SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#232547 - 04/24/08 11:19 AM Re: Does Yammy have a problem 76 keys?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sorry, Donny, it isn't that I'm putting down solo work (do it myself from time to time), it mainly the tone of GLEE that it is often recommended with that irks me.

I have usually considered that HAVING to work solo 100% of the time is basically a tacit admission of the fact that you CAN'T get work in a combo, so at least for me personally, I don't consider it quite the 'step up' that you hear it described here as...

Once again, I remind everybody this is the GENERAL arranger forum, not some OMB site, so please don't get upset when alternative views get aired. There are quite a few here that consider playing in an ensemble the HIGHER achievement, not the cast-off remnants of your musical education that the OMBs would have you believe...

It's a great way to make MONEY... but not necessarily the best way to make MUSIC. I guess it kind of depends on what your priorities are.

What is the smiley for 'dead serious'?

#232548 - 04/24/08 11:24 AM Re: Does Yammy have a problem 76 keys?
Diki Offline

BTW, only got a single with my duo today but have doubles with a four piece on Friday and Saturday (that makes more than I get as a solo!) and my duo picked up 14 engagements in the last two days...

What is the smiley for 'brass in pocket'?

#232549 - 04/24/08 12:43 PM Re: Does Yammy have a problem 76 keys?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
BTW, only got a single with my duo today but have doubles with a four piece on Friday and Saturday (that makes more than I get as a solo!) and my duo picked up 14 engagements in the last two days...

Diki I'm glad you understanding both view points..and at the rate your booking someday you might catch up to Zuki & Beaky The mere fact that an Arranger KB is SUPER VERSATILE is its power also. & that is what makes all this argumentative discussion so frequently happen. So many use the arranger for so many things & everyone thinks their right. They just might be "FOR THEM" personally.....but its the flexibility & personality of teh musician who uses it & how & where & with who which is where the Arranger KB rises above many other pieces of gear for sure.

#232550 - 04/24/08 02:04 PM Re: Does Yammy have a problem 76 keys?
Diki Offline

Well, I guess I just hoped everyone would remember that I DO use an arranger for solo work, as well as using it for other things. It would make assuming that I'm slamming the OMB's a bit harder to do... Oh well

Diversity, musically and in the 'process' is what I personally think makes us continue to grow as we get older. I haven't yet got to the point where I consider music strictly as a form of income, to me, it's still hopefully an ART, and one that overwhelmingly (other than here) is practiced by ensembles. You COULD go out and watch a guy wave a baton at a CD player, but it wouldn't be 'listening to an orchestra', even if there were software (which there is!) to make the CD follow him...

Likewise the OMB. It's the FACSIMILE of music, except for what you actually play (not conduct). And while I WILL use it from time to time, I don't pooh-pooh the legitimate performance of music (you know, where EVERYTHING is being performed live ), and crow about how many NH gigs I can get by performing with machines. No offense to Zuki, or anyone who plays those venues at that pace (good for you!), but you won't find ONE artist who's work you cover, who's music you admire, who's playing you try to emulate, that would consider doing that as a full time career.

It's a JOB.

Some of us want to paint the Mona Lisa, and some of us want the contract to paint a block of apartments. Both of us use brushes and paint... But the apartment painter will usually work more, and make more money in his lifetime.

But who is the ARTIST?

#232551 - 04/24/08 02:06 PM Re: Does Yammy have a problem 76 keys?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
I have usually considered that HAVING to work solo 100% of the time is basically a tacit admission of the fact that you CAN'T get work in a combo, so at least for me personally, I don't consider it quite the 'step up' that you hear it described here as...

Diki,

I hope you meant that this applies to you, and not to the many players on this forum who play solo arranger 100% of the time, and who are more than capable of playing in a combo...but CHOOSE not to.

I consider solo arranger playing neither a "step up" or a "step down" but rather a "step in the right direction" for many keyboard players that can manage to perform solo and make a good living at it.

Ian

#232552 - 04/24/08 11:02 PM Re: Does Yammy have a problem 76 keys?
Diki Offline

Always the talk about making a living, seldom a word about making music...

There ARE some here that, no matter WHO called up and offered a post in a good live band, would turn it down. There are some here that always recommend playing solo, even to those who actually LIKE playing with others. There are some here that haven't played anything but solo for ages. There are those that 'never look back' and appreciate their band experiences as anything other than a pain they are glad to have cast off.

And then there's me...

And, I suspect, quite a few others who consider music making as more than a job, and other musicians as more than competition, and making music WITH something other than a machine as one of life's great pleasures.

I can only hope...

#232553 - 04/25/08 04:30 AM Re: Does Yammy have a problem 76 keys?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Always the talk about making a living, seldom a word about making music...

Making a living is a terrific by-product of making music.

I first played arranger at home, just for the sheer joy of having a back-up band "on call" at any time I wished to perform.

And, basically, that's how I got into playing an arranger professionally...some people heard what I could do with it, and I got hired to play some gigs...I didn't look for it...it came my way.

The Yamaha thingy happened much the same way..I didn't look for it...I was asked.

I still play for the joy...and money is never the bottom line, although it is important now that I do music full time.

I still do sessions with some good buddies who play guitar, Saxophone, and keyboards...it makes a difference, to be sure. I always learn something from these collaborations.

AND...I still enjoy playing piano...again mostly for my own pleasure, and to keep up my chops.

Lately, because of restrictions imposed by my Doctor, I'm focusing on making some CDs, purely for my own amusement.

The music will always come first to me...I can't see that changing.

Ian

#232554 - 04/25/08 11:12 AM Re: Does Yammy have a problem 76 keys?
Diki Offline

Yes, Ian... that's very much how I feel about things, and it is great to know that you actually look forward to playing with other musicians AS WELL as enjoying playing your arranger solo.

Would that others could see that, too. Play 100% with an arranger, and your only collaborator is a machine. Domo arigoto, Mr. Roboto....! (Domo! - - - Domo! )

I hope your recuperation speeds along so you can get back to playing out, either solo or with friends... Just remember, friends will carry your gear, your arranger will insist on you carrying HIM!

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online