SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#233083 - 04/24/08 07:46 AM legato play
Bachus Offline

Which keyboards have sounds that when i play notes fluently (legato) the orriginall instrument plays as one legato part..

For excample a trumpet without breathing , or a Violin without the bow leaving the strings...

And they setup other samples for Portato or even stacato play, this technique used by Yamaha in their super articulation sounds must have been addapted by other keyboards as well by now..

So how about the Korg Pa2X, Roland E80, Wersi Abbacus, Ketron Audya and Lionstracs mediastation ? Did they also addapt to this kind of voicess?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#233084 - 04/24/08 10:56 AM Re: legato play
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The SA technology is patented by Yamaha so that no one else can use it.
However virtually all large sample library VSTs (And others) have had plenty of these types of voices for years.
The Wersi OAS 7 sound system also has the capability to perform the same effects, however as of yet Wersi has not released any voices using it. (It currently costs a lot of time and money to develop these types of voices; even the simpler SA voices are limited in the number that are available)
To show what could be archived in the future; there are some simple ones at http://www.sonic-core.net/de/products/soniccore.html and http://www.soundfonts.it/?a=read&b=25 with another interesting technique here http://www.samplemodeling.com/en/demos.php

Hope this helps

Bill

#233085 - 04/24/08 11:25 AM Re: legato play
Bachus Offline

Aye..

I knew that most top lknotch Vst's use these voicess..but i did not know which other Keyboards use them, I didn't know Wersi could do it with their OAS tough, thats probably another step closer to my decision.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#233086 - 04/25/08 12:25 AM Re: legato play
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Just curious, but if that is patented technology (SA voices), how come software samplers can use it?

Maybe it's NOT as patented as we have been lead to believe...?

#233087 - 04/25/08 01:11 AM Re: legato play
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Diki
The way it is achieved is patented; however there is always more then one way to achieve the same result.
The reason Wersi can cover all the Yamaha Mega styles etc, is not because it is licensed from Yamaha but they have written their own software to achieve the same result.
It’s also ironic that such a minor feature as direct Yamaha style play has overshadowed what the Wersi OAA is about.
Regards

Bill

#233088 - 04/25/08 03:31 AM Re: legato play
jwyvern Offline

One of the things you're almost forced to do when playing legato is to back off on the velocity you can use. (Ever tried thumping the keys and playing legato simultaneously?)

So similar effects - smoother transition of notes - are possible just thro detection of low velocity. In fact the Yam. PC Voice editor that comes with Ty2 allows you do just that- there are settings to modify the attack in various ways depending on velocity.

I haven't been able to convince myself whether Yam really is determining legato by analysis or inference from velocity since it's quite difficult to test & distinguish with certainty.

It wouldn't be the first time that a company would patent a new idea just to keep the Competition from being able to develop and exploit it, even though they may not actually be using it themselves.

John

[This message has been edited by jwyvern (edited 04-25-2008).]

#233089 - 04/25/08 10:59 AM Re: legato play
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
That's pretty easy to test, I would have thought...

Play one note (any velocity), hold it. Play another while you are holding it. Does it play with the attack transients of the first?

There's your answer...

AFAIK, Yamaha's SA voice tricks are NOT based on velocity, but on whether you are actually holding a note down when you play the second... Play detached, you get the attack. Play legato, no attack. Velocity has been used long before SA, to get multi sample dynamics, or to trigger 'bends' or hammer-ons on guitars, etc.

The SA voice system also uses intervals BETWEEN notes you play to determine if elements like fret squeak get triggered. It's totally different from just velocity triggering...

#233090 - 04/25/08 01:49 PM Re: legato play
jwyvern Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
That's pretty easy to test, I would have thought...

Play one note (any velocity), hold it. Play another while you are holding it. Does it play with the attack transients of the first?

There's your answer...

AFAIK, Yamaha's SA voice tricks are NOT based on velocity, but on whether you are actually holding a note down when you play the second... Play detached, you get the attack. Play legato, no attack. Velocity has been used long before SA, to get multi sample dynamics, or to trigger 'bends' or hammer-ons on guitars, etc.

The SA voice system also uses intervals BETWEEN notes you play to determine if elements like fret squeak get triggered. It's totally different from just velocity triggering...

Yes Diki that's one of the tests I used, another being playing legato compared with playing staccato at low velocity. It's difficult even so to be black & white about it since the differences in attack, in changing purely from leg. to stac. - if any - are to me, slight and much more obvious attack changes come about with a deliberate increase in velocity. (Talking sax & trumpet here.)

The information display for the SA guitars states "Legato notes played within an interval of a 4th sound as a hammer on/off or slide". (To trigger the latter requires high velocity). That works.
Fret noise is always described as being "added randomly".

John

[This message has been edited by jwyvern (edited 04-25-2008).]

#233091 - 04/26/08 06:43 AM Re: legato play
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
However virtually all large sample library VSTs (And others) have had plenty of these types of voices for years.

Quite true, Bill, but Yamaha makes using these voices in "live" play accessible to the average player.

One simply selects an SA instrument and plays...the technology does the work.

Ian

#233092 - 04/26/08 08:51 AM Re: legato play
hitman Offline

Loc: VA/ USA
I believe korg has a legato option under sound editing if I remeber correctly.

I will check on the pa800 and then let you know.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online