SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#228581 - 03/04/08 08:26 PM My new toys
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Thought you SZoners would like to know about my new set up..

Today I purchased a new EMU X board 61 controller...I love it..

You may recall I bought and used a Axiom 61 last year..for about 3 weeks...There were a couple things that it did not do correctly..and I sold it..

This EMU has a great key feel, and I am not just talking controller..It reminds me of the E-60..key feel, and keyboard construction..The keys are semi weighted[yes weights under the keys]..

It also has 4 zones..after touch, and 8 touch curves..
It does not have sliders, but the 16 knobs work as draw bars with the Native Instruments B4..Mod wheel controls fast/slow Leslie..

It remembers 16 set ups and takes snapshots of panel settings..

I am using the EMU Xboard61 , powered by the USB to my laptop, controlling the B4, and midi'd to the Roland DisCover5m...allowing me to play sounds from the Roland..This connection also allows the laptop to play the DisCover5m , if I so desire..

If I need to play a style, I have a set up ready to play JammerLive on the laptop.

Also available are my soft synths..

The laptop plays my MP3's..

So for now it appears to be working ok, and gives me another Studio/Stage set up..

The DisCover5m works great..very similar to the DisCover5 keyboard I used for a year or two..The harmonizer and SMF features are great too..

It may sound complicated, but not really..
and the weights are 10 pound controller, 10 pound module and a 7 pound laptop..

More comments at a later time..after I run it through it's paces..

Keep an eye out in the for sale section..just in case..

#228582 - 03/04/08 10:24 PM Re: My new toys
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Fran... I'm not so sure putting the Leslie fast/slow on the mod wheel as a default is such a good idea.

The problem starts when you layer the organ with something else. Then it's either a case of you've got to go to the destination keyboard for the non-organ sound, and defeat the modulation, just for that patch (and those similar in needing no modulation), or you've got to re-route the mod wheel to a switch or button for the organ Leslie, for layers with a sound that DOES need the mod wheel for something (vibrato, timbre changes, etc.), otherwise it's going to drive the Leslie crazy when you use it for the other sound.

On the G70, I FAR prefer either an FC-7 switch, or the D-Beam to control the Leslie, and I wish I could defeat it on the bender so sax/organ, or guitar/organ layers (e.g.) didn't ramp it up and down like crazy...

But your new keyboard isn't wired that way (unless you want it!). So, if you have an opportunity to change Leslie F/S to another source, you might save a bit of head-scratching later on...

Just a thought

#228583 - 03/05/08 12:38 AM Re: My new toys
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
By default the B4 uses the Mod Wheel for Fast/Slow, however with B4II you can reassign the Midi cc codes to whatever you want, (Or just use the learn function) and then save it as the default setting, therefore any button or switch that can output a Midi cc code can be used.
Hope this helps

Bill

#228584 - 03/05/08 03:10 AM Re: My new toys
Dnj Offline

#228585 - 03/05/08 04:53 AM Re: My new toys
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Interesting setup, Fran.

I'd like to try this setup myself.

What do you use for a sound source on the Laptop for the B4 Software and the VST's? Do you have a PCMCIA Sound Card or are you using the on board laptop sound engine?

I have a Dell Lattitude 410, but I think I would need a more robust sound engine, no?

That keyboard controller looks nice and I have seen it in the music stores. Too band it doesn't come in a 76 key flavor for those folks who have 61 key arrangers who want the extra octave.

P.S. I know the subject is off-limits, but why aren't you using the Mediastation for this type of setup?

Regards,
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#228586 - 03/05/08 05:32 AM Re: My new toys
Fran Carango Offline

Diki, as Bill mentioned the mod wheel is the default setting of B4 fast/slow Leslie..It is assignable to any other button..

Al , yes I would have loved a 76 key controller with the same options as this X board 61...
The other choices were 88 keys that weighed more than my G70....or other 88 key controllers that limited to a single zone and no frills..

There are some nice 76 controllers that are expensive, with nice features, but again weigh as much as the G70[and the G70 would win hands down]..

This EMU, has a great semi weighted touch with after touch and 4 zones..These were my main concerns

BTW: I couldn't hear the soft spoken sales person, and ended up purchasing a 24 month extended, replacement warranty ($15 option}..But since I got a great buy, I didn't mind the option..

#228587 - 03/05/08 06:20 AM Re: My new toys
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Sounds like you should have kept the E-60.

#228588 - 03/05/08 06:58 AM Re: My new toys
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:

Ouch

#228589 - 03/05/08 07:54 AM Re: My new toys
Fran Carango Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:

Cass , since I made enough off the sale of the E-60 to pay for my new toys...I guess I did alright..

Besides I wanted a quality controller in my studio..
The EMU and the DisCover5m..work well in my studio..and I can take them on the road too..

How was I to get vocal harmonies from the E-60?...

#228590 - 03/05/08 09:15 AM Re: My new toys
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
E-60 + Digitech Vocalist VR = 29lbs. 76 keys, two pieces, and no laptop.

But then again, these are just toys.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online