Topic Options
#229760 - 03/21/08 03:59 PM Queen
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK

#229761 - 03/21/08 04:13 PM Re: Queen
Dnj Offline

Bill ......thanx for the link...
nice playing performance by Bret.....

Mamma Mia!!.....That old lady in the back of the room doesn't look enthralled at all !

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 03-21-2008).]

#229762 - 03/21/08 08:49 PM Re: Queen
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Maybe she was expecting more than playing over an audio track from a guy in a tuxedo with a $20,000 keyboard?!

I guess it's a shame I moved to the States, given how hokey and old-fashioned I could be if I had simply stayed at home... The only way I can be sure to stay working over here is to make sure I NEVER sound like that guy!

Maybe if I could get my old Butlins gig back (think 'Tommy's Holiday Camp") I could get away with that, but play like that around here, I would get laughed out of the joint...!

I ask again... where is the 'new guard' that can play these technological miracles, and NOT make them sound like you just dropped in at Blackpool Tower? I have yet to hear a Wersi demo that didn't make me feel like getting a stick of rock and riding the Tilt-a-Whirl...

#229763 - 03/21/08 08:57 PM Re: Queen
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I have yet to hear a Wersi demo that didn't make me feel like getting a stick of rock and riding the Tilt-a-Whirl...

Hahahahahahah I think I just wet myself hehehehe

#229764 - 03/22/08 02:10 AM Re: Queen
abacus Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Maybe she was expecting more than playing over an audio track from a guy in a tuxedo with a $20,000 keyboard?!

I guess it's a shame I moved to the States, given how hokey and old-fashioned I could be if I had simply stayed at home... The only way I can be sure to stay working over here is to make sure I NEVER sound like that guy!

Maybe if I could get my old Butlins gig back (think 'Tommy's Holiday Camp") I could get away with that, but play like that around here, I would get laughed out of the joint...!

I ask again... where is the 'new guard' that can play these technological miracles, and NOT make them sound like you just dropped in at Blackpool Tower? I have yet to hear a Wersi demo that didn't make me feel like getting a stick of rock and riding the Tilt-a-Whirl...

All good Artists play music to their audiences, (In this case a local keyboard club) and consequently your type of playing would not go down well either, as it’s not what the audience is looking for.
BTW while he does use backing tracks, (Although not as much as you think) they have all been played and recorded by himself. (No commercial files (Modified or otherwise) are used)
If you really want to hear Brett, meet him at venues where the audiences mill around the Organ and interact with him while he plays.
Concerts are great, but so is interaction, and this is where the keyboard festivals score, as you have close up interaction during the day and concerts at night. (You should try and get over some time, (And yes your type of playing would also be appreciated)
Enjoy however you play

Bill

[This message has been edited by abacus (edited 03-22-2008).]

#229765 - 03/22/08 04:12 PM Re: Queen
Diki Offline

But I believe my question is still unanswered...

Where IS the good stuff? Point us to some videos of musicians using these pricey instruments that AREN'T hokey...

If this is what the majority of players are playing ON them, I don't really hold out much hope for the future of the home organ. Younger players (far younger than me!) are going to dismiss them as hopelessly outdated, only good for entertaining a dwindling crowd of seniors that actually remember the glory days of the organ, now long past.

Unless they can be seen and heard in more contemporary musical situations, the market, the profits, and the outlook for these exorbitantly expensive behemoths is the same for the wooly mammoth.

Extinction.

#229766 - 03/23/08 02:53 AM Re: Queen
abacus Offline

In the 90s organs all but disappeared in the West, but still sold like hot cakes in the Asian market.
Now the organ is making a come back in the West, otherwise why would Roland, Lowrey, Hammond, Orla, Bohm and others be bringing out new instruments.
Only Yamaha still refuses to market their organs (Electones) in the West, however the pressure is growing even on them.

Bill

#229767 - 03/23/08 09:17 AM Re: Queen
Ensnareyou Offline

Loc: California
Diki,

Why not just pop into your Wersi dealer and play an OAS instrument for yourself then decide whether its capabilities are or aren't sufficient for your needs. I don't know of any other arranger with the same capabilities or sheer quality of factory sounds. When you add the fact that Wersi can play VST's and load AKAI samples, the sound palette surpasses any other arranger on the market. Only the Mediastation or Neko can perform similar functions but their GUI isn't nearly as intuitive as Wersi's.

I'll admit it would be nice to hear more contemporary demos from Wersi but if you hear the instrument in person, I think you'll see its quite contemporary in its sounds and features.

FYI... the majority of what Brett was playing clearly weren't backing tracks. With only two hands and two feet what more can you expect him to play live with absolutely no backing whatsoever?

#229768 - 03/23/08 01:00 PM Re: Queen
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I just searched for a list of Wersi dealers in the U.S. Found one, in Pennsylvania. Don't think I can pop in any time soon! :}
DonM

#229769 - 03/23/08 03:24 PM Re: Queen
Diki Offline

Ditto... send me one to try (for free) and I'll get back to you.

But how come it is up to ME to make it sound contemporary? Surely, if the Wersi IS that versatile, where are the demos from players with one?

Until it can match my G70 OOTB, why on earth would I want to pay three times as much? If I need VSTi's, I can get a G70 and a Muse Receptor for a fraction of the price...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online