SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#233447 - 04/30/08 03:35 PM How will THIS affect our keyboard future?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Microsoft has introduced the future of PC keyboards. How will this technology change the way we produce our music?

MS announcement

------------------
Cass
www.cassponline.com/

#233448 - 04/30/08 04:21 PM Re: How will THIS affect our keyboard future?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It'll make selecting the MP3 you are using next a hair easier...

But will it change what we play, or HOW we play?

Firstly, I see it as no substitute for a keyboard... OUCH! Anybody LIKE playing a hard, non moving surface?

Secondly, it is a display technology only. This won't make better sounds, better styles, or do anything but make it easier for the customer to select an MP3 to play instead of listening to YOU...!

For sound designers, studio producers, etc., this might make controlling software a BIT easier, but most of them have their chops based around hardware, and most display technology is based around emulating knobs and sliders, which are just more useful, more TACTILE in hardware, IMO.

For a new generation, this might be cool, but this technology has to come down in price dramatically for it to be incorporated into our arrangers.

In the meantime, we DO have touch screen technology on many arrangers already, and it is a powerful tool, but once again, only as good as the interface writers make it... Many are still resistant to it, what about this would change their minds? The size? Sure wouldn't want to lug anything that big around, and that's what makes this seem anything but the gimmick it actually is...

With the economy going the way it is, I imagine the industry would like to SIMPLIFY new keyboards, not make them much more expensive, much heavier, and much larger...

#233449 - 04/30/08 04:35 PM Re: How will THIS affect our keyboard future?
Vadim Offline

I hate touch screens.

this is like in the 80's, when technology tried to get rid of knobs and buttons, and use "microwave type" buttons.
didn't last very long...

same thing with this non-sense

#233450 - 04/30/08 05:59 PM Re: How will THIS affect our keyboard future?
Dnj Offline

I love TOUCH GOOD SCREENS...

Like Ive always said.....We are just in our INFANCY with computers.......we aint seen nothing yet with Keyboards, Instruments of all kinds, Gear, etc, etc, besides everything we do in our lives with COMPUTERS. Just wait and see the best is still on the way like it or not. I'm glad Im alive to enjoy it.

Carry on

#233451 - 04/30/08 11:46 PM Re: How will THIS affect our keyboard future?
Bachus Offline

This technology was first showed 2 years ago... Mainly based on what apple does with their I-phone...

I think interfacing like this is the future of computing interfacing (Together with voice recognition)

And actually its a wellknown company to us thats leading in the use of touchscreens. Korg has been using touch screens in their interfaces for years now...
Espescially with their new KAOSS_pad they have been setting the next step in touch screen design.
When you look at most Wersi video's you also see extensive use of the touch screen... same goes for Rolan's V-synth and AT900, they allready have a touch screen.
The Keyboard market is sctually leading in the world of ontegrated touch screen use.

Microsoft is just trying to catch up and overtake Apple with this interface.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#233452 - 05/01/08 02:21 AM Re: How will THIS affect our keyboard future?
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Yeah I remember seeing this on Youtube quite a while ago.

I'm STILL wondering now when we'll actually "see" this in real life...

(Ipod not withstanding)

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online