SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#231596 - 04/08/08 03:16 PM Re: roland sonic cell
John DiLeo Offline

Fran,

How was the visibility on the Sonic Cell display....my eyes aren't the greatest anymore.

#231597 - 04/08/08 04:33 PM Re: roland sonic cell
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Diki,
Even though your playlist is limited to 399 files, you don't have to swap out thumb drives. You can have many playlists on a single thumb drive.
John, if you are looking to purchase a sonic cell, please let me know. I have them for sale at my store and can give very competive prices.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#231598 - 04/08/08 05:25 PM Re: roland sonic cell
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I'm taking a first look at the sonic cell, Fran can you explain more about the mic glitch and can anyone else tell me if it has been addressed,
One more thing if I may, can you plug in a guitar and a mic or is it either or?
thanks.

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 04-08-2008).]

#231599 - 04/08/08 06:12 PM Re: roland sonic cell
to the genesys Offline

Also taking a look at the sonic cell.

qCan it function as a drum machine?

#231600 - 04/08/08 06:14 PM Re: roland sonic cell
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Just got of the phone with George Kay, looks like I'll be heading down south next week to take a look at the sonic cell.
(and PA-800, and G-70, and.... )

I'm pretty sure I'll get one...
George took some time to answer all my questions and I'm confident that it'll make a great addition to my set up.

If you're thinking of getting one, check with George Kay first. You won't regret it.
Best service in the music biz that I know.

I'm sure I will have some questions regarding set up with my T2 once I get it.

Eric

#231601 - 04/08/08 09:16 PM Re: roland sonic cell
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
Even though your playlist is limited to 399 files, you don't have to swap out thumb drives. You can have many playlists on a single thumb drive.

George, with all due respect (sincerely! as I do respect your experience and knowledge), that is incorrect.

The TOTAL including folders is 399, used to be 99, which is why Fran had so many problems with it, as did I.

Therefore if you want a seperate folder with a different playlist, those folders and files are deducted from the 399.

So, you could have 4 folders each with 99 files, 2 folders each with 198 files etc etc .. I think you get the idea

I know the Roland documentation makes it SEEM like there is but this is how the file system works on the Sonic Cell.

I had one, and I was dealing directly with the Roland chief tech in Melbourne at the time.
In fact I was the first customer to get the first 2 updates because I got them directly from him.

After the 2nd update didn't work I gave up and sold it. From the soudn of it Roland have finally got it right!!

It wasn't the only reason I sold it another issue was the insert effects are NOWHERE near as flexible and easy to setup/use as on the Motif ES rack which I have gone back to.
Dennis

#231602 - 04/09/08 04:45 AM Re: roland sonic cell
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I have one but never use it. Nothing wrong with the unit but was not a good fit for my intended use (extra voices for my C1 rig). The problem had more to do with the inadequacies of the C1 as a controller. I keep it around hooked up to a A70 controller, as a source for Roland voices in the studio, but usually defer to the Motif ES or Triton when recording. Probably does a good job with SMF's, as most Roland's do. Usual Roland build quality, display is adequate......if you're 18. Ok as a source of drum sounds but there are better and cheaper choices for a "drum machine". Glad I read the thread, though. Made me aware of the update (since I had no problems with it, I never thought to look).

chas

chas

#231603 - 04/09/08 01:07 PM Re: roland sonic cell
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'd hang on to it, chas. If it has the same grand as the G70, that combined with the A70 (which is virtually the same action) gives you pretty much the same sound.

Probably one of the best hardware grands for jazz and softer pop at any price...

The same samples exist in a couple of other Roland arrangers (E80/E50/60) but they, for some reason, darkened up the filter. All you have to do is add a little extra to the cutoff values, though, and you are back to the sound I get and enjoy so much.

We have an older (1928) Steinway in the studio, but after listening to some tracks I cut with the G70, and comparing them to Herbie's piano sound on River (just the sound, not my playing!), he's starting to come round to using it in preference to the Steinway. For anything other than super bright rock piano, it sits in the mix pretty much as well as the Steinway, and of course, allows the flexibility of editing the parts in MIDI before they are printed. This allows me to get more adventurous as I play, with the knowledge that we can still go back and rescue a few bum notes, etc..

Quite the testimonial from a guy who is VERY picky about his sounds...

#231604 - 04/09/08 03:44 PM Re: roland sonic cell
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Dennis,
You are correct and although I have not made more than one playlist, I was under the impression that I could save many on one thumb drive. I just verified this with the Roland US techs and they confirmed what you have stated.
I am sorry for giving the wrong information.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#231605 - 04/09/08 03:54 PM Re: roland sonic cell
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Mind you, 400 songs at a 256kbps rate gets you close to 3-4GB of data (256 is about the lowest that is very difficult to tell from CD).

How big do these flash drives get?

Could you partition them so they show up as several separate drives at the same time?

Still, let's face it, although many of us have TOTAL repertoires far in excess, how many of us use significantly more than 400 songs IN TRACKS FORM on a regular basis?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online