SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#230496 - 03/28/08 08:41 AM Would you Drop your current 76 key Arranger for a New Yamaha TYROS with 76 Keys?
Dnj Offline

What is it that makes everyone want a YAMAHA 76 arranger versus the ones that are already on the market from other manufacturers......if you get 76 keys from a TOTL Yamaha will that solve all your musical arranger needs....or will you have 76 keys But NOT have all the other great features that are on the others & there are quite a few.....so I hope to hear some logical explanations on this question...

What say you?

#230497 - 03/28/08 08:49 AM Re: Would you Drop your current 76 key Arranger for a New Yamaha TYROS with 76 Keys?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Not I..............

#230498 - 03/28/08 08:54 AM Re: Would you Drop your current 76 key Arranger for a New Yamaha TYROS with 76 Keys?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
There is also enough reasons for me not to even be interested in a Tyros module..I do not care for most of the sounds, styles or drums..The OS does not work for me [probably most are just use to it]..and most likely the module would suffer from less than stellar quality...

#230499 - 03/28/08 09:02 AM Re: Would you Drop your current 76 key Arranger for a New Yamaha TYROS with 76 Keys?
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
I play a Wersi Abacus Duo Pro OAS 7 that has both a 61 note keyboard, 76 note keyboard, and 25 note pedalboard. Even if Yamaha did offer a new 76 note arranger it couldn't compete with the sound quality or the functionality of the Wersi so there's really no point in me going backwards.

There are other manufacturers besides Yamaha that make cutting edge products but cutting edge technology can cost a lot. Yamaha has a large market share due to their lower priced arrangers which sell well to home players, hobbyists, semi pro's, and the occasional pro, but that doesn't mean they have the best product available. Where Yamaha markets to the masses Wersi markets to those that want what no other arranger has to offer. That may come at a premium but for those that want what no other arranger can do, there are but a few choices to be had.

#230500 - 03/28/08 09:09 AM Re: Would you Drop your current 76 key Arranger for a New Yamaha TYROS with 76 Keys?
Dnj Offline

Ensnareyou great post, & many very good points.....these are the kind on replies I wanted to hear. I hope to hear many many more from other players....

#230501 - 03/28/08 09:21 AM Re: Would you Drop your current 76 key Arranger for a New Yamaha TYROS with 76 Keys?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Donny, that's a loaded question.................5 months ago I would have jumped to a 76 key Yamaha arranger in a heartbeat. Now that I've owned a G70, PA800 and Pa2xPro( very happy with the PA2xPro I'm just not sure any more if I'd buy a Yamaha 76 as soon as they hit the street. I do miss 3rd party style and great forum support from http://www.psrtutorial.com

Ironically, it was 3rd party styles for Yamaha that got me restless for a more live sound. That got me to purchase a G70( a fine board incidentally . But it's 20th century way of having to connect to a laptop/PC to make some changes and no USB port was not to my liking. Although, I have to say I got somewhat comfortable to the G70 way and could have kept it and almost did. When you and UD started singing the praises of the PA800 I got interested. Yup, part time musicians like myself do get influenced by the pros who play music full time. I demoed the PA800 and within a short time I knew it was the board for me, I like what I heard. Songbook feature and a newbie to doing vocals made the TC Helicon Vocalizer pretty much a must have.

Fast forward to the Pa2xPro. I have become so accustomed to using the sliders, songbook, feature, great vocal harmonizer, touch screen, good looks, sound and very manageable weight that if I had to make a choice today on what to use based on the Pa2xPro or the same feature set as the Tyros2( with 76 keys added). I would stay with the PA2xPro. That's not to say that next year I'll feel the same way. I have no dreams of any equipment making me a better musician, but some just feels better to play than another brand. If next year there's a 76 key Tyros3 and it feels better to play and it's technology is so advanced, then maybe I'll buy it. But at least for the immediate future the Korg stays.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 03-28-2008).]

#230502 - 03/28/08 09:35 AM Re: Would you Drop your current 76 key Arranger for a New Yamaha TYROS with 76 Keys?
zuki Offline

After lugging the G70 to UPS I would never entertain a 76 note board to play hour gigs daily, unless it was lightweight and awful special.

61 with speakers (a must) will work for me.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#230503 - 03/28/08 09:49 AM Re: Would you Drop your current 76 key Arranger for a New Yamaha TYROS with 76 Keys?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I would not purchase a 76 key Tyros2. Why, because I don't like 61 key version. It has nothing to do with looks, build quality, Navigation (OS), or number of keys. I just don't like the sound of the styles. I assure you, I would choose a 61 key PA800 over a 76 key Tyros. This assumes that their current approach to styles is carried over to the 76 key model. However, I don't consider my answer valid as I don't/won't use an arranger outside of the studio so my needs are different from a pro OMB.

As I've said many times before, I'd be happiest if all the manufacturers made their TOTL arranger in module format and provided a software template for some standardized super-controller which was available in 61, 76, or 88 key format, with or without built-in speakers. Better yet, just a circuit board that would be hosted by something like Reaktor? or some non-specific (also standardized) hosting 'box'. Of course, this makes way too much sense and as such, will never come to fruition.

chas

#230504 - 03/28/08 10:17 AM Re: Would you Drop your current 76 key Arranger for a New Yamaha TYROS with 76 Keys?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I would certainly entertain the idea, but would probably not buy one because of the price and the overall styles. I find I like the Roland styles better. FWIW

#230505 - 03/28/08 10:44 AM Re: Would you Drop your current 76 key Arranger for a New Yamaha TYROS with 76 Keys?
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Q:
Would you Drop your current 76 key Arranger for a New Yamaha TYROS with 76 Keys?

No, not as long as Yamaha sound as "cold and sharp" as the demoes I've heard.
If they make it sound warmer and more "live" rather than make me feel I'm listening
to a studiopolished CD playing at my stereo, yeah, then maybe I will....

Cheers
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online