SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#233390 - 04/30/08 02:33 PM Re: Just curious---
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Donny, were you saying that you DON'T use a sustain pedal for anything OTHER than cocktail piano? How can you play any kind of Rhodes or Wurli or Ac. Piano without one?

Diki.... I mostly use TWO BOSS FS5U pedals when I need them that you can latch together via a channel on the side if more then one is needed....
http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=57

Built like a tank......I only use what I need for the job or for recording backing tracks. It's all about HOW YOU PLAY, there are KB playing & fingering techniques that can imitate using sustain pedals. They are just more tools that players have to choose if they need them or not, I have seen too many players over abuse and drown themselves out & their music in a sea of sustain abusing the pedal as they almost ride it throughout the song....
nothing is set in stone.

#233391 - 04/30/08 03:23 PM Re: Just curious---
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Absolutely. Sustain is a terrible thing to abuse, and I HAVE struggled through the odd gig when my sustain conked out on me, and survived, but I noticed the difference on piano and Rhodes parts was excruciating, despite my best efforts at legato. That, and the ability to hold something while you do a quick move to the screen or buttons (I don't run EVERYTHING with my feet ), makes the sustain an essential part of my performing.

Just about ANYTHING can be abused, as well as used well... I don't allow myself to worry if someone ELSE overuses it, though. All that matters is that I don't..!

I guess my main thing is that I don't WANT to change my technique if I don't HAVE to. I know there are workarounds for most things, but after spending most of my life learning how to play pretty much like anything you hear on the radio, I don't want to have to change that to accommodate a MACHINE. I feel the machine should accommodate ME!

#233392 - 04/30/08 04:41 PM Re: Just curious---
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
And just because it's an arranger doesn't mean there is NOT!
You leave ALL those parts ON during a busy style, playing busy changes, and it can be a mess!

Diki ... I didn't say the possibility doesn't exist ...
Of course leaving ALL parts ON can be too much, depending on the style, changes, kb, etc.

t.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online