SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#228767 - 03/07/08 12:27 PM MIDI Program Change on Yamaha Arrangers
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Hi - this question is for Tyros 2 and/or S900 users.

If I have an external device that can send the proper MIDI commands to select Voices on a Yamaha arranger (I'm using Tyros2 and/or S900) - I have heard that it won't work right ... because when you select a Voice from the keyboard's button panel, alot more is "done for you" than just selecting the voice.

I have heard (but can't yet test) that if I send the proper MIDI program change and bank # etc. for say "Blues Guitar" voice, I'll get the raw voice, but not the preset effects (DSP) etc. for the voice - so it won't sound the same as if I had selected the same sound from the keyboard's control panel.

Is there a way around this? I was thinking of adding a hardware MIDI box (with alot of buttons/sliders) so that I could program some buttons to instantly call up frequently used sounds. Before I buy this device, I wanted to know if this would work, or would not, with these Yamaha arrangers.

Is there a more advanced MIDI command "string" that I could have the device send to the Yamaha to make it call up the Voice and all its associated settings, DSP, etc. so it sounds just as if I had selected the same voice from the keyboard buttons?

Another reason I might want to do this is to have a small external MIDI keyboard (maybe 2-3 octaves) attached to the Yamaha arranger, and use it for "solo voices". I did this with my Technics KN-7000 and it was nice; I sort of had a 2-manual "organ"!
And all I had to do was program the mini MIDI keyboard to send program and bank changes, all worked fine on the Technics.

Thanks,
Jim

#228768 - 03/09/08 07:13 PM Re: MIDI Program Change on Yamaha Arrangers
vagro Offline

Loc: Argentina
Hi! You don't need to change the sounds from the controller if you want to make a kind of organ set up. See my post <3WStagea the arrangeorgan> and watch the video. I use a controller keyboard next to my PSR but it only sends midi notes info in one channel matching the receiving channel of the arranger as a song part. All the changes in the sound are made directly from the PSR manually or as a programmed registration change. If you have any doubt let me know. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by vagro (edited 03-09-2008).]

Korg Pa3x 61 - Mediastation X76 - Yamaha Psr s900 - Korg Tr61 - Roland PK5A - NanoKontrol - Ensoniq SQ1 - Yamaha D85 organ

#228769 - 03/10/08 04:35 PM Re: MIDI Program Change on Yamaha Arrangers
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Thanks for your reply, I'll try to look at the video.

My case is a bit different; I'd like to be able to, on the fly at a moment's notice, select a different sound for this external keyboard - with ONE button press. I did this with a Technics, a Roland midi keyboard, and a Peavey 1600x MIDI device. At any time, I pressed ONE button, and my mini MIDI keyboard played a trumpet - or a sax - or strings - or whatever I programmed into the MIDI data string. It always came up with the exact sound I wanted, with all the settings (DSP, etc.) proper for that sound.

I like to be able to, at a moment's notice, change the sound that I'm getting when playing an external MIDI keyboard connected to the Yamaha.

Thanks!
Jim

#228770 - 03/11/08 12:32 AM Re: MIDI Program Change on Yamaha Arrangers
jwyvern Offline

Jim, you're right changing just the voice numbers doesn't bring in all the effects.
On the other hand if you change a voice by pushing a registration button the reg. sends the whole string of data necessary to set up the voice effects. Hence you can change voices via registrations when recording to a sequencer and they'll turn out OK.)
So you could try sending your voice changes in that way.

I think there may be utility programs that address the issue - perhaps PSRUTI??
Not having used it myself I can't be sure.

John

#228771 - 03/11/08 01:50 PM Re: MIDI Program Change on Yamaha Arrangers
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Yes, Jim... I've been bumping my head against this problem for a while. I'd REALLY like to be able to combine Roland and Yamaha arrangers, but Yamaha seem to be designed to be things unto themselves, rather than team players.

There are a LOT of things that you can't do by using MIDI on a Yamaha arranger - codes for variation and fill changes don't get sent or received, you can't send certain Parts on MIDI and certain Parts played by the Internal voices, there's no easy way (short of sending a registration change) to get a voice with it's effects...

On the whole, it seems more trouble than it's worth to try to Link them into one über-arranger (not that Roland make it MUCH easier, but some of the basic arranger operation CAN be done remotely). It's a shame, as I think that the combination of Roland/Yamaha would balance each other nicely. One's strengths is the other's weaknesses.

Oh well....

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online