SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#232241 - 04/14/08 09:54 PM I'm having trouble with my ears. Anyone having similar problems?
Lucky2Bhere Offline

I'm having discomfort with my left ear and constant ringing in the brain for over a month now. I noticed it when I spent about two weeks playing the piano appx 5 hours a day a few weeks back. I was working on left hand technique for hours on end so the music was extra loud on the bass side of the piano. My feeling is there were too many rumbling sound waves going into my ear canal day after day (though it's the highs that actually affect your hearing).

I went to my primary care doctor and then to an ear, nose, and throat M.D. He found no abnormalities at all. No soreness, irritation, infection, water, etc...nada! I took a hearing test and surprisingly came out of it with a high score.

I explained my "sound wave" theory to the doctor and he replied that it had "nothing to do with it."

I'd like to go to someone who understands hearing as it affects musicians. I'm not sure where to find someone like that.

So do any of you have any ideas about this situation? Anyone also having this problem?
Any comments at all are welcomed. I need to take this in another direction.

Lucky

#232242 - 04/14/08 10:47 PM Re: I'm having trouble with my ears. Anyone having similar problems?
shim Offline

Loc: USA
I sometime feel as if i'm not hearing my keyboard loud enough; and I think its from playing for a long time at a the highest volume, and also from being close to drums and speakers...

Hope this helps...
Shim

#232243 - 04/14/08 11:26 PM Re: I'm having trouble with my ears. Anyone having similar problems?
eddiefromrotherham Offline

Loc: Rotherham,England.
Hi Lucky
I would say that you have what is known as Tinnitus.
I and many millions have this continuous 'buzz' or 'ring'(described by sufferers). It is a complaint which has not been too well studied by the medics but there are supposed to be some possible relief actions which one can pursue. One of the most proposed aids is an earplug which emits a low noise, supposedly to mask the ringing.
I have suffered this tinnitus for 20 years and treat it as part of my life, but it is sometimes hard to mask, especially when there is no other noise to take your mind off the one in your ears!Like when reading in a quiet room or when trying to sleep during the night.
Actually, after 20 years I decided to pay a visit to my doctor just a couple of weeks ago to see if there is anything else around which could help because the sounds have been getting stronger lately. He only knew of a tablet called Betahistine which I am now trying.
But he did say that it probably won't work! and after a couple of weeks it hasn't worked for me...yet.
A lot of musicians suffer this tinnitus by virtue of having been so close to loud noises for most of their life, especially large Speakers!
I hope you are able to get rid of your problem soon.
cheers
Eddie Johnson

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

#232244 - 04/15/08 12:25 AM Re: I'm having trouble with my ears. Anyone having similar problems?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
First of all, your doctor is right... Acoustic piano does not put out enough volume to permanently damage your hearing (unless you are amplifying it, or playing on cans with the volume too high) as a general rule. A rock concert, on the other hand...

But there are a wide range of medicines, and other things that can cause it. Here is the Wiki entry, and this may help you track down it's cause and cure, or at least, alleviation of the symptoms; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus

#232245 - 04/15/08 02:47 AM Re: I'm having trouble with my ears. Anyone having similar problems?
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Please take good care of your ears. I feel musicians needs to take every precaution possible, they can not be replaced. After many years of loud volumes, far less than today’s music, my ears are showing signs of a hearing loss. Although my hearing is still generally good I am using a hearing aid to tune the upper 12 notes of the piano.

Here is something to worry about – Listening to music with most hearing aid is similar to listing to music on your phone, nightmare, don’t let it happen.

John C.

#232246 - 04/15/08 04:44 AM Re: I'm having trouble with my ears. Anyone having similar problems?
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Eddie Johnson has pretty well covered it. Possible every person as we age gets some form of Tinnitus. In my case I hear a low bass drown but only in the quite of the night if I wake for whatever reason. At first I was walking around our Bungalow in the middle of the night looking for the something I had left switched on.

Tinnitus comes and goes and nothing can be done, so live and cope with it....it's not life threatening and although unpleasant it's a matter of coming to terms with it.

#232247 - 04/15/08 05:04 AM Re: I'm having trouble with my ears. Anyone having similar problems?
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I play drums and piano. And although I use ear protection religiously, I sometimes become very sensitive to low frequencies such as those found in sub-woofers. My ears will become very sensitive to the point that they feel like the woofer itself; moving in and out. I lower the volume of the music and it goes away.

I attribute this to either diet or other environmental factors as my hearing is otherwise ok, unless my wife is talking. I sort of have trouble hearing her......;-)

------------------
Al Giordano
http://www.arrangerworld.com

Korg Pa2xpro, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums, Roland TD-12 Vdrums, Roland SPD-S.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#232248 - 04/15/08 05:30 AM Re: I'm having trouble with my ears. Anyone having similar problems?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
what?...

I've got it too. I find quiet relaxation helps, but it never really goes away - been that way for about 10 years now.

#232249 - 04/15/08 07:54 AM Re: I'm having trouble with my ears. Anyone having similar problems?
korg4god Offline

Loc: Dodge City, Kansas 67801
I know of a man who is a musician, used to suffer through tinnitus and then went for a medical procedure where he was placed in a chamber and was treated with sound waves and it 100% cured him. Now, as to how much it costs, where it's located, etc. I haven't the foggiest, but you could do a search on him and maybe find a way to contact him.

His name is Ray Hughes, he is a world-class Christian musician and worship leader. Just google him in and I'm sure you'll find him. YOu can prabably e-mail directly and find out about it.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Dodge City Schools -USD 443
Forte Music School

http://forte.musicteachershelper.com

#232250 - 04/15/08 09:57 AM Re: I'm having trouble with my ears. Anyone having similar problems?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I suffered a few years back with ear problems, the nurse syringed the ears out after a couple of days of ear drops to soften the wax, it builds up as a natural defence against noise, some people build up too much and have to have it done on a regular basis, but its easy to check, get the wifey( or partner) to look into it!Also i now use in ear monitoring, which is set to a comfortable level for listening,combined with ear moulds from the audiologist, although the audience still get it full force!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online