SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#236664 - 06/23/08 01:12 PM Interesting reviews in this month's Keyboard Mag
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Hammond XK-3C..got a key buy award..

Roland RD-700GX said to raise the bar..again..

Groove Tubes Spacestation SFX MKII..got good marks..better than the older model..

#236665 - 06/23/08 02:14 PM Re: Interesting reviews in this month's Keyboard Mag
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
XK-3C sounded great in the Hammond booth. Was connected to the matching controller, full pedals and a Leslie.

R.

#236666 - 06/23/08 07:50 PM Re: Interesting reviews in this month's Keyboard Mag
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Russ... Any news about the XM-2 being updated?

I don't need waterfall keys, my G70's rounded keys work perfectly for most organ techniques (even if it doesn't trigger so shallowly), so a module seems my best bet.

So far, the Nord gets the nod, but I'd like Hammond's rack to be up to date for a fair comparison...

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 06-23-2008).]

#236667 - 06/23/08 07:56 PM Re: Interesting reviews in this month's Keyboard Mag
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Diki , the Keyboard Mag reviewer rates the Hammond far superior to the Nord..even the C1

#236668 - 06/23/08 08:22 PM Re: Interesting reviews in this month's Keyboard Mag
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sorry, Russ, just read the main NAMM review, disregard about the XM2...

Fran, I'm not too concerned with what Keyboard thinks... Have found them to be pretty biased in the past. I'm much more concerned about what works for ME (as still owning a G70 should make painfully obvious! )

#236669 - 06/24/08 02:18 AM Re: Interesting reviews in this month's Keyboard Mag
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
The Hammond is rated best through a Leslie. I am not about to lug a Leslie and bought the Nord Electro 61. The Leslie sim is great. At $1429 and 20 lbs, it is the next best thing to the real thing.
Bernie

#236670 - 06/24/08 07:31 AM Re: Interesting reviews in this month's Keyboard Mag
captain Russ Offline

I prefer the C-1/Motion Sound 145 combination, and I have played both.

The Hammond stuff was fine. The C-1 is more portable. If I didn't already have a C-1, I'd probably buy it over the Hammond for gigging. I was going to get a new Hammond for my basement, but decided to refinish/refurb a really old M (1949). It's probably not worth $200.00, but an older lady who had to go to an assisted living facility wanted it to have a good home (if was her fathers). I have $800.00 in it (including moving costs and a new motor-about $600.00 more than it's worth). It now works fine, so I'm going to have the cabinet and an old 145 refinished. It will have a place of honor at home. I have a B-3 at one job and a C-3 and little M-100 in the warehouse.

Impressed with what Hammond is doing to maintain tradition in updated ways. And, Tono Monoco is "da bomb"!

Russ

#236671 - 06/24/08 08:02 AM Re: Interesting reviews in this month's Keyboard Mag
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:
The Hammond is rated best through a Leslie. I am not about to lug a Leslie and bought the Nord Electro 61. The Leslie sim is great. At $1429 and 20 lbs, it is the next best thing to the real thing.
Bernie

Good Luck Bernie with the Nord can't wait to hear it !!

#236672 - 06/24/08 12:18 PM Re: Interesting reviews in this month's Keyboard Mag
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Diki , the Keyboard Mag reviewer rates the Hammond far superior to the Nord..even the C1

JMO. I think, with organs in particular, the quality of the player is much more important than the subtle differences between two very good B3 clones. So unless you're second coming of Jimmy Smith, I think such things like weight and portability would be more important to a second-tier player (I say 'second-tier' because that's who is most likely to be carrying their own equipment). Me, I never thought I'd see the day when I could have a pretty darn good representation of a complete 'B3 w/leslie' in a durable, 34lb. package. Would I trade my C1 for a XK3c + additional lower manual + Leslie? Yes (I'm not an idiot), but only if it never had to leave home OR I had a full-time roadie.

Let's face it, unless you're an organist and that is your primary instrument, buying either a C1 or an XK3c w/attachments, is probably a big waste of money. Something like an Electro makes much more sense (that is, if you think the organ voices on your arranger are not up to the quality of the rest of your musical presentation).

BTW, with all the interest in the latest technology, why all the interest in an instrument as 'dated' as a 'Hammond organ'. Next thing you know, we'll start to see an interest in digital representations of, dare I say it........pianos.

chas

#236673 - 06/24/08 12:55 PM Re: Interesting reviews in this month's Keyboard Mag
captain Russ Offline

Played the XK3c with pedals, lower board thru a Leslie at NAMM. Liked it, and thought of buying the combination for my house. Sounded great, but lots of dough an not nearly as suitable for one nighters as the Nord.

Works for me!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 06-24-2008).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online