SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#230710 - 03/28/08 05:49 PM Question for Gary D or DonM only
zuki Offline

Gentlemen,

When setting the Bose L1 1 version, how is it possible to get the best acoustic piano sound? I love the system, especially for the clarity and great vocals. The horns, drums, etc are terrific, but the pianos lack that of the stereo units. Please advise, comment.

Thanks,
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#230711 - 03/28/08 10:38 PM Re: Question for Gary D or DonM only
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Gary edited the Yamaha piano and it sounds really good. I just played it as it came from the factory, but I use some pretty intense e.q. on the entire keyboard with the PSR 900. You have to be sure and keep plenty of mids in the mix for the piano to sound good.
I don't have a problem at all with the SD5 piano sound, or the G70 sound. I don't do anything special, except to run both left and right leads to the Bose.
Maybe Gary will be of more help.
DonM

#230712 - 03/29/08 10:50 PM Re: Question for Gary D or DonM only
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Sorry, I know I'm not invited to this thread, but I respectfully chime in with some real worl advice from teh trenches.
The issue with lackluster pianos and Bose is in the piano sound, not the Bose. You need to tweak the piano to sound better in mono. Once you do that ... it'll shine and shimmer !

#230713 - 03/30/08 05:38 AM Re: Question for Gary D or DonM only
zuki Offline

Thanks UD,

The L1 1 version sounds really terrific, but the acoustic pianos are plain terrible (on the 900). The digitals are fine.

I'll try the 800 next and see.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#230714 - 03/30/08 06:00 AM Re: Question for Gary D or DonM only
zuki Offline

UD - what is the advantage of the L2 system, beside the speaker direction?

If I use the keyboard mixer and harmonizer, do I need anything different, like that mixer they offer?

zuki

#230715 - 03/30/08 07:10 AM Re: Question for Gary D or DonM only
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Zuki,

It's the piano--not the Bose. I created it from the GM piano of the keyboard, then ran it through the keyboard's onboard Sound Creator program. It works great, very rich, lots of depth. It was created on the PSR-3000 keyboard, but I believe it will work in the S-900, Tyros and Tyros2 as well. I posted it on the PSR Tutorial forum and everyone that downloaded and used the modified piano voice loved what they heard.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#230716 - 03/30/08 10:36 AM Re: Question for Gary D or DonM only
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
UD - what is the advantage of the L2 system, beside the speaker direction?

If I use the keyboard mixer and harmonizer, do I need anything different, like that mixer they offer?

The Bose ToneMatch mixer is so sweet, and really has many uses....and it's TINY !!!!
The biggest changes in the new system (sonically) is the improved spread due to the angled speakers. The footprint is much smaller with the new pedestal, the bass unit tucks neatly inside the legs freeing up precious stage floor space, and it's lighter and easier to transport too.

They also took away the need to "unlock" the bottom tower from the pedestal. The weight and shape of teh tower is plenty to assure that it will not leave it's little home. One less thing to deal with during breakdown.

I run my mic into the PA800 and send a signal to the Tone Match. I also feed a wireless mic to a channel, my guitar to another and my laptop to the last. Each channel has specific patches that taylor it to the input sifnal - my guitar sounds AMAZING going direct, and you have 3 active knobs to tweak the tone anytime you want - just select the channel and there you go !

If you buy the power adapter for it, you can use the ToneMatch as a standalone mixer too. I have mine racked on top of the KB, next to the laptop and it's such a neat, consise setup.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online