SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#23146 - 08/19/99 04:01 PM JP-8080 vs JV-1080 vs JV-1010
worknman Offline

Loc: TX
Well, I'm looking for a new module for ambient/trance/dream techno stuff and was wondering which out of the two (JP or JV) would work better for this. I would like to do a lot of real-time effects (especially resonant filters) and the JP (with its knobs) seems suitable for this, but the low polyphony (10 voice) almost kills it for me. Since a lot of strings and human chorus-type voices along with pianos and such will be playing at once, the JV and its 64 polyphony seems more up my alley, but is it good for trance or is it a GM/Top 40-only type of device? Nobody sells either of these devices that is within driving range from me, so I pretty much have to make a buying decision without having the chance to preview either of them.
Someone care to comment? I could use all the advice I can get.
Also, comparing the JV-1080 and the 1010, would I lose anything significant by going with the 1010 other than the 3 extra expansion slots ?

#23147 - 08/20/99 05:21 PM Re: JP-8080 vs JV-1080 vs JV-1010
Anonymous
Unregistered

In addition to these Roland products, you should seriously consider the Virus by Access (I own the tabletop model and love it, but I believe the keyboard version has more polyphony) and the new Novation digital synth (the name of which escapes me at the moment). I think for the types of music you're doing, these will do the job better and both have more polyphony and, if I'm not mistaken, more options in the multitimbral mode than the 8080. Also, they're just way cooler machines. I don't mean to dis the 8080, its a solid instrument, but for about the same $$ you can give yourself alot more creative power and, in my opinion, better sounds. The 1080 can do a decent job at just about anything but, jeez, if you can't twiddle knobs, you're missing out on most of the fun. I've only read about the 1010, but it seems like given its very limited editing possibilities, it wouldn't work very well for you. But I should disclose that I'm not a techno guy so hopefully someone with more experience in that genre will weigh in for you.

#23148 - 08/24/99 09:10 PM Re: JP-8080 vs JV-1080 vs JV-1010
lilbro99 Offline

Loc: Hillsboro Mo. 63050 U.S.A
I own a 1080 W/vitage exp.board, and I am very pleased with the unit! It has exellent pads and very radical effects to manipulate the wave forms> I write ambient,techno+ trance, and this is a unit that everyone needs to have in there "arsenal". You can,t tweak in real time ,but, you can assign the effects/LFO's to any tempo. I find that very useful with building pads with my Cs1x arppiegiater! If you budget allows you to purchase the SuperNova, Virus,Quaismidi,Waldorf or Nord Lead, go for it,these synths rule! If you go the economical route, go with a JV-1080 for around a $1000. I have a freind that has a An1x, and it beats the JP, lock stock and barrel,but you have to deal with low poliphony! Good Luck!

#23149 - 08/24/99 09:42 PM Re: JP-8080 vs JV-1080 vs JV-1010
lilbro99 Offline

Loc: Hillsboro Mo. 63050 U.S.A
I own a 1080 W/vitage exp.board, and I am very pleased with the unit! It has exellent pads and very radical effects to manipulate the wave forms> I write ambient,techno+ trance, and this is a unit that everyone needs to have in there "arsenal". You can,t tweak in real time ,but, you can assign the effects/LFO's to any tempo. I find that very useful with building pads with my Cs1x arppiegiater! If you budget allows you to purchase the SuperNova, Virus,Quaismidi,Waldorf or Nord Lead, go for it,these synths rule! If you go the economical route, go with a JV-1080 for around a $1000. I have a freind that has a An1x, and it beats the JP, lock stock and barrel,but you have to deal with low poliphony! Good Luck!

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online