SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#2291 - 03/20/05 07:50 AM USB or MIDI
Tatterdemalion Offline

I am trying to connect my Yamaha PSR-3000 to my PC to evaluate some sequencing software but am having difficulties.

I started with MIDI cables and was able to input notes but not have any sounds relayed back to the instrument.

The manual suggested that USB was a superior connection choice so I installed the supplied driver and had some success using "Anvil Studio". However, I really want to try out the "Sonar 4" demo but suspect that I am getting hangs and freezes.

Following the audible metronome count in I play notes (registered on screen) but they can't be heard via either the PC's speakers or those of the keyboard. When I shut down the software and then re-open it I find that my USB connection can no longer be selected from "MIDI Devices". This makes me think the USB port might need refreshing and that that may require a re-boot....

What do people think is the BEST connection type ? Is it likely that the USB driver may have been updated since last summer ?

#2292 - 03/20/05 10:23 AM Re: USB or MIDI
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
The best type of connections which was ever made is the MIDI-Strandard. Unfortunality the PC-Hardware was not made for music and so the PC doesn't have any special interrupt for MIDI-Signals.
If you're using a sound card with a game port then your OS has to interpret the PCI's interrupt as a MIDI's once. Also if you're using an USB plug the OS has to interpret the interrupt from USB as a MIDI's interrupt. This leads to the infamous problem of latency as long as Windows is your OS.

If you want to use the USB port:
1. Make sure that you're using the right USB drivers for your hardware

If you want to use the game port:
1. Don't use a normal sound card instead of an audio card
2. Make sure that this audio card uses the ASIOdirect standard
3. Make also sure that your MIDI program uses the ASIOdirect standard too
4. Make sure that your mainboard doesn't use the VIA's chip set (better use the Intel's chip set)

The audio card is the better solution if you want to use a harddisc recording system AND your MIDI system at the same time. For this I recommend the Steinberg's program called Cubase.

I'm not sure wether you're able to shoot your trouble with these informations or not. Let me know how it works!

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#2293 - 03/22/05 11:14 AM Re: USB or MIDI
Tatterdemalion Offline

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I decided to stop trying to use the USB cable when I thought one of my MIDI cables might be damaged and THAT might be the reason why I couldn't hear what I was playing as I recorded.

However, I've bought a new cable and STILL must have got my wiring wrong.

Do you have to enable a switch or setting on a keyboard to let it know that you want to hook it to a computer ?

I have a Yamaha PSR-3000 and I have connected its MIDI OUT to the MIDI IN on my computer and its MIDI IN to the computer's MIDI OUT.

The sound card I have is a SoundBlaster Audigy with a breakout box on the front of the PC for easy access to the MIDI PORTS.

I have downloaded a Yamaha PSR-3000 instrument definition file and am testing the Sonar 4 Demo.

I have opened a new MIDI file and have selected :

INPUT = SB Audigy MIDI Port [9800]
OUTPUT = SB Audigy MIDI Port II [9800]

(I wish the software would call them "In" and "Out" instead of "I" and "II")

CHANNEL = 1 Yamaha PSR3000
BANK = YamahaPSR3000Bank126
PATCH = Vintage Strum

When I start recording I hear the metronome through my keyboard and the notes that I am playing. However, they are from the Grand Piano Voice (not the guitar I have asked for) and no notes are sent to the PC.

It would be great if someone could let me know what I have done wrong.

#2294 - 03/23/05 09:14 AM Re: USB or MIDI
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by Tatterdemalion:
Do you have to enable a switch or setting on a keyboard to let it know that you want to hook it to a computer ?

I have an old Yamaha V-50 Workstation and there really is a soft switch on MIDI page called 'MIDI' with setting abilities from 'off' to 'on'.
Okay, I have the following settings on my kb controller:

Midi: on
BasicRch: 10 (because my yammie is device #10 in my MIDI chain)
KbdTch: 1 (this is my transmit channel)
Local: off (because I don't want to hear the yammie every time I press a key)

I'm using Cubase Audio as the sequencer program. So, I put my MIDI settings on screen and with my mouse cursor I switch to that instrument I want to hear by pressing a kb's key. At the same time this selected computer's MIDI channel recieves the incoming sequences from kb's MIDI transmit channel which is set to #1 (the sequencer works as a second MIDI controller which translates the incoming MIDI signals - in my case channel #1 - to the out going MIDI signals - in this case the on screen selected channel).

If I select device #10 on screen then my Yammie creates the sounds by pressing a key (remember: my yammie is device #10 sending on transmit channel #1).

Quote:
I have a Yamaha PSR-3000 and I have connected its MIDI OUT to the MIDI IN on my computer and its MIDI IN to the computer's MIDI OUT.

That's right!

Quote:
The sound card I have is a SoundBlaster Audigy with a breakout box on the front of the PC for easy access to the MIDI PORTS.

That's cool!

Quote:
I have downloaded a Yamaha PSR-3000 instrument definition file and am testing the Sonar 4 Demo...

I don't know anything about such downloadable MIDI files. I'm sorry! But I guess the trouble will be shot when you check your system to the list above...

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

[This message has been edited by Sheriff (edited 03-23-2005).]

#2295 - 03/23/05 12:17 PM Re: USB or MIDI
Tatterdemalion Offline

I can't find any MIDI switch on my Yamaha PSR3000.... there WAS one on my EZ-30.

I'm not getting anywhere with the MIDI cables so I have tried the USB again. I had to install the driver for a second time.

This allows me to get sound in and out but I don't get the voices that I want - a step up from the MIDI cables (I just don't understand why they don't do anything).

I chose the PSR-3000 for its great voices and would like to use them in an environment that is much more visual than that provided with its numbers-based on-board sequencer.

I thought to get access to those voices using a PC I would need an "Instrument Defintion File" for my particular model.

I've requested a Piano voice and am getting "WahClavi".....

I can't believe this isn't more straightforward.

#2296 - 03/23/05 03:44 PM Re: USB or MIDI
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
You might want to post at "The Bar" or "General Arranger" sections here since most of us at "General Discussion" don't use arranger KBs.
There are tons of PSR users at the sections that I've mentioned so they will most likely be able to help you.

Just as a guess, there has got to be a USB/MIDI switch on your keyboard.
Have you checked the user manual?
I'm asking this because 90 percent of people don't read user manuals and prefer to learn things the hard and painful way.

-ED-

#2297 - 03/30/05 05:38 AM Re: USB or MIDI
babylon Offline

Loc: Saline, Mi.
Quote:
I am trying to connect my Yamaha PSR-3000 to my PC to evaluate some sequencing software but am having difficulties.

I started with MIDI cables and was able to input notes but not have any sounds relayed back to the instrument.

The manual suggested that USB was a superior connection choice so I installed the supplied driver and had some success using "Anvil Studio". However, I really want to try out the "Sonar 4" demo but suspect that I am getting hangs and freezes.

Following the audible metronome count in I play notes (registered on screen) but they can't be heard via either the PC's speakers or those of the keyboard. When I shut down the software and then re-open it I find that my USB connection can no longer be selected from "MIDI Devices". This makes me think the USB port might need refreshing and that that may require a re-boot....

What do people think is the BEST connection type ? Is it likely that the USB driver may have been updated since last summer ?

Open Sonar...go up to tools pull down menu..choose instruments...define..select (highlight SB midi port 1...on left menu..then go to right side menu and highlight your PSR 3000. this after assuming you have hooked up your in out midi cables

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online