SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 11 of 14 < 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 >
Topic Options
#232756 - 04/30/08 05:42 PM Re: Arranger KB My view: This will make some mad!
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
Country Songs in Minor Keys:
Heres a couple more..

Thunder Rolls - Garth Brooks
Theme from Rawhide- Blues Brothers covered it.

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.myspace.com/kidconcert
www.balloonanimal.com
www.1000colorcards.com

#232757 - 04/30/08 05:48 PM Re: Arranger KB My view: This will make some mad!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
"(Ghost) Riders in the Sky: A Cowboy Legend" is written in a minor key.

Ian

#232758 - 04/30/08 05:49 PM Re: Arranger KB My view: This will make some mad!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Those are loops of live playing, just as now they are loops of MIDI. The repetitiveness will not change, just the means of producing it...

Whether the loop is four bars, or eight, or even sixteen (thank you, Korg!), the fill remains the same every time you use it. A dead giveaway, IMO (and no thank you to Korg for only the two and a break/Fill system!).

People will often notice the repetition in a fill more than the repetition in a loop...

Diki...yes all valid points ....so where are we left with all this & when if ever will major strides in arranger technology ever come our way or will it be a very slow process hoping that every TEN Years something amazing will be introduced for us to buy and play. I just really stopped getting myself excited & have relegated myself to a wait & see attitude while I just play what I have to the best of my ability, with workarounds & hopefully all my experience as a performer to make it all come together for my needs. When the time comes & NEW Units are released I will always take a good look at them, try to find and get my hands on it for a good demo, read reviews, read forums, & really check them out to decide if its really for MY Needs & do I really need this attitude? We'll see for sure..

#232759 - 04/30/08 05:54 PM Re: Arranger KB My view: This will make some mad!
Vadim Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Yep, I can see your point, although one can get around it by making their own styles and playing their own intros...which is what I do.

That way, if I do a recording, it has my own stamp on it.

Do you make your own styles?

What keyboard are you using?

Ian

Long time ago I was using just preset styles,
than I started making my own styles, and strted sequancing songs/midi.
now I don't use styles, I record songs/midi from scratch.

Sometimes I use arranger in a situation where i don't have time to record a song or no additional musicians.

I mostly use arranger keyboard (va-76) at home just for ideas and stuff.

currently I mostly use Computer with software, KORG Triton Extreme, KORG Tr-Rack and sometimes an Accordion, Fender Strat and acoustic guitar.
but mostly KORGs and Computer.

[This message has been edited by Vadim (edited 04-30-2008).]

#232760 - 04/30/08 06:13 PM Re: Arranger KB My view: This will make some mad!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Vadim:
Long time ago I was using just preset styles,
than I started making my own styles, and strted sequancing songs/midi.
now I don't use styles, I record songs/midi from scratch.

That's cool, Vadim, and it is so neat that we both have used styles and recording from scratch, although from different directions.

I went from recording from scratch to performing using styles...I prefer styles for "live" play which is my main focus nowadays.

I'm not very interested in recording, although I still do a bit...mostly for my own enjoyment, or for friends.

Styles let me play the same tune in several different ways...depending on my mood, or perhaps the venue I'm playing.

Recording from scratch has it's advantages, but I'm too busy having fun(and too lazy as well) to be doing that at present.

Glad to hear you're still playing and enjoying your music.

Ian

#232761 - 04/30/08 07:11 PM Re: Arranger KB My view: This will make some mad!
Lucky2Bhere Offline

hellboy44,

Whatever you say! I'm going back to practicing and dealing with my tinnitus!

Lucky

#232762 - 04/30/08 07:34 PM Re: Arranger KB My view: This will make some mad!
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Well if it makes you feel any better, that's EXACTLY what I'm doing right now too...lol

Tinnitus - the one thing that unites ALL musicians!

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#232763 - 05/01/08 07:25 AM Re: Arranger KB My view: This will make some mad!
Vadim Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by hellboy44:
Well if it makes you feel any better, that's EXACTLY what I'm doing right now too...lol

Tinnitus - the one thing that unites ALL musicians!

not just Musicians,
but even:
Singers, Producers, Sound Engineers and even Auto-Accompaniment keyboard users

#232764 - 05/01/08 11:05 AM Re: Arranger KB My view: This will make some mad!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Donny, I've been posting for a while talking about a system that would be EASY for the manufacturers to implement (it's just software, no extra buttons at all), where each Variation to Variation combination had it's own dedicated fill. That would make a total of sixteen fills for a four variation arranger, including fill-to-self.

This would certainly reduce the repetitiveness of fills, and make for MUCH smoother transitions. One of the big problems in making styles is the difficulty in programming a fill that transitions smoothly to a variety of destinations. Seldom achieved, IMO...

But although having 16 Fills might SEEM like a lot of work for a style designer, it's actually MUCH easier, because each fill only has to fill ONE role. So, naturally, the fill starts out from the initial Variation (some nice copy and paste there) and transitions towards the destination fill (which it will ALWAYS go to) so you know whether to build a little or a lot (1-2 or 1-4, e.g.) or come down a little or a lot (4-1 or 4-3 e.g.). No more juggling dual duties (the hardest aspect of style design).

This system requires absolutely NO new technology, no radical departure from current systems, and no change whatsoever in how we use it. But the improvement to transition smoothness and reduction of repetitiveness would be instantly obvious...

Maybe add 4 break/fills (one for each Variation, rather than one tacked on global one), and it gets even better...

But rather than constantly search for entirely new technologies for our arrangers (that will have the same old limitations, anyway), perhaps we should be screaming for simply better use of the technologies we already have...?

There are MANY things (I'm sure you can think of several yourself) that could make the arranger IN IT'S CURRENT FORM work FAR better than it does, all without the expense of a totally radical new technology....

#232765 - 05/01/08 11:37 AM Re: Arranger KB My view: This will make some mad!
Vadim Offline

the least "cheatfull" auto-accompaniment keyboard out there is MOTIF xs,
even thou it's a "workstation"
it has Fills, 5 "variations".
and most important: no INTRO or Ending

Page 11 of 14 < 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online