SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#23311 - 11/11/98 10:35 AM PMA5 Going Extinct???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Got word from my sources that the PMA5 is no longer in production. Also, that there will be no better version for the future. What's the scoop? Any insights?

Walked into 3 music stores today and apparently there is no more in stock.

What is the alternative arranger/sequencer/sound-module machine out there?

#23312 - 11/11/98 12:46 PM Re: PMA5 Going Extinct???
ACEJ Offline

Loc: the Netherlands
The alternative for the PMA5 is Yamaha's
QY-70 (which is better IMHO)

info available at yamaha's site

Regards
A.C.E.J.

#23313 - 12/07/98 10:40 PM Re: PMA5 Going Extinct???
MynDwave Offline

Loc: Fontana, CA
There is no replacement for the incredible PMA-5!!! The Yamaha unit does not compare. The touch screen interface, the intimate hand held nature of it, and of course the ROLAND SOUNDS!! Most upsetting that no one caught on to this fantastic device. Not to mention that any non-musician could pick it up and become an amateur composer in no time. I'M NOT LETTING GO OF MINE!!!!

#23314 - 12/09/98 12:44 AM Re: PMA5 Going Extinct???
Cinda Private Offline

There were a lot a problems with the PMA-5 unit. To name a few - there were a lot of intermittent problems with the MIDI IN/OUT connectors and even the line out/headphone jack over time.

They were truly revolutionary and awesome. I would not trade mine either. I write more songs on my PMA than on my workstation - which is a shame.

When I get stuck on a song or am trying to write a new one I grab my AX-1 and my PMA-5 sit on my back porch and play.

Roland recently dropped the proce to $280 to clear their inventory and there are some around.

I agree, the PMA is much easier to use than the QY-70 and has just the right amount of functionality without trying to take the place of a synth as the QY-70 does in some instances.

#23315 - 12/09/98 10:51 PM Re: PMA5 Going Extinct???
cybrlion Offline

In my opinion, the PMA-5 is a nice sound module and a great sketch pad tool. But you cannot flat out grab a bunch of notes and start throwing down a nice groove. Yes, you can do some pretty incredible things one note at a time with the unit. Enter chords and I do mean entering is a real chore with the PMA-5. Which is why I prefer, hands down, no contest the Yamaha QY-70. In my estimation the PMA-5 can't touch the features of the QY-70. Don't get me wrong the PMA-5 still has a place in my portable studio. The drawbacks for me with the PMA-5 are as follows. You cannot edit the sounds when you are out of GS mode. With the QY-70 I can edit for days right in the unit with no external software or devices. The QY-70 has 3 effects processors. One of which has 40, count them, 40 effects alone!!! All effects parameters are programmable with sys-ex. You can edit a lot of the parameters right on screen but there additional ones as well. Which by the way the QY-70 Allows you to enter sysex commands right from within the unit. So you could pretty much control parameters in another unit, say, like a PMA-5 perhaps. Let's not forget 16 tracks, plus another 8 with 8 bars available for these 8. So on and so on. To sum up my response, NO CONTEST!!! The QY-70 had some years to create a tool that is very flexible. My hat goes off to Roland for setting a standard with the portable norton like units. I am still very fond of my PMA-5. I should point out, when I first seen the QY-70, I thought it looked very cheesy!!! The only reason I bought the QY-70 was to play chords on the PMA-5. Needless to say I've since eaten those cheesy words and I am now a proud owner of two QY-70's and my PMA-5 keeps the paces with the other two. I don't even compose in my studio any more.

#23316 - 12/10/98 07:00 AM Re: PMA5 Going Extinct???
Cinda Private Offline

Most users of the PMA-5 and the QY-70 use external controllers so they are not limited to the pen or chicklet key interface.

I personally use two controllers: the Roland AX-1 and the Roland PC200 MKII.

When I put on my AX-1 or sit down behind the PC200 I actually am playing an excellent synth action board in both instances and all I really want to do is sketch out an idea.

The argument that most QY70 users make is that it has all the features of a synth -and that is not what the "5" was created for - it is a MUSIC ASSISTANT.

So, when I want to sketch out a song - I personally need to think of it in sections 2 measures here... 4 measures there... 8 measures in another. I will use the "5" to rough out these sections - in which case... I will rarely use more than 5 tracks: Bass, Drum, Guitar Comping, Piano Comping on the backing tracks. I will then put a lead and back up on the other two tracks. This will allow me to go to my workstation and create my masterpiece.

It is a quick way to get this done with a minimized interface that works well for what it was designed for.

#23317 - 12/10/98 07:52 PM Re: PMA5 Going Extinct???
cybrlion Offline

In your situation, it sounds like the PMA-5 is doing an excellent job at acomplishing what you need it to do. And yes, at the time the PMA-5 more than met the need for musicians to have a tool that sounded good and was cool to use. My point is this, the whole point in have a portable unit is portability. This is why it is very important for me to have access to more than one key when I'm out and about. In fact, I find the QY-70 still quite limiting at times with only two octaves. This is why I bought a second one. I hang out at coffee shops composing whole complete pieces using both QY-70's. Then I use my laptop to save all the data. This works quite well for me. If I ever need to do more I can use my studio to go even further. To be honest , the QY-70 HAS MADE MY STUDIO SEEM VERY OUT OF DATE. To sum it up in a phase. I feel that this is very simular to the monophonic and polyphonic synths. Back in the day, monophonic synths did what they were created to do. And they did it very well. Then came the Polyphonic syths more cooler and you could get what you wanted quicker. The monophonic synth didn't change in sound, they sounded as cool as they ever did. In some cases cooler. But progress always pushes envelope. In a year or even a month the QY-70 will seem very out dated. So to answer the original question I feel personally that the QY-70 would be an excellent subsitute for the PMA-5 that is, until next month/year when someththing that fits into a watch will record unlimited midi and audio tracks.

Cyberlion

#23318 - 12/10/98 08:04 PM Re: PMA5 Going Extinct???
cybrlion Offline

In your situation, it sounds like the PMA-5 is doing an excellent job at acomplishing what you need it to do. And yes, at the time the PMA-5 more than met the need for musicians to have a tool that sounded good and was cool to use. My point is this, the whole point in have a portable unit is portability. This is why it is very important for me to have access to more than one key when I'm out and about. In fact, I find the QY-70 still quite limiting at times with only two octaves. This is why I bought a second one. I hang out at coffee shops composing whole complete pieces using both QY-70's. Then I use my laptop to save all the data. This works quite well for me. If I ever need to do more I can use my studio to go even further. To be honest , the QY-70 HAS MADE MY STUDIO SEEM VERY OUT OF DATE. To sum it up in a phase. I feel that this is very simular to the monophonic and polyphonic synths. Back in the day, monophonic synths did what they were created to do. And they did it very well. Then came the Polyphonic syths more cooler and you could get what you wanted quicker. The monophonic synth didn't change in sound, they sounded as cool as they ever did. In some cases cooler. But progress always pushes envelope. In a year or even a month the QY-70 will seem very out dated. So to answer the original question I feel personally that the QY-70 would be an excellent subsitute for the PMA-5 that is, until next month/year when someththing that fits into a watch will record unlimited midi and audio tracks.

Cyberlion

#23319 - 12/26/98 10:52 PM Re: PMA5 Going Extinct???
MynDwave Offline

Loc: Fontana, CA
I'll be the first to admit that I have been tweaking my headphone plug in the jack just to get both L & R coming out for two years now. Sometimes I have to REALLY tweak it. Some days I have to throw it in the back of my car (where I've done some of my best work! On the 15 freeway...) Anyhow, the midi jack is shaky as well. BUT I can't imagine composing without this jewel. Yes chords are a pain. I will more often now grab an operator board when I can. But I'm a working stiff with a day job, so I've gotten quite proficient with the keypad, whizzing in step notes measures at a time, offsetting attacks and velocities, throwing in incidentals and grace notes...almost sounds REAL! Truthfully, I'm a better PMA-ist than a pianist! I'm not familiar with the QY-70 at all, I would assume from what you say that you can enter whole chords on the little buttons? As my touch screen wears and the jacks slip into oblivion, I'll have to consider repairs vs. new-used PMA (Will they go up in value now??) vs the QY....
by the way,(unrelated) has anyone seen the new Ensoniq FIZMO keyboard?? I lapsed into a trance twisting the knobs on that thing at Guitar center...heading to an Ensoniq BB to see what's up...

#23320 - 12/27/98 10:48 PM Re: PMA5 Going Extinct???
House Junkie Offline

Loc: Florida USA
Hey cybrlion Ive been looking at picking up
a portable sequencer,but when you say the
QY70 makes your studio seem out of date,does that mean its good for in house sequencing as
well?How many tracks,sounds or gm sounds..etc..any info would be appreciated.
Thanx

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online