SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14 >
Topic Options
#232656 - 04/19/08 05:56 PM Arranger KB My view: This will make some mad!
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
Here is my view
Here Goes,

I've read lots of the posts and responses to this subject rehashed a dozen or so different ways. It seems the big debate and claim is that Most people that play arrangers and make a living with them are cheaters.

I think what some are forgetting is that we are entertainers first. I think an arranger KB is a great tool. I read some critical responses that some users play the wrong chords and use wrong tempos and voices. Some are accused of cheating by playing single finger chords. Some people are blasted for using Midi file backings.

If the activity directors stop calling, and the patrons stop coming to the gigs, and the country clubs stop calling to book. It's because the unskilled performers and entertainers were found out. They will be weeded out and probably become full time home playing hobbyists.

That being said, Lots of arranger kb players out there are very successful and great entertainers. They may know zilch about music theory, Some may play with midi files, Some may not know a more than 4 chords, Some may even use the 1 finger approach. some may even play every song in the key of "c" or might be singers with minimal piano skills just looking to play along.

The arranger KB allows you to sound like a full band. If you wanna perform a show on a grand piano just to prove your a chopin in training, thats fine. It may come across a little bland and not the best format at a dance or something upbeat

85% of the audience couldn't tell the difference between a dminor and a Zminor.

In my own experience I am a guitarist first. I've been playing for over 25 years. The arranger has allowed me to create my show at myspace.com/kidconcert (Mikey Maestro's Dance Party). If i tried to do that show with a guitar only it would flop. It would be dull and boring. The Tyros 2 has allowed me to take these famous kids songs and give them a polished in your face arrangment. I know for a fact that none of the key players in charge of booking me has ever said ...Hmmm. Mikey's Playing 1,4,5 progressions tonight.
I have managed to get peoples attention and be booked solid year round and asked to come back over and over again.

So I hope I didn't offend anyone.
Just wanted to add my two cents to this ongoing topic...

It's About people leaving your show ENTERTAINED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.myspace.com/kidconcert
www.balloonanimal.com
www.1000colorcards.com

#232657 - 04/19/08 06:20 PM Re: Arranger KB My view: This will make some mad!
zuki Offline

Oh, not to fret. I think there are only a few on this forum that dis arrangers - I just ignore them and continue on

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#232658 - 04/19/08 06:31 PM Re: Arranger KB My view: This will make some mad!
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Right-on Mikey.

#232659 - 04/19/08 07:00 PM Re: Arranger KB My view: This will make some mad!
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Don Mason was once a contestant on the hit game show "Play That Tune". His response was "I can play that song with 3 chords".

Tom

Tom

#232660 - 04/19/08 08:04 PM Re: Arranger KB My view: This will make some mad!
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
What is the third chord Tom???

Bebop

#232661 - 04/19/08 08:45 PM Re: Arranger KB My view: This will make some mad!
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
In country the third chord is usually "5".

At least that's how it is taught in Nashville.

Eddie

#232662 - 04/19/08 09:07 PM Re: Arranger KB My view: This will make some mad!
Princess Offline

Loc: Michigan
well said MICKEY///I think if you got the music in ya, and put on a good show, with your k.b and can play,thats great,I'm self taught, and proud of It,///my cousin who graduated from conservatory of music, and plays a huge pipe organ,in a large church,sure thought the music, I played was great,It's all about that wonderful gift ,some of us were given,as for me I do love to hear a good piano also...PAULA

#232663 - 04/20/08 01:22 AM Re: Arranger KB My view: This will make some mad!
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Could not disagree more. I am not an entertainer so i dont fit in your category but i use an arranger and would choose it over any other keyboard. If you just want to entertain and get paid thats fine. I actually want to play well and develope as a musician. I play music for myself first.The music is what its about for me, not work,not fees, not popularity with patrons.

#232664 - 04/20/08 01:33 AM Re: Arranger KB My view: This will make some mad!
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I have been on this forum for a while, now. Where on earth is there any credible post calling using an arranger 'cheating'?

You CAN'T cheat... A bad player doesn't sound ANY better on an arranger, except maybe to himself

Standing behind a keyboard, and not playing a note, but pretending to play, well PERHAPS that could be called 'cheating'. But if you sang, it could be called karaoke - or if you didn't, it could STILL be called DJ-ing!

Cheating implies the taking of credit for things you have not played. No-one here doing that, is there?

I swear, I have never hung around so many folks with a chip on their shoulder....

#232665 - 04/20/08 02:44 AM Re: Arranger KB My view: This will make some mad!
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I swear, I have never hung around so many folks with a chip on their shoulder....

Remember, a chip on the shoulder is a sure sign of wood higher up.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online