SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#234735 - 05/23/08 08:04 AM Yipee! Going to see one of my all-time favs
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
May 26 in Alpharetta, GA (my neighboring town) I'll be going to see Joe Cocker. It'll be the fifth time I've seen him over the years and I hope it won't be the last. He's 63 yrs. old and, given his early lifestyle, it's amazing he's even still alive. Apparently during the 70's and 80's, he made Keith Richards seem like a choirboy. Who knows, maybe all that stuff (sex drugs, and Rock 'n Roll) actually PROLONGS life (I certainly hope so, anyway ).

Although I think of myself as a 'jazzer', I've always loved good soulful stuff from any genre'. Maybe that's why I've always loved artists as diverse as Willy Nelson, Pavarotti, James Brown, Carlos Santana, Janis Joplin, Tony Bennett, Jimmy Smith, and yes, Joe Cocker. They all have/had at least two things in common; 'soul' to spare, and the fact that each of them was the 'genuine article'. To this day, I cannot fathom how anyone could find anything musically redeeming about a RECORD of say, Mick Jagger or Madonna, or Britney Spears (at least Christina Ag. can sing), or any of the myriad of others who have created legends around themselves and made vast fortunes on (highly) questionable talent (unless you consider self-promotion a talent). Oh well, there's no accounting for public taste. In a country where American Idol garners more participation than a national primary to elect the next 'leader of the free world', it's no wonder we end up with a GWB in the White House.

Anyway, he's double-billed with the Steve Miller Band. Should be interesting. I'll probably see a lot of aging Woodstock alumni there. Hope none of them decides to 'streak'. Remember that?

chas

#234736 - 05/23/08 08:23 AM Re: Yipee! Going to see one of my all-time favs
Dnj Offline

#234737 - 05/23/08 08:27 AM Re: Yipee! Going to see one of my all-time favs
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada

#234738 - 05/23/08 08:32 AM Re: Yipee! Going to see one of my all-time favs
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
This is the 'later' Joe Cocker that I like.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlDmslyGmGI&feature=related

chas

#234739 - 05/23/08 08:36 AM Re: Yipee! Going to see one of my all-time favs
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
No doubt about it...Joe's got the "touch"...awesome singer and performer.

You're lucky to get to see him.

Ian

#234740 - 05/23/08 09:29 AM Re: Yipee! Going to see one of my all-time favs
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Billed as the "last original man" or something like that, I think. I really liked the "Mad Dogs and Englishmen" movie of the tour in the early 70's. Leon Russell (Lady Blue, Masquerade, etc.) played great Les Paul. Billy Preston played great B-3 on the tour. He recorded Tightrope (?) and recorded with the Beatles. Died a couple of years ago.

My son found an album recorded in 1964 of the Louis Belson orchestra with vocalist James Brown. 1/2 are James Brown hits and half are standards. It's a hoot!

You're right. Across styles, the real stars are the ones who interpret with feeling and soul.

Have fun, Chas!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 05-23-2008).]

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online