SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#231171 - 04/03/08 01:37 AM sd2 help(rikkisbears)
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've just got an sd2 but cannot seem to mute some of the the midi channels to integrate it with my existing gear, i've tried converting the hex code in the back of the manual, but it doesnt seem to work, rikkisbears was recommended by the guys in the ketron forum..any ideas?

#231172 - 04/03/08 05:58 AM Re: sd2 help(rikkisbears)
KFingers Offline

Loc: Brighton - UK
I have an SD2 which I use with a Tyros2

You haven't specified what keyboard you have but the way I did it was to set up and save a named midi configuration that only allows external midi transmission on voice 3 - I had to go into all the other sections and turn external midi transmission off for everything else (voice 1 and 2, left hand, accomp, bass, drums, pads etc.) I also had to turn off internal midi tx for voice 3 otherwise i would have a voice sounding from both the T2 and the SD2 (you may want this of course) - You just turn voice 3 on and off to hear the SD2 sounds. You can also use the voice selection buttons on the T2 to select the SD2 voice but you can't change voice banks. I have a programmable midi box in the chain to do this but you can use your pc and a sequencer to send the sysex.

One other thing, When I go into the effects control panel i can change the reverb and chorus settings for SD2 voice by changing the T2 voice 3 settings.

Hope this helps

Regards - Keith

[This message has been edited by KFingers (edited 04-03-2008).]

#231173 - 04/03/08 12:21 PM Re: sd2 help(rikkisbears)
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Yep Keith is correct. The way to integrate various bits of midi gear is to utilise the transmit/receive switches, usually represented TX/RX. Or if your controller can do it , ports.

From what I have heard the midi spec in the sd2 is pretty basic, but it still should have this ability. Just check in the SD2 manual for the procedure for the SD2.
If it doesn't you will need to restrict what it receives from your other device/s.

#231174 - 04/03/08 03:57 PM Re: sd2 help(rikkisbears)
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
I've actually got mine set up with a Korg PA800, I don't have trouble muting the channels via my keyboard.
You're trying to do yours thru sys ex?
I'm not terribly familiar with sys ex messages, but I don't think the hex you've typed in is correct.

If I get a chance , I'll try & have a look at it later today. Not sure if I'll be of much help though.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by getsmartnow:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#231175 - 04/03/08 08:19 PM Re: sd2 help(rikkisbears)
miden Offline

Hi Rikki,
Yes the Korg midi spec is very complete. Easy to do from any of the PA series boards.
What would be handy is if we know what he is using to drive the SD2, there might be an easier way that hex to activate RX/TX on channels depending on what keyboard he is using.
Dennis

#231176 - 04/04/08 01:55 AM Re: sd2 help(rikkisbears)
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Dennis,
I haven't had much luck. admittedly my sd2 operating system isn't the latest.

I compared the hex codes between my sd2 & sd1. Only 1 minor difference.

I put the hex code in for the sd1. Muted it perfectly. Did similar for the sd2 with it's code. Kept playing, didn't mute.

I might try updating my sd2 & see if it makes a difference.
best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Hi Rikki,
Yes the Korg midi spec is very complete. Easy to do from any of the PA series boards.
What would be handy is if we know what he is using to drive the SD2, there might be an easier way that hex to activate RX/TX on channels depending on what keyboard he is using.
Dennis

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#231177 - 04/04/08 01:16 PM Re: sd2 help(rikkisbears)
miden Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:

I might try updating my sd2 & see if it makes a difference.
best wishes
Rikki

Good luck.
I checked out the SD2 manual. It is really very primitive in its midi implementation!!

Sorta like comparing DOS to Windows.

You would think they would have a midi editing section (as does just about every other midi device) to allow simple switching of MIDI transmission channels.

It would seem with the SD2, having a sequencer is a MUST HAVE if you want to do anything except just play SMF files.

Not many editing facilties are there?

And to make it even tougher there does not seem to be any sort of PC editor program available either!!!

Still if the OP can advise what his other gear is, it might be easier to assist.
Dennis

#231178 - 04/04/08 02:25 PM Re: sd2 help(rikkisbears)
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Dennis,
it was designed for PC use. I actually bought it to go with One Man Band software.
It works well with the Korg, only because the Korg's midi implementation is good. Works ok with my pc sequencer also , as long as it's my only soundsource.

Really need one of those little old fashioned switch boxes or something ( that were round in the early days) pocket something ??. They had a little box that could just about fix anything.
I've got in the back of my mind, I had one that may have switched midi channels on & off. Really wish I'd kept some of my old stuff.
best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by miden:
[B] Good luck.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#231179 - 04/04/08 02:42 PM Re: sd2 help(rikkisbears)
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I still have my old Casio Mid thru box. It is solid metal with 2 in and 8 out. It still works great.
Bernie

#231180 - 04/04/08 03:04 PM Re: sd2 help(rikkisbears)
miden Offline

Rikki, if I remember correctly (and it's the one you are talking about), it was the Midisport by MOTU. I think you could physically control which channel got "thru'd" and which didn't.
It was a good box too, don't think they make it anymore, but maybe if the OP visits the MOTU website he might find some hardware they make no that would help with his MIDI issues.
They have some good gear.
Then again there may be others too, that allow MIDI manipulation without a PC.
Dennis

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online