SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#236329 - 06/17/08 08:24 PM My 2 cents on the PA2X...
hitman Offline

Loc: VA/ USA
Awesome key-feel; looks great; sounds slightly better than PA800;

Conclusion:
I think it does not justify the price difference. Same sound can be achieved with the PA800 with slight tweaking.
I am getting rid of it next week for a PA800 and some cash.

#236330 - 06/18/08 04:48 AM Re: My 2 cents on the PA2X...
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Hitman,

Interesting conclusion.

I guess the 76 key requirements would also dictate which one to keep. Also, in additional to sounds, I'm sure you know the Pa2 has more sample RAM, comes with MP3 board, hard disk, one additional Drawbar Footage, tiltable display, those 9 assignable faders, XLR Mic Jack, digital output, internal clock, and the battle tough metal case at only 39.68 lbs!

You could make a case for the $1,000.00 price differential on the additional features as long as you won't miss any of those "give back" features.

------------------
Al Giordano
http://www.arrangerworld.com

Korg Pa2xpro, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums, Roland TD-12 Vdrums, Roland SPD-S.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#236331 - 06/18/08 07:09 AM Re: My 2 cents on the PA2X...
hitman Offline

Al,

All those gadgets are nice but not worth $ 1000. Who in the world needs a 40gb HD? You can also install one in the Pa800 for $40 max. As far as sliders go, you can buy a behringer midi mixer for less than $100 and have many sliders and potentiometers. As far as sampling ram goes, I never managed to fill more than 30mb in any keyboard. I think that it's a rip off from Korg not to make keys that use standard computer ram. I am certainly not going to pay them over $ 200 for their SPECIAL ram .

Jes, I wish Kurzweil would make an arranger ! What do you guys think?

#236332 - 06/18/08 07:33 AM Re: My 2 cents on the PA2X...
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by hitman:
[B]Al,

All those gadgets are nice but not worth $ 1000. Who in the world needs a 40gb HD? You can also install one in the Pa800 for $40 max. As far as sliders go, you can buy a behringer midi mixer for less than $100 and have many sliders and potentiometers. As far as sampling ram goes, I never managed to fill more than 30mb in any keyboard. I think that it's a rip off from Korg not to make keys that use standard computer ram. I am certainly not going to pay them over $ 200 for their SPECIAL ram .

/B]

Hitman,

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, in my opinion the pA2xPro is worth every penny more. I had a PA800, nice board, but there's nothing like sitting down to 76 keys, tilting screen and extra sliders contained in one unit. I don't really need the 40 gig hard drive, not with high capacity ( 32 gig flash ram now avaliable).

Without mentioning names a friend of mine a frequent visitor to this board summed it up a few days ago in an e-mail to me when I asked which of the the 3 arrangers that he owns and uses does he like best Ketron, Korg or Yamaha?? His answer was he's extremely happy and disappointed with all of them. I thought that comment sums it up nicely. Most of us have not found the perfect board but one we like a bit better than others.

On a personal note, I'm not getting any younger I've worked hard and have been blessed with the resources to purchase what I like. Add that to a close friend and co-worker dropping dead in my office this past Monday afternoon, yes it's worth the $1000 extra. Life's too short.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 06-18-2008).]

#236333 - 06/18/08 08:00 AM Re: My 2 cents on the PA2X...
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
hitman,
YES, YES, YES, I wish Kurzweil made an arranger board!

I have a Kurzweil PC3 and had a K2600 before it. WOW, the sound is awesome!

If they chose to do it, did their normal job of doing their homework and asking users what they want, they would have a big winner! The only issue would be what style format to use. If they could either have a converter, or license with Yamaha (like Wersi did)that would be a killer board!

For all of you... if you want to see how a company should interact with their customers go to this site and spend some time reading:

http://community.sonikmatter.com/forums/index.php?showforum=83

Lee

[This message has been edited by leeboy (edited 06-18-2008).]

#236334 - 06/18/08 08:56 AM Re: My 2 cents on the PA2X...
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
I think the PA2X is definitely worth the extra cost over a PA800. While they do sound the same the extra keys, better keybed, real time sliders, XLR inputs, additional features, and the look itself are far more appealing than the PA800 to me. Of course YMMV but I'd pay the extra for the PA2X if I were in the market for an arranger. Now if only Korg would make an OASYS with the PA2X software added they'd really have something.

#236335 - 06/18/08 09:49 AM Re: My 2 cents on the PA2X...
hitman Offline

All I am saying guys is: for the price of a PA2x, I can buy a slightly used PA800 + a used Kurzweil K2661. The Pa2 can not come even close to that combination.

I could live with a price difference between the pa2 and PA800 of about $ 500. I am just angry that the pa2 does not offer much more. It is just basically a PA800.

#236336 - 06/18/08 09:53 AM Re: My 2 cents on the PA2X...
hitman Offline

Ensnare,

What additional features are you talking about??

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online