SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#237952 - 07/12/08 03:02 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Thanks for the clarification guy`s !!

So what you need with a built in MP3 player is total integration and file control within the keyboard.

Got it !!

Thanks ,

Gary 

#237953 - 07/12/08 03:22 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

There is and has been on the work table a new Roland top of the line arranger work station...(GX90)??

Not only does it have an MP3 player, but 8 track recording...(secret specs)...

This was known in January this year Fran, when Roland were still considering a replacement.. But according to Roland Australia through their rep, nothing this year.

The GW-8, and maybe some further upgrades to the E-80 at Winter NAMM, but thats about it.

But if Roland go to historical form, when they go into these really quiet stages of development they usually end it with a machine that absolutley blows everything away.

So I reckon in about 12-18 months we will see something pretty stunning, along the lines of the Audya.

I think they pulled the pin because they found some of the issues that are still dogging Ketron. But of course, this is only speculation on my part, but it does make sense...... to me

Dennis

#237954 - 07/12/08 04:15 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
C'mon, chas..! Give us all a break, here!

'Amateur hour', indeed First of all, this is the "general' arranger forum, NOT the 'pro' forum, so there are LOTS of 'amateurs' here in the first place. Secondly, this is an arranger forum, so let's face it, the primary thrust of this place is for players who DO use some kind of artificial backing. It certainly isn't a 'pro' KEYBOARD player hangout (you know, the ones who play with bands, exclusively - there are plenty other forums where you can go and poke fun at players that use machines and be in like minded company!)...

Now, you know my feelings about mp3's, but they primarily apply to the worry that, after making them from SMF's or live players, whatever, if you upgrade your keyboard, the backing still stays the same, so not much change to your sound. And they lose the flexibility of being able to mute parts if a player sits in, artifacts in the sound if you transpose them or change their tempo's, etc., or just generally mucking with them while you play.

But the mp3 is, in effect, no different to an SMF backing. How much, or how little is in them is entirely up to the player (if he makes them himself). Bass and drums and that's it could be all they contain.

Now, I know you don't play arrangers out at all, but probably most here, if they gig at all, probably gig with the arranger (makes sense, given the forum title!), some use just the arranger section, some just SMF's, but most probably a combination. And mp3's, for all their problems, can be used pretty exchangeably with SMFs for backing.

I know you only play out with full bands, but in today's economical climate, most of us don't have the luxury of saying that, if the band can't find a booking for tonight, we'll just sit at home and collect Social Security We go out and do solo work, duo work, whatever we can find. And this entails some backing, if the venue wants more than a cocktail pianist. Arranger, SMF's, mp3's, it really doesn't matter which, once you decide to go down the autobahn.

So give a little slack to a keyboard that includes all three methods of backing a player... not all of us are retired and can pick and chose our gigs and band personnel with no financial considerations!

#237955 - 07/12/08 05:45 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
kla4 Offline

Loc: NL
Sure most of us are amateurs and play arrangers. But it's a bit weird when guys who claim to be a PRO need an MP3 or SMF player onboard ?!
I'm with Chas, he's right.

#237956 - 07/12/08 06:07 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
miden Offline

Deleted this post as it was not really in keeping with the OP.

Dennis

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 07-12-2008).]

#237957 - 07/12/08 06:57 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Look, there's a lot of bull being bandied around here...

Let us not forget that SMFs are merely long form arranger loops (or the other way around ), and mp3's are merely an audio form of that... Plenty of people salivating over the possible addition of these so-called audio loops to their arrangers.

Let us also not forget that most pros, and maybe a few amateurs here can actually play with TWO hands, not sit there with their left hand tied up making simple chords for the arranger to do all the work. If you think you are actually PLAYING a keyboard to your best ability by holding down a chord and playing a melody in the RH, boy, have I got news for you! You are doing no more, and probably a lot less actual PLAYING than someone using both hands to their fullest over an SMF rhythm section.

And, once again, I repeat... just because YOU might have only tried playing over full, commercially made SMF's doesn't mean you HAVE to. An SMF can be as little as a drum part, or maybe bass and drums for a song. The rest, if you have the skill, can be done entirely by playing. Don't blame the tool for how SOME use it...

The way I see it, you use ANY auto accompaniment at all, whether arranger, SMF or MP3, it's all exactly the same. How much, or little of it is you, and how much is the backing depends entirely on your skill, and desire to play. Don't forget, you can make SMF's out of arranger output, and then fine tune them to a degree that simple arranger only play cannot approach, and then actually PLAY fully two handed over them, while still being able to use Markers in the SMF to re-order the song structure.

Welcome to the 21st century, kla4, take a look around and realize that things have changed. And how some things have stayed the same. 'Pros' have ALWAYS used whatever technology exists to make their shows the best they can. Amateurs can afford to pigeon-hole themselves into one technique for it's own sake, whether it suits the song or not. It's not like they HAVE to do it the best it can or they lose their gig!

#237958 - 07/12/08 07:44 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Diki, you know I agree with you 90% of the time (maybe even 95% ), and much of what you say is true, however, I still hold that I don't see the point of using pre-programmed backing (in whatever form) for a bar/club/lounge-type gig. There is a difference between what we generally think of as a 'gig' and a 'show'. A show is a PRODUCTION where the 'band' is not the primary focus. If the band WERE the focus of the 'show', then they'd be playing live. I really don't have a problem (and who would care if I did) with using an arranger in a OMB situation (although if I were a paying customer I'd personally rather hear solo piano), but in a BAND, as in three or more, I just can't see it. My own feeling is that I don't think arranger keyboards were ever intended as a professional performance instrument, anymore than the auto-accompaniment organs that preceded them. Sure, the technology is there, the sounds are there, the price is certainly there. But there is no way you're going to convince me that a keyboard with little instrument and drum icons painted under the keys is an instrument designed for professional players in professional venues.

As far as Herbie Hancock using backing tracks, I've been watching Herbie since he played with Miles (at least 25 times in person) and I've never seen him using any backing tracks.

As far as being retired and financially able to pick and choose gigs, isn't that one of most common goals of most musicians?

Look, I don't want to pick a fight and I probably shouldn't have shown such disdain at the concept of calling the playing of mp3's a gig. I guess I'm just 'ol' skool' where playing a gig meant 'playing' a gig. Hey, different strokes for different folks, right.

Hey, I still enjoy my arrangers (the Tyros2, not so much) but hardly play them anymore as I'm still trying to get my chops back on organ (you know the joy of rediscovery, after a long hiatus). Plus, when I hear that 'B3' voice (even if it's coming from a Nord C1), it still makes my sphincter tighten up the way no synth ever has. Have a good one.

chas

#237959 - 07/12/08 08:49 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by kla4:
But it's a bit weird when guys who claim to be a PRO need an MP3 or SMF player onboard ?!
I'm with Chas, he's right.

Ditto.

#237960 - 07/12/08 08:51 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
Dnj Offline

What does any of this Purism BS have to do with the G series as in the topic title?

#237961 - 07/12/08 08:58 PM Re: Food for thought about G series
miden Offline

Absolutely NOTHING!! And I apologise for getting caught up in the hijack of the thread.

We should all, either make a comment directly related to the OP or keep quiet, or create another thread.

Dennis

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online