SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#234293 - 05/22/08 06:57 AM Re: Recieved the Kord today!!!!
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
Does anyone know if the motif rack XS (the new one) has the Tyros SA and sweet voices?

Ian, with your contacts, I bet you could find out for us?

Lee

#234294 - 05/22/08 01:31 PM Re: Recieved the Kord today!!!!
Dnj Offline

#234295 - 05/22/08 06:28 PM Re: Recieved the Kord today!!!!
leeboy Offline

Dnj,
I actually had already downloaded the specs, and the data list.

In the daa list it does not even say a thing about the EA voices. some voices say 'sweet', none say live none say EA or SA.

based on all that we can't figure our anything about the sounds.

Ian, please call or e-mail someone for us... I for one would like to know how the XS rack (not ES) compares to tyros 2 sounds.

Thanks,
Lee

#234296 - 05/22/08 06:47 PM Re: Recieved the Kord today!!!!
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I sell both the Tyros2 and the Motif XS. If the rack is like the keyboard, which I've been told it is, the voioces in the Motif are very similar to what's in the Tyros2 with the exception of the breath noise assigned to a switch on the Tyros2 and some of the other pedal options found only on the Tyros2. I've AB'd the Motif XS keyboard and the Tyros2 and I can tell that many of the same voice samples are in both models, and some sound exactly the same and some have been changed even though the samples might be the same.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#234297 - 05/22/08 11:43 PM Re: Recieved the Kord today!!!!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I asked this question a while back... 'Would a MotifES/XS play back a MIDI file of Mega voices derived from a Yamaha arranger?'

I was informed that they are sufficiently different that they could not do this...

I wanted to use a Motif Rack with my G70, and use MIDI files of Mega guitar playing derived from T2 and S900 styles to add to the G70's SMF palette. Strictly for SMF's, Roland's cannot do Mega voice styles via MIDI (T2 translations, etc.), because it involves transposing only the PLAYED notes, not the control notes outside the normal range (Roland's transpose the entire track to follow chords).

Now, if anyone has some actual, real life, personal experience to contradict this, please speak out. In simple terms, has anyone taken a Yamaha arranger SMF of Mega style playing, played it into a Motif (rack or keyboard, it doesn't matter), and had the Part play correctly?

#234298 - 05/23/08 06:05 AM Re: Recieved the Kord today!!!!
leeboy Offline

Diki,
I think you are correct, that will not work. Neither will using a stock Motif rack ES or XS (new one)to play Yamaha styles Mega or not as they are not XG compatable. Styles using GM will work.

There is a XG PLG expansion card you can get on a ES, but I don't know if it would work seemlessly on Yamaha styles. I beleive in a non-mega environment it will, but I have not tested it. I was told by Yamaha the new XS does not have XG.

I am interested in MIDI up a Motif Rack to PA2, but have not done it yet. I only want to use it for solo sounds not styles.

IF the sounds are like T2, I will get one.
Lee

#234299 - 05/23/08 01:58 PM Re: Recieved the Kord today!!!!
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Lee, because the PA1 can only transmit 16 channels (even though there are 2 outs), you need to run the midis from an external sequencer.
Here is the direct quote from Korg.....

Q) Can I use the two Midi In ports to control more than 16 parts on the Pa1X?

A) This is not currently possible. The two sets of MIDI ports are meant for the following:

* connecting two different expanders to the Pa1X. This way, for example, you can send the drum track to a sampler, and the organ track to a dedicated organ expander.
* connecting two master instruments to the Pa1X, for example a master keyboard and a MIDI accordion.
* using one of the outputs as a MIDI THRU port, while still keeping a MIDI OUT

You would logically have the upper set to transmit on whatever channel you want so you can play the sounds of the rack, BUT because of the limitation of only 16 out channels, you cannot actually send any program changes over that channel from the PA, because it is not actually available for the sequencer to use (its being used by the upper section and is transmitting just note info) hence the need to change the rack patch for that channel from an external source.

The transmission of patches from my PA to the motif rack is something I am working on..To set up the correct bank/patch numbers on a user sound on the PA, and then have those correspond on the rack in its user sound section..Still not sure if I can get it to work as yet, so I just use my laptop to drive all the smf data, and also use it to change the patch info for the channel sued by the PA to play the rack.

BUT, I do not know for sure if the midi setup is the same on the PA2...so none of this may apply to you.

In my view this is a very serious limitation.

If they are going to put in 2 outs and ins it SHOULD mean 2 sets of 16 channels.

Dennis

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 05-23-2008).]

#234300 - 05/23/08 06:46 PM Re: Recieved the Kord today!!!!
leeboy Offline

Hi Dennis,
For what I do , it's already fairly good.

I am already using the PA2 to control both a Kurzweil PC2R rack module and the EMU Emulator X II Softsynth in my PC. I would like Tyros SA and some of the other voices(sweet etc)!
Motif Rack XS?????

I have several user voices setup to play these MIDI modules.

I am only using them for RH and LH voices, not style channels.

Example: Right voice 1 is set to send on Channel 1. It sends all te necessarry MIDI data including bank/program change to stup the externoal module as soon as you select the user voice.

This is one reason I have the PA. You can't even do this on the T2. (I still have the T2 also)It won't let you assign a MIDI bank/program change to a user voice (However it will send the pre-setup data out)

Actually the PA2 has pretty good MIDI capabilities, even though I have ask Korg for more (like having the sliders be assigned to and be able to send any MIDI CC I want.

I did a little test with MIDI OX to see which buttons & controls send out on MIDI, If you want a copy I can send it to you(or anyone else wanting it).

What I want the XG & mega voices for is so I can use my Live-Styler SW arranger to play Yamaha styles if I want. I do that now but I would like a better sound source for those sounds.

If only I had a Tyros 2 MODULE! I would have the best of both worlds. Anyone know where I can buy one???? HaHaHa....

Lee

#234301 - 05/23/08 06:58 PM Re: Recieved the Kord today!!!!
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Hi Lee,

Cool that you got your system working like that!! Sounds sweet...

As to the XS rack, they have probably got some of those voices but just call them something else.

I have noticed that some of the ES rack sounds are remarkably similar to those that were on the tyros, but went under totally different names..I can't remember them now, and I didn't note them at the time , just noticed them in passing so to speak.

And wouldn't a T2 module/rack be the absolute bomb!!!

Dennis

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 05-24-2008).]

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online