SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#230516 - 03/28/08 02:32 PM Re: Would you Drop your current 76 key Arranger for a New Yamaha TYROS with 76 Keys?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Were I to play a REAL OMB low volume type of gig, one hour NH, restaurant or lobby scenario, I probably WOULD get a 76 S900. I don't think there is a better arranger for getting a great guitar backing sound, and for sounding good at low volumes. Most of these gigs you are not TRYING to get a live, punchy, in your face kind of sound. You are SUPPOSED to be polite polished background music, at which Yamaha excel.

I would NOT trade my G70 for it, though. A 76 S900 would be affordable enough to add to my arsenal without losing anything (I wouldn't want to gig in a live band with it!).

Zuki... the 76 note Roland E60 is only three pounds heavier than an S900 (and built like a tank in comparison), so weight, especially as flimsy as Yamaha make them, ought NOT to be a problem...

But yes, I am not making all this noise up just for the sake of rubbing Ian raw! Were Yamaha to make a 76 S900, I WOULD buy one.

#230517 - 03/28/08 02:37 PM Re: Would you Drop your current 76 key Arranger for a New Yamaha TYROS with 76 Keys?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

Yes Ian...I'm comfortable playing the S900 as an income vehicle at this time, I make it work for me to a point...but in NO Way am I "In LOVE" with it & will drop it easily without remorse down the road....
I'm just biding my time...& remain in a holding pattern circling until I can land.
Dont get me wrong I wanna love something but just haven't found it yet....I almost bit the bullet with the Pa800 but snapped out of it in time ....just a few more months and the tide will change for sure....dont throw away your original boxes you might need them before you know it !!

Well Donny, you must agree Yamaha has the best and easiest to use operating system, and the sounds, especially the SA and Mega voices, are miles ahead of anything else.

That's why their arrangers sell so well...that combination is hard to beat.

Ian

#230518 - 03/28/08 02:40 PM Re: Would you Drop your current 76 key Arranger for a New Yamaha TYROS with 76 Keys?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Oh, and BTW, if Yamaha didn't cut such terrible corners with their MIDI implementation, crippling the entire series for effective use in a multi-keyboard setup, I would already have an S900 MIDI-ed to my G70 (which DOES have the codes to operate stuff remotely)...

No one arranger does everything well, but lately, it seems like most arranger manufacturers are dropping the very things that would allow us to integrate two (or more!) arrangers, and use each for it's strong points. Either add the codes, or make a module version... One of the two, at least

#230519 - 03/28/08 02:43 PM Re: Would you Drop your current 76 key Arranger for a New Yamaha TYROS with 76 Keys?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
But yes, I am not making all this noise up just for the sake of rubbing Ian raw! Were Yamaha to make a 76 S900, I WOULD buy one.

I'm sure you would, Diki...that would be a fine instrument.

Who knows what may lie ahead for the S-series?

Ian

#230520 - 03/28/08 02:45 PM Re: Would you Drop your current 76 key Arranger for a New Yamaha TYROS with 76 Keys?
Dnj Offline

diki you keep sounding dissapointed lacking in the G70 in a way ...reaching out for somthing in the S900?

#230521 - 03/28/08 02:48 PM Re: Would you Drop your current 76 key Arranger for a New Yamaha TYROS with 76 Keys?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
yeah right Diki..you would really enjoy playing that key bed..

For the sake of maybe 3 or 4 sounds...I wouldn't entertain the idea at all!!!!!!!!

And a better OS is a misguided farce..

#230522 - 03/28/08 03:12 PM Re: Would you Drop your current 76 key Arranger for a New Yamaha TYROS with 76 Keys?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Oh, and BTW, if Yamaha didn't cut such terrible corners with their MIDI implementation, crippling the entire series for effective use in a multi-keyboard setup, I would already have an S900 MIDI-ed to my G70 (which DOES have the codes to operate stuff remotely)...

No one arranger does everything well, but lately, it seems like most arranger manufacturers are dropping the very things that would allow us to integrate two (or more!) arrangers, and use each for it's strong points. Either add the codes, or make a module version... One of the two, at least :rolleyes:

Curtailing the Midi spec makes sound business sense, as they will make a bigger profit by selling the users a new upgraded keyboard, then they would if the users bought an upgrade from another manufacture.

Bill

#230523 - 03/28/08 03:25 PM Re: Would you Drop your current 76 key Arranger for a New Yamaha TYROS with 76 Keys?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Not sure if anybody has noticed with this thread, but only about 2 people have said they would buy a 76 note Tyros, the rest say they would buy one from another manufacture.
So far it seems that Yamaha is correct when they say there is no demand for a 76 note Tyros.

Bill

#230524 - 03/28/08 03:33 PM Re: Would you Drop your current 76 key Arranger for a New Yamaha TYROS with 76 Keys?
ianmcnll Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
And a better OS is a misguided farce..

Not according to the sales people I work with...they say the biggest complaint about Roland is their OS.

Add to that an arranger section that still has issues that haven't been dealt with, even with the OS 3.01 upgrade, and you hardly have a recipe for smooth and easy operation.

No wonder sales are dismal.

Ian

#230525 - 03/28/08 03:38 PM Re: Would you Drop your current 76 key Arranger for a New Yamaha TYROS with 76 Keys?
Dnj Offline

Ian I disagree the G70 has a great OS ....much easier and more in depth then Yamaha which is basic at best for serious style editing....the touch screen is excellent...

try Eq'ing just a single drum within a set on a Yamaha arranger

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online