SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#231525 - 04/06/08 09:13 PM Tyros nightmare
chony Offline

Loc: New York
As always, I left early for a gig today which was about 50 minutes away from my home. Somehow I managed to do it in half an hour, so I had more than enough time to unload and unpack, so I took my time.

Fifteen minutes before I'm to start, I finally open my keyboard case, and horror of horrors, I immediately realized that my Tyros power cable, was still plugged into the wall of my studio!

Thank G-d, I kept my wits about me, quickly googled samash and guitar center on my phone, and found one just five minutes away. After much pleading they let me take the power cable off their floor model, and I made it back on time!

Has this happened to anyone?

Lesson learned. I am now going to buy two more power cables. One for my keyboard case, one for my travel case, and the last to stay in my studio. Like this, I won't make this mistake again.

However I notice that the Tyros power cable is cornered on one side and rounded on the other. Is that necessary? Will this product on eBay which is rounded on both sides (it fits into the Tyros power socket), be right - or is the corner there for a reason?
http://cgi.ebay.com/AC-LINE-CORD-2-WIRE-...7QQcmdZViewItem

#231526 - 04/06/08 11:57 PM Re: Tyros nightmare
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
I have always, since I got my T2, have at least 2 backup power cables, since is no the standard PC cable ( I wish Yamaha put a decent "normal cable plug).
I found them in all computer cables and also saw some that you can use from the Radio Shack , this last ones are the "cheap" shorter, and thinner, but will do the job, some home Boom boxes use the same plug/cable type.
Long time ago happen something similar in a different instrument, and since, like you, I learn from that mistake, it will not happen 2 times.

#231527 - 04/07/08 12:28 AM Re: Tyros nightmare
shim Offline

Loc: USA
Wow Chony! That's scary. I always hope that shouldn't happen when I gig...

#231528 - 04/07/08 01:34 AM Re: Tyros nightmare
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Chony do you have a back up plan..if your keyboard goes down?

Another back up keyboard? Or a laptop?

#231529 - 04/07/08 01:40 AM Re: Tyros nightmare
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
it's good everything turned out to be ok.

i remember one time when i took all the equipment to the wedding place where i was suppose to play and when setting up the speakers, keyboard etc, i realized i didn't bring the extension multiplier power cord (i hope i explain it correctly) and i really needed it because the keyboard, the mixer, the effect and some other equipment get powered from that single one power plug in the wall.
but i manage to fix it, because i do improvise alot not only when playing keys!
but you wouldnt want to be anywhere next to me or my electric connections!
oh, yeah, in here we use 220 volts electricity...

#231530 - 04/07/08 02:16 AM Re: Tyros nightmare
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I arrived at my job and in those days I played guitar and, I opened my guitar case I guess you know the rest of the story – the guitar was on a stand back at home.
I called my wife and she brought the guitar. For a half hour a I was singing with a drummer, a bass player and an accordion player, up to that day I had never sung without playing my guitar – It was strange, I didn’t know what to do with my hands – and I think that the movement of my hand from chord to chord is directly tied to remembering lyrics. I struggled with songs that I had done for years.

I play keyboard using full chords with my left hand --- The first time I played along with a midi file without using my left hand I had trouble improvising with my right. Tied together?

John C.

#231531 - 04/07/08 04:11 AM Re: Tyros nightmare
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I always carry two spare patch cords, a spare sustain pedal and a spare power adaptor in a small case that stays in my car.

Cheap insurance.

Ian

#231532 - 04/07/08 05:17 AM Re: Tyros nightmare
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
I always carry two spare patch cords, a spare sustain pedal and a spare power adaptor in a small case that stays in my car.

Cheap insurance.

Ian

I use to keep a bag in the van..containing a spare laptop, extra patch cords, extension cord, mic with cord, and at the time a zip disk for the G1000...After several years of never needed them....I think I finally lost the bag...

#231533 - 04/07/08 05:20 AM Re: Tyros nightmare
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
Fortunately,in the UK Tyros just uses a standard mains cable which means there are always plenty around if you leave yours at home.

#231534 - 04/07/08 05:53 AM Re: Tyros nightmare
John DiLeo Offline

I think all KBs should use a standard AC power cord plug. I dont like my Yamaha ac adapter at all.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online