SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#234048 - 05/12/08 05:12 PM Re: Arrangers and knobs......
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
I was interesed in a DUO deluxe at one time.

Why are the Wersi owners here in US worried that if Chris Conti (Wersi US) goes away, they will be in trouble?

I they get good help via e-mail from Wersr Germany... why not go there for support instead of Chris?

For that kind of $$$ and being a small Company they should be all over customer satisfacton?

That's why I asked if it had changed... because during the last few years I have monitored the Wersi formum and heard lots of complaints. Waiting forever for any parts/upgrades, no response from e-mails etc? Some, including myself wander if they come to work 5 days a week?

I haven't talked to Chris at Wersi US for a while, so I don't know the current state of his Co. But I know they don't sell many and they downgraded their facility not too long ago.

I do know some folks have caused their own issues by not knowing what they are doing with the system. With such a complex setup, you need expert timely advice.

Maybe if I was in Germany (or close to it) I would see it differently?

Lee

#234049 - 05/12/08 09:56 PM Re: Arrangers and knobs......
Bachus Offline

The thing with vendor dependent forums is that people only visit them when they have a problem.... This makes it allways look far worse then it actually is..

Also with the Wersi being a software based instrument never run the latest software version if not necessary at all.....so when they do major updates just wayt a few months, sson they might go from 7.1 to 7.2 versions ... I wouldn't do such an update without having decent feedback from early addaptors.

Next to that Many people upgrade their hardware themselves....oh so many problems come from this.... ESD anyone?

Baing based on windows and software most people start exploring and toying with it... and do things they should not do as its not good for stabillity...

---------------------------

The problem with people wayting on Wersi parts i never got, because the people i know from the internet that have a wersi have never needed to wayt long if wersi had the parts in stock and they decided to get a new part..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#234050 - 05/13/08 09:41 AM Re: Arrangers and knobs......
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I use a Peavey PC-1600x device, has 16 sliders and 16 buttons. I have used it on Technics arrangers mostly, may soon adapt it to work on my S900 or (someday) a new Tyros 3 ...

It's a simple, yet flexible and programmable, box. I love having real-time control, smoothly, over various volumes, effects depth, filters, brightness, etc.

Jim

#234051 - 05/13/08 10:05 AM Re: Arrangers and knobs......
Dnj Offline

Isn't it a shame that manufacturers dont put enough sliders & knobs on arranger kbs & listen to the people who play these things without have to buy & hook up exterior devices to accomplish what we want?

#234052 - 05/13/08 11:29 AM Re: Arrangers and knobs......
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
There are a number of manufactures that still fit sliders and buttons etc, so it’s not all despair.
From the 3rd party info on Tyros 3 so far, it looks like they have also reintroduced sliders. (I hope they are motorised like they were on the FX range of Electones/Organs)

Bill

#234053 - 05/13/08 11:56 AM Re: Arrangers and knobs......
Bachus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
There are a number of manufactures that still fit sliders and buttons etc, so it’s not all despair.
From the 3rd party info on Tyros 3 so far, it looks like they have also reintroduced sliders. (I hope they are motorised like they were on the FX range of Electones/Organs)

Bill

Yes, motorised sliders are a great addition to any keyboard

#234054 - 05/14/08 09:07 PM Re: Arrangers and knobs......
leeboy Offline

Since I have no experience with motorized sliders... ( I have seen them on the new CME MIDI boards) can someone explain why they are great and how one might use them in a practical sense. During performance!

Thanks,
Lee

#234055 - 05/14/08 09:50 PM Re: Arrangers and knobs......
Bachus Offline

Whne i switch performaces, non motorised faders stay in the position of the old performance. so the seccond i touch them they either make a hug e jump to the new vallue or they require me to move them mannually to the vallue set in the performance before they start sending vallues..

Immagine i have a performance set where i use the sliders as the vollume from my acc tracks, then i switch to the next performance where i have set up a nice B3 sound that i can controll over the sliders... the initiall vallue of that B3 sound has 9 vallues set for all drawbars. But the sliders are still in the position of the previous performance totally out of tune with the drawbar sound i am now playing.

Same goes when controlling things like vco, delay and attack over those sliders...

#234056 - 05/14/08 10:21 PM Re: Arrangers and knobs......
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Any non-motorized faders will give you the same problems, but there is a decent workaround...

Just before I make a registration change, I yank ALL the faders down to zero. Then I hit the registration button. At least on Roland's, the values on the faders don't change until you pass THROUGH the preset value, so at least you don't get a 'jump' in values. And I don't have to guess whether the fader is above or below the programmed value... I KNOW it is below!

It's not perfect, but what is? And before everyone starts jumping on the 'why don't we have motorized faders?' bandwagon, firstly you have to realize that a good, robust set of motorized faders is going to add mucho dollares to the cost of the unit, be quite bulky (there are VERY few small motorized faders out there) and add a whole degree of new problems that may occur. Not to mention noise... You HAVE heard the noise that inexpensive motorized faders make, haven't you?

I think the new Korg's have the answer, at least for the Hammond drawbars... Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you change a draw-bar's position simply by dragging on the touch screen graphic? If so, extend that basic idea to ALL fader operations, and you never have to worry about jumps again...

Touch screens get larger and less expensive every year. I see this, rather than delicate motorized faders as the future for fader control...

#234057 - 05/16/08 05:52 AM Re: Arrangers and knobs......
leeboy Offline

Bachus,
OK, I see where you are comming from... Very interesting as one of the requests I sent to Korg for improvement on PA2 was to implement PICKUP MODE instead of JUMP MODE on the sliders!

Of course in pickup mode the value does not change until you get the slider to that current value.

Should have been there in the first place... you wander who tests this stuff out?

Now. I wander if the new Yamaha T3 will be a problem with it's sliders? A question for our friend Ian????

Thanks,
Lee

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online