used for, other than break music. There are some songs that are so specific that live backing is not feasable, no matter what level you are.

And that is what DJ's are for, IMO.

Since when did it become imperative to cover EVERY tune, whether we can play it or not? Be careful, folks. As soon as singing over a backing track provided by the artist (or their record company) becomes acceptable entertainment, all you are left with is karaoke...

Trust me, when the audience hears something IDENTICAL to the record with you singing over it, there goes any pretense that you have had anything whatsoever to do with the playing, and the words 'karaoke' rightly spring to mind of your audience (and employers).

Personally, someone comes up and requests a tune we don't do, I have no problems telling them 'we don't do that one... here's something else you might like'. Maybe I'm just in a different market, but I've never felt the need to go out and start singing karaoke over a remix, just to do that one song...

And, before we forget it, if you actually ARE using an arranger (you know, actually PLAYING it rather than using it it as a karaoke machine ) NOT ONE of your tunes sounds identical to a record. Hasn't stopped you from being successful, has it? Why the need to sound identical? You know, every time I hear a major artist cover another's song, somehow, magically, they never even TRY to sound identical to the original. In fact, most of the time, they try to sound as different as they can. And yet this results in success for them... Maybe there's something we can learn from this?

The audience doesn't care if you play it identically... just well!

#237986 - 07/14/08 01:27 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Surprise, surprise. I'm in the Ian, Chas, Diki corner when it comes to the subject of mp3's.

But that's simply a function of my orientation and approach to music performance, and not meant to knock another approach.

It's just not my style. And if a national act...ANY national act, came on my bandstand and wanted to use mp3's or even wanted to call the tunes,other than to suggest material, I'd ask them to leave. Obviously, that approach wouldn't be appropriate for anyone else and I'm not recommending it. Anyone who can hold their own on MY bandstand is welcome. But I call the shots, and a certain level of respect for the job is essential. If they can't cut it on my material, they don't need to be there.

So there!

Russ

#237987 - 07/14/08 01:35 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
miden Offline

Loc: The World
And its not appropriate for you either.

It shows a total lack of respect for that persons art, and exposes your total arrogance..something not desired in a musician.

#237988 - 07/14/08 02:01 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Miden, you have no idea how little your opinion matters to me. I tried to ignore your caustic attitude before, but now I just choose to suggest that we simply ignore each other.

We will never be on the same page and I have no interest in ANY interaction with you, ever.

Russ Lay

#237989 - 07/14/08 03:03 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Wow Russ..it's looks like you have a lot in common with Chas, Diki and Ian..

#237990 - 07/14/08 03:11 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Yes I can see that by way of your reply.

For my part, you were finished with me after the issue with Zuki, when he and I were looking to swap some keyboards earlier this year...

I suggested he ask you about helping out with shipping to Australia and you told him you cannot do anything about shipping to Australia.
Yet you told ME,(when you and I were talking about a swap of your then G70 for a SD1+) shortly before Zuki approached you, that shipping to Australia was no problem as you already dealt with an Australian company and were shipping all the time..(I still have your email on that)

So, yes from that time on I considered you as a person of a non-reliable nature, and treated everything you said with a "pinch of salt" so to speak, and a measure of scepticism.

So, in conclusion, I have pretty much the same attitude toward you.

But I have to say that, apart from voicing my thoughts, I have actually DONE nothing to you, as far as I know, nor made disparaging remarks OUTSIDE this forum.

#237991 - 07/14/08 03:37 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Wow Russ..it's looks like you have a lot in common with Chas, Diki and Ian..

Please don't change, Fran...we'd like to remember you as you aren't.

Ian

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online