SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#237141 - 07/01/08 02:27 PM Re: PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
jwyvern Offline

Try to get an approved make already formatted to FAT 32 for minimum hassle. Failing that try to get a HD smaller than 32Gb, otherwise you'll have to go through extra hoops to get it formatted to FAT32 on WinXP (or Vista). According to literature although XP does support larger preformatted FAT32 drives it will refuse to carry out the actual formatting process.

John

#237142 - 07/01/08 02:37 PM Re: PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Donny I put a link to the official Yamaha list in an earlier post?? You didn't see it?

Dennis

Here it is again.. http://www.yamahapkclub.com/tyros/info/hd.htm
Now these are all old drives now, but newer offerings from the same manufacturers would more than likely work.

Apart from that the Yamaha forum would have some more up to date choices I guess.

Cheers

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 07-01-2008).]

Thanx Dennis I got it now///

#237143 - 07/01/08 02:37 PM Re: PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jwyvern:
Try to get an approved make already formatted to FAT 32 for minimum hassle. Failing that try to get a HD smaller than 32Gb, otherwise you'll have to go through extra hoops to get it formatted to FAT32 on WinXP (or Vista). According to literature although XP does support larger preformatted FAT32 drives it will refuse to carry out the actual formatting process.

John

Excactly Im looking for a FAT32 formatted on as we speak...

Thanx

#237144 - 07/01/08 07:40 PM Re: PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

I threw the two HD's out the window of my car on the parkway with anger!

WOW!!! ... an ANGRY litterbug ... and all before 10AM !!!

You should have gone to breakfast with UD and Fran !!!

Glad things have apparently worked out ...
t.

#237145 - 07/01/08 08:41 PM Re: PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
I have a Fujitsu 20 GB Hard Drive on my Tyros and it works like a charm. Going on 5 years now and not so much as a hiccup... Fujitsu Hard Drives are known for their reliability. I don't think you can get the 20GB anymore though. 40 Gigs is the smallest one you can get now, but the Tyros is supposed to be able to handle up to a 40GB drive.

Congrats on your new (used) Tyros "1" Donny. I am still finding out new things about my Tyros to this day. I also recently took it apart again (what can I say, I like to tinker!?!?!.. ) and gave it a good cleaning and going over using a quality contact cleaner and after I got her back together the button issue where I had to press somewhat harder to get some of the buttons to engage was fixed and now those buttons work as they should. I've thought about selling it a time or two but I don't think I could get what I think its worth so I'll probably hang on to her until she gives up the ghost. Which quite possibly could be many years from now.

Best,
Mike

PS: Do a google search and you'll notice that the big name music entertainers that own a high end Yamaha arranger own a Tyros "1" and not the Tyros2. I couldn't understand it either until I realized that once they owned the totl Tyros"1" they never felt it necessary to do the upgrade boogie like so many others apparently did. >> And will do again now that the T3 is coming out soon... I guess one good thing that comes out of it is that it helps to stimulate the world economy. And of course Yamaha's bottom line too. Although, quite possibly many bankruptcy filings as well. [img]http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/biggrin.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 07-01-2008).]

#237146 - 07/01/08 09:03 PM Re: PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
OTOH, if Yammie made a 76 key Tyros3 I would have been one of the first ones in line to have gotten one. But we all know that Yammie likes to play it safe and they're sticking to their 61 key guns. Much to everyone's chagrin. Well.. at least up to 50% of arranger players chagrin anyway.

Best,
Mike

PS: I heard the new "sampled" Piano on the T3 and I didn't really think the demo was extraordinarily above and beyond what's already on my Tyros, which is the same exact one that's also on the T2. I will need to hear the T3 in person before I can form an accurate opinion of the new sampled piano though. I'm sure Yamaha will sell boat loads of the T3 just like they did with the T1 and T2. It is true that they are marketing geniuses and keep giving the new versions "just" enough to tempt people to do the upgrade boogie. Except those who simply refuse to take their carrot stick... like lil' ol' me for one..

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 07-01-2008).]

#237147 - 07/01/08 09:16 PM Re: PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
WOW!!! ... an [b]ANGRY litterbug ... and all before 10AM !!!

Glad things have apparently worked out ...
t.

[/B]

WOW!!! ... an ANGRY litterbug ... and all before 10AM !!!

[/b][/QUOTE]

I did that yesterday !!!! it cost me a Small Fortune $$$$$$$$$ man can he eat! But what are friends for?

#237148 - 07/01/08 09:19 PM Re: PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
Dnj Offline

Mike add another pro to the Love Tyros vs T2 list....for many reasons I like it better also all around & I've had em both now....

#237149 - 07/02/08 04:47 AM Re: PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
jwyvern Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Mike add another pro to the Love Tyros vs T2 list....for many reasons I like it better also all around & I've had em both now....

I can understand why people can stick by the medium range and older machines because if you treat them good ie. creative setups and playing technique they will sound every bit as good, or as near as makes no difference and fit for purpose. It's a bit more difficult to see why you'd actually PREFER a Ty1 to Ty2 though. Is it because you Pro guys use so much amplification which creates a sort of sonic level playing field at venues where all contending Yamaha models sound equal?

Maybe most people who are in a position to notice a difference in hi-fi quality between models and get any actual benefit are home users?

No snides, just curious

John

#237150 - 07/02/08 06:04 AM Re: PC GERUS...Help needed Hard Drive problem...
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Donny,
Here is a link to a 40gig drive that will work with your Tyros.
http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=t...snum=1&ct=title

I wouldn't think it is much of a job to just replace the hard drive. Getting things restored from the old drive is another story. Often impossible. Google for software that reads problem drives - you might have some luck.

Good luck,
Hammer

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online