Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#237972 - 07/13/08 11:20 AM Re: Food for thought about G series
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Chas,
Methinks you have spoken too much on this sub-subject; most of it pure crap.

There wasn't a hint of fecal matter here until THAT sentence, cassp. But at least it serves to demonstrate your attitude and vocabulary.... My condolences.

Quote:
This forum is for people who PLAY arrangers, if you're going to knock the use of the new developments maybe you should expect some criticism.

This forum is rapidly turning into one for people that press 'Play', not actually PLAY the arranger, as big a difference as perhaps between those that play keyboards, and those that hold down a one finger chord, and play a simple melody over it, and claim they know how to 'play music'.

It's not whether it's one finger, two finger, seven finger, whatever, it whether the bloody chords are RIGHT with whatever method you chose, or whether the melody is correct or whether you can play a solo over the changes that isn't embarrassing to listen to. Which, from listening to innumerable user demos over the last couple of years, I would say is darn few...

The thing is, an arranger makes it possible to play something that sounds pretty decent (if you have no idea in the first place) out of something that, if played on a keyboard that didn't actually do everything for you, would sound like the worst thing you ever heard. But whether you allow this to convince yourself that YOU are actually playing it all, or stay honest and try to recognize that you are merely the conduit for the ARRANGER to actually play it will be a sign of your integrity and musical honesty.

Simple question.... are you playing the arranger, or is it playing you?

If you are going to PROMOTE the use of new developments and technologies, perhaps you should expect some criticism, also...
-----------------------------------------------

OTOH... lyrics viewers, sheet music displays? Best thing since sliced bread! You don't HAVE to use them (as you don't HAVE to use almost any auto stuff in an arranger, depending on skill level), but they are sure handy when you do... After all, no-one criticizes the NY Philharmonic for using charts, or the Duke Ellington Orchestra, despite those being players that could easily memorize their charts

Ah.... technology Some of it enhances the player, and some of it diminishes him or her. Which part you chose to embrace says a lot about your musicianship...

#237973 - 07/13/08 11:35 AM Re: Food for thought about G series
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
"What do you think Junior will be happier to see... A guy with karaoke tracks for him to sing over, or a professional rhythm section with taste and chops and ears? "

Diki..I guess you do not have experience with these drop in celeb acts...

They all prefer and rely on their own backing tracks..usually a CD..In fact they carry the Cd's with them..some even use remote players to play the CD's..

The key is "drop in"..not a scheduled performance...and yes we do back acts the latter way too..

A solo artist[singer] is more likely and willing to sing with me backing her/him by myself...usually just piano and left hand bass..with drums...

#237974 - 07/13/08 11:52 AM Re: Food for thought about G series
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Well, E X C U S E me, Mr. all- knowing Diki.

BTW, it looks as though the features you like are OK, but not the others...

#237975 - 07/13/08 12:14 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Chas,
Methinks you have spoken too much on this sub-subject; most of it pure crap.

Well, sounds like the Gods have spoken. At least we know the location of the only opinion that matters. So yassuh, mista Cassp, suh. I guess I just go sit down and shut up now. Guess I forgot my place.

chas

#237976 - 07/13/08 01:00 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
cassp Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Well, sounds like the Gods have spoken. At least we know the location of the only opinion that matters. So yassuh, mista Cassp, suh. I guess I just go sit down and shut up now. Guess I forgot my place.

chas

Let me clarify, Chas. You and Diki went off on this topic and it just seemed to me to be a lot of words and not much substance. When you and Diki get started, it's hard for me to keep track of who's the pope . I usually don't get nasty and I apologize for getting nasty with you. It's just that I wasn't in the mood for all this pontificating when all Fran asked was if we thought an mp3 feature would be forthcoming in a new Roland G machine. I really could care less for most opinions regarding OMBs, including mine. So let's call a truce and go home happy. Same apololgy applies to Diki - I'm sorry for calling you names

#237977 - 07/13/08 01:50 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Let me clarify, Chas. You and Diki went off on this topic and it just seemed to me to be a lot of words and not much substance. When you and Diki get started, it's hard for me to keep track of who's the pope . I usually don't get nasty and I apologize for getting nasty with you. It's just that I wasn't in the mood for all this pontificating when all Fran asked was if we thought an mp3 feature would be forthcoming in a new Roland G machine. I really could care less for most opinions regarding OMBs, including mine. So let's call a truce and go home happy. Same apololgy applies to Diki - I'm sorry for calling you names

Hey, don't apologize to Diki. He'll take that as a sign of weakness......and then you're dead .

Seriously, no need for a truce as I was never at war. With the possible exception of Rikki, all of us here have posted something at one time or another that has rankled SOMEbody; Diki and I just do it more frequently than others. We also have to face up to fact that sometimes the truth makes us a little uncomfortable. Funny thing is, if I read back all your posts over the last 6 months or so, I would walk away with the clear impression that the XK1 is your favorite keyboard; maybe not the most used or the most practical, but definitely the most enjoyable. IF that's true, then you should be somewhat sympathetic to my point of view (not necessarily the RIGHT point of view, just MY point of view).

Look, these types of 'discussions' always occur when we start to blur the lines between making good music and making good entertainment; between making good money and fulfilling one's soul. Those who are able to combine the two lead rich and rewarding lives; those who can't become either the poor, homeless, tortured souls represented by so many ultra-talented jazz musicians, or............Ashley Simpson. There's also those that sit around pontificating on the pro's and con's of each. I resemble that remark .

We should never be so arrogant as to think that only OUR opinions have value or who should or should not be allowed to speak. That sounds too much like organized religion, and you know how Ian and I feel about that .

Chas, "change we can believe in"

#237978 - 07/13/08 03:35 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
Diki Offline

I don't care one way or the other with whether you like my opinion or not, cassp.... and I reserve the right to feel the same way about yours. But what you WON'T see me write is that your opinions are 'pure crap', even if I thought it...

No-one expects everyone to agree here, it would be a dull place if they did, but what we should be able to do is disagree with each other without becoming verbally abusive. That's all...

Is that too hard?

#237979 - 07/13/08 03:43 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
Diki Offline

Has it occurred to you, Fran, that many of these 'celeb' singers do this precisely because it IS getting harder and harder for them to sit in with any bands that CAN play their material decently?

Back in my day of cabaret backing, they merely turned up with charts, and expected the band to be able to play them well. Perhaps now, when half the time they turn up at places that don't even have a real band, just some kind of karaoke act masquerading as a band, it is merely more expedient for them to provide their own tracks? Expecting the house act to be able to really play seems rarer and rarer...

#237980 - 07/13/08 03:48 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
cassp Offline

Gee, Diki does that mean you do or don't accept my apology?

#237981 - 07/13/08 04:07 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
Diki Offline

Oh... that was an apology?

The thing is, cassp, you are no moderator here. If you don't like the direction a thread is going in, there's always the 'back' button. It isn't your place to castigate those getting OT (or you'd be doing nothing else all day long!). And, before you criticize the mote in your brother's eye, consider how many times YOU might have drifted OT yourself... (and haven't received a verbal slap for doing so).

You might have noticed that SZ is FAR from a technical, 'stay on topic' forum, more of a kaffeklatz, free-wheeling discussion type of place. Probably 50% or more of the threads go OT from time to time. You might also consider (as I pointed out earlier) that a discussion about whether the G70 will get an mp3 player is probably going to bring up a discussion about the necessity or lack thereof for the darn things in the first place...

But, like I said, should discussions like this get up your nose, consider the 'back' button before you call someone's opinions 'pure crap' next time, eh?

'Apology' accepted...

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online