SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#237663 - 07/08/08 08:55 AM Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
Dnj Offline

Being T3 is on its way soon.....what do you think the next generation S Series keyboards will have?

#237664 - 07/08/08 09:31 AM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I've been pretty hard on Yammie over the years regarding their PSR line, but the only thing I felt the (S) Series could use is a better quality set of pitch/mod wheels. Sounds and Styles are great. I was glad to see the cheesy painted buttons gone, but they're still using cheap quality wheels.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#237665 - 07/08/08 10:39 AM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
mc Offline

Loc: New York
Well, for starters
a) a better location for the usb input.
b) a hard drive option

that's it for me.

#237666 - 07/08/08 12:12 PM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
76 keys? NOT....
A better keybed? NOT....
A better harmonizer? ... NOT....

S900 is already the 'trickle down' T2. It's going to be a few years before we get a 'trickle down' T3, IMO.

#237667 - 07/08/08 12:20 PM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
76 keys? NOT....
A better keybed? NOT....
A better harmonizer? ... NOT....

76 keys

Ah, never mind we have a better chance of hitting a Power Ball jackpot or Megamillions or whatever they call it where you live

#237668 - 07/08/08 01:24 PM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
The most important part of any keyboard is the key-bed.

That being agreed on , the only thing that will bring the "S" series to where it should be for the price point of the S900 would be the inclusion of the FSX key-bed with after touch.

Without a good working surface , ( key-bed ) you might as well not have any SA voices at all.

IMO

Gary 

#237669 - 07/08/08 01:25 PM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by mc:
Well, for starters
a) a better location for the usb input.
b) a hard drive option

that's it for me.

I agree a better input location for all to one side or the other for sure.

#237670 - 07/08/08 01:27 PM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jedi:
The most important part of any keyboard is the key-bed.

That being agreed on , the only thing that will bring the "S" series to where it should be for the price point of the S900 would be the inclusion of the FSX key-bed with after touch.

Without a good working surface , ( key-bed ) you might as well not have any SA voices at all.

IMO

Gary 

In Yamaha's eyes the S series is a hugh selling success...so they must be doing something right & the customers love it or they wouldn't buy it.

#237671 - 07/08/08 01:45 PM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Yes Donny that is true , but you yourself know the importance of a good key-bed.

That is why the T-3 will be huge , just the simple fact that is has the better key-bed is a very big plus.

To use the SA voices to there full potential an expressive key-bed is needed and the S series key-bed is just not built for that kind of velocity and expression.

You will be getting a T-3 , if you like the Yamaha OS and it`s features.

I like them too

Later

Gary 

#237672 - 07/08/08 01:50 PM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
Diki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
In Yamaha's eyes the S series is a hugh selling success...so they must be doing something right & the customers love it or they wouldn't buy it.

Makes you wonder why they would bring out another model at all, then, if it is already perfect...

That's the whole point of new models... either they improve on the original, or they are just sucking you out of money for sucking's sake (and that sucks, doesn't it? )

Might as well not improve anything YOU'D like as well, with that rationale, Donny... It sells well enough with a fragile and impractical USB location, without Transpose as an MFD parameter, without a HD location, with a shitty vocalizer, etc., etc.. They obviously know what they are doing...

#237673 - 07/08/08 01:56 PM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
Dnj Offline

shitty hehe Yes there needs to be improvements....but remember everyone has their "own personal needs & wishes" which may or may-not be good for the next player.....as a manufacturer you have to see this as a whole world wide picture & entirely generalize your designs to please the majorities needs not just a few.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-08-2008).]

#237674 - 07/08/08 02:28 PM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I'm pretty happy with the present S900 keybed.

Pretty happy with the rubber buttons too.

I'd like to see an adjustable screen, a better Vocal Harmonizer, another pedal input, and more effects blocks.

Also, I'd like to see the DSP Variation buttons moved to the left side.

Ian

#237675 - 07/08/08 03:49 PM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Since Diki didn't suggest it, I will:
A CHORD SEQUENCER!!!

Basically I am looking for a "chord bank" where you can pre-load the chord/bass entries that feed the arranger. During playback you can still change styles, variations, fills etc. on the fly. Playing over a chord bank or chord sequencer represents a halfway point between playing the chords in real time, and playing over a stored arrangement. It leaves your left hand (mostly) free for fills, variations and working the pitch bender.

This feature is so incredibly useful, I can't believe it was allowed to disappear back in 2001 with the lowly PSR-225. C'mon Yammy bring it back on the "PSR-S910". -Ted

[This message has been edited by TedS (edited 07-08-2008).]

#237676 - 07/08/08 03:52 PM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
Dnj Offline

Just like I said above I would never use a chord sequencer...but it might be good for some....thats where the problems of upgrades lie.......if the masses dont use it it wont ever be introduced...thats why its gone

#237677 - 07/08/08 04:54 PM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
mc Offline

Loc: New York
I agree w/ Donny, They (yam) has made a ton of money on the psr(s) series because they put out a very good product. But with improvements there are costs and $1599 retail, you can't have everything. I remember when a psr 5700/6700/ etc, from 15-20 years ago cost about $3000-$4000 and the sound was no where near the sounds you get from psr s900. so now at least there are options, years ago if you wanted a good keyboard, you paid for it, now it is a lot more managable money wise.

[This message has been edited by mc (edited 07-08-2008).]

#237678 - 07/08/08 05:16 PM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
Dnj Offline

Mario good points.....what Yamaha put into a $1599.99 KB is amazing.....some people want it all without paying for it....& to take the next step for about a $1000.00 or so more you can go TOTL still a bargain musically if you think about it & it gives you enjoyment!

#237679 - 07/08/08 05:38 PM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
When the S-900 came out I spent three hours playing with the keyboard at a local GC. It has lots of incredible features, some design problems, particularly with the screen and location of the USB port. Overall, IMO, it's the best bang for the buck today--BAR NONE! I stuck with the PSR-3000s simply because the upgrade would have essentially been a downgrade to me. I like having the Smart Media Card, I can see the 3000s screen in marginal conditions and while seated, and I'm very happy with the sounds.

If Yamaha comes out with an S-series upgrade that has a MUCH better screen, hard drive option, 61-KEYS, weighs under 30 pounds and a card reader I'll buy a pair of them--even if they cost $2,000 each.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#237680 - 07/08/08 05:50 PM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
Dnj Offline

Gary just get two T3's !!!

Coming very soon

#237681 - 07/09/08 02:38 AM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
LindaFus Offline

Loc: Ledyard, CT USA
2or3 choices of the OS to purchase. Buy the OS with the options in it you want/need.

Two S-series bodies - 76 key and 61 key

USB port on the side
USB port for external keyboard input
Adjustable monitor
Built in Wifi

#237682 - 07/09/08 04:20 AM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
You asked!!!

Do something about the worst key feel on the market...that includes the cheapest keyboard controllers too!!!!

Start listening to what players want...76 keys (if you improve the feel and make them "full" size)..
Improve the harmonizer...Yamaha has had enough time (repackaged) to do something with their vocal harmonizer..

Improve the over-all quality (construction)..and maybe it won't come across as a toy...so much!!!!

At $1,500..there is plenty of profit margin to take some cheapness out of this series...and make it a better product..

"Drop the hype and make it right"...

#237683 - 07/09/08 05:09 AM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
ianmcnll Offline

You've made some valid points Fran...well said.

Ian

#237684 - 07/09/08 05:42 AM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
"Drop the hype and make it right"...

and then you'll buy a Yamaha?

#237685 - 07/09/08 11:51 AM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
Diki Offline

You have to understand the inherent craziness in pooh-poohing someone ELSE'S needs for improvement in a product by saying that the line is already a "huge selling success" and "they must be doing something right & the customers love it or they wouldn't buy it", and then going straight ahead and listing YOUR OWN needs in this apparently perfect product

Either the product needs improvement, or it doesn't. It is egotistical beyond belief to assume that YOUR needs are legitimate, but anyone else's that you don't agree with are unnecessary. The simple fact that even those with the highest regard for this product can see areas where it could be improved. If they are allowed to list their needs without knee-jerk "it's already perfect' tripe poured down their throats, why do the rest of us get such a hostile response?

If it could do with "an adjustable screen, a better Vocal Harmonizer, another pedal input, and more effects blocks. Also, the DSP Variation buttons moved to the left side", what is SO wrong with asking for a better keybed, and even a longer one...?

Or is it that all YOUR needs are so much more, how should I put it, IMPORTANT than mine (and many, many others)?

#237686 - 07/09/08 12:07 PM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Why would anyone want a hard drive? USB drives are so much more versatile, lighter, easier to transfer data. I don't see a noticeable decrease in speed.
Unless you are loading LOTS of WAV files, I can't see a reason for a hard drive. I have many pages of text files, styles and midi files, and have barely touched the capacity of a 2-gig drive. I keep a 4-gig for WAV recording only. I slip this card out of the kb and into the PC, listen and delete most of them, and sometimes store the good ones for later use.
DonM

#237687 - 07/09/08 12:46 PM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
ianmcnll Offline

I'm a selfish guy...only concerned with MY needs.

My needa are important to ME...anyone can list their own...I won't disagree, but they won't necessarily be MY needs.

Better keybed, longer keybed...why?

If 61 is enough, and the keybed feels fine to ME, and, the cost is kept low, at or near the price I want(or can afford) to pay?

Naaah...just change what I want.

Ian the Self-centered.

#237688 - 07/09/08 02:01 PM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Why would anyone want a hard drive? USB drives are so much more versatile, lighter, easier to transfer data. I don't see a noticeable decrease in speed.
Unless you are loading LOTS of WAV files, I can't see a reason for a hard drive. I have many pages of text files, styles and midi files, and have barely touched the capacity of a 2-gig drive. I keep a 4-gig for WAV recording only. I slip this card out of the kb and into the PC, listen and delete most of them, and sometimes store the good ones for later use.
DonM

Don there are still KB's that dont have USB only to Device like my Tyros .....& Thumb Drives are not 60-80G etc. yet.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-09-2008).]

#237689 - 07/09/08 02:22 PM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Just to echo an item from Donny's wish list which I'd also love to see -

Yamaha, please make the simple software change and implement Music Finder key transpose settings with the ability for the user to update the music finder listings without replacing the whole file! I'd love to have music finder remember my transpose settings. And it would not require any hardware addons - just a couple hours of a programmer's time.

Here's hoping we all get our wishes in the next release.

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#237690 - 07/09/08 02:36 PM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Don there are still KB's that dont have USB only to Device like my Tyros .....& Thumb Drives are not 60-80G etc. yet.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-09-2008).]

Yes, but we're talking about a new keyboard here and it will surely have USB storage as the S900 does.
How could you ever fill up 60 gigs? My Midjay has a 20-gig hd and holds way more than I ever will need. It is filled with styles I'll never use, MP3s I'll never play and WAV files I'll never use, plus sound effects and loops.
Hard drives are way more susceptible to damage and wear. Solid state drives are the wave of the future, even in PCs. Many of the new mini-laptops are coming with solid state drives.
DonM

#237691 - 07/09/08 03:11 PM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Quote:
Yes, but we're talking about a new keyboard here and it will surely have USB storage as the S900 does.
How could you ever fill up 60 gigs? My Midjay has a 20-gig hd and holds way more than I ever will need. It is filled with styles I'll never use, MP3s I'll never play and WAV files I'll never use, plus sound effects and loops.
Hard drives are way more susceptible to damage and wear. Solid state drives are the wave of the future, even in PCs. Many of the new mini-laptops are coming with solid state drives.
DonM

Can't argue with that at all. I have a 540-meg USB drive that is not even half filled and there are thousands of style and midi files on the drive. Only about 100 MP3s, of which I use 10 or 12 for breaks.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#237692 - 07/09/08 04:30 PM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
Dnj Offline

Quote:
DonM

You are absolutely right Don....BUT being I need one in this Tyros & the Hd prices have plummeted...I went for a what I have for now....of course I'll never use that storage......& on top of that I have a
100G laptop on stage
But for the times Im not using the LT Its nice to have a HD.

Carry On

#237693 - 07/10/08 05:57 PM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
Beakybird Offline

Not in order of importance:

1. All of the S.A. and Mega voices from Tyros II.
2. Improved harmonizer.
3. Better Direct Access options (like the PSR3000 had)
4. Dedicated Vocal Harmonizer button.
5. Dedicated Talk On/Off button.
6. Dedicated Vocal Effect On/Off button.
7. 3 pedal inputs.
8. Better access for USB drive.
9. Music Finder able to access USB Drive
10. Dedicated Style Creator Button.
11. Ability to load samples.
12. Ability to save sty files as prs, sst, etc. on the keyboard. So when you want to tweak a pro style it doesn't get saved as a different file.

Beakybird

#237694 - 07/10/08 10:25 PM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
Dnj Offline

Beaky & all thats for $1599.00?

#237695 - 07/11/08 02:26 AM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
Hi there - what about a decent music book stand that doesn't fall off!!! Joan

#237696 - 07/11/08 05:37 AM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
to the genesys Offline

"Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?"
No it is perfect and they could not fit anything else on it and keep it at $1599.

#237697 - 07/11/08 05:40 AM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
-Better location to USB port
-Better location for screen ( just modify the view angle )

Chico

#237698 - 07/11/08 07:59 AM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
sunny152 Offline

Loc: ap
I'm pretty happy with the present S900

I'd like to see
1.Adjustable screen
2.Front USB port
3.MP3 player
4.Hard disk
5.Master compressor
6.Digital SPDIF output
7.spongy key feel
8.Studio quality sound effects

Sunny

#237699 - 07/11/08 08:02 AM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
Dnj Offline

Sunny great improvement sufggestions but that will never happen at a $1599.00 price point. Lets keep this in mind before we "DREAM"

#237700 - 07/11/08 08:28 AM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
sunny152 Offline

Loc: ap
Quote:
Originally posted by sunny152:
I'm pretty happy with the present S900

I'd like to see
1.Adjustable screen
2.Front USB port
3.MP3 player
4.Hard disk
5.Master compressor
6.Digital SPDIF output
7.spongy key feel
8.Studio quality sound effects

Sunny

Don,If these features are introduced,i'll buy one even if it cost $2,000

Sunny

#237701 - 07/11/08 08:35 AM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
Dnj Offline

Sunny there has to be a margin between
Mid level & TOTL which if you look at your list is already included in the TYROS 2...on top of that remember what you or me need in an arranger may not be what the next guy needs or ever uses...lots of concerns for a manufacturer to decide on as to whats in & whats out because the bottom line is SALES!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-11-2008).]

#237702 - 07/11/08 01:03 PM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
Diki Offline

What confuses me is the HUGE gap in price between the S900 and it's next higher model, the T2. It's basically double...

Now, I like a good keybed action as much as the next guy (if not more! ), and a few more SA voices are nice, but it is VERY hard to come up with a production figure that justifies that doubling of cost... What on earth in the T2 is worth TWO S900's? It certainly isn't the sampler. WAY too slow load times, and very little content available. It's not the harmonizer - most think it's very similar...

The thing is, for all the Yamaha apologizers, here is a hole in Yamaha's pricing structure that would be perfect to put an arranger in that was a step up from the S900 in construction, keyfeel and a few OS features (and maybe better quality D/A's), but primarily a 'pro' version of an S900, with a 76. Price it about $2500, and it would sit at a grand more than the S900, and a grand less than the T2.

Well out of each existing product's price range. I think that this could be quite a well received product, which wouldn't scavenge existing sales (especially if it were 76 - no sales to scavenge at all in THAT size!). I would definitely consider one...

#237703 - 07/12/08 07:46 AM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
i will bite my lip unless you force me dikki to explain !!!!:-)

#237704 - 07/12/08 12:07 PM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
Diki Offline

No force needed, spalding.

You either want to tell us or you don't...

#237705 - 07/12/08 09:25 PM Re: Any NEXT Yamaha S Series Arranger Wish List Ideas?.....
Dnj Offline

On Yamaha units I'd like to see Ketron features I loved...

BASS LOCK/DRUM LOCK/

which let you HOLD the bass line or drum pattern of one of the variations & continue to another variation.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online