SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#228455 - 03/01/08 10:33 PM Chord question for Pa800, Pa1x, Pa2x owners
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Would some of you please try the following on your board and post the results?

In "Fingered 1" mode you can trigger a minor chord by playing just the root and the minor third above the root. My question is, does it still recognize the chord if you play the minor third BELOW the root?

I know this works on some recent-issue Rolands, but it DOES NOT work on my PA50. Please give it a try on the newer Korgs and post your findings here!
Thanks,
Ted

[This message has been edited by TedS (edited 03-01-2008).]

#228456 - 03/02/08 04:56 PM Re: Chord question for Pa800, Pa1x, Pa2x owners
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
PA50 may be different, but I understand that G70 doesn't recognize single fingered chords at all.
Even though I played one for several months, I didn't ever look, so I can't say for sure.
My point is that this may be the problem--they just do it differently.
DonM

#228457 - 03/02/08 07:23 PM Re: Chord question for Pa800, Pa1x, Pa2x owners
TedS Offline

Don, I didn't try the G-70 specifically. But the little EXR-5s has "Chord Intelligence" which allows you to play minor chords with just the root and the minor third-- above OR BELOW the root. It also allows you to specify whether you want the bass to follow the root or the lowest note.

I just want to know if the newer Korgs give the same flexibility. It helps to have choices, so you don't have to move your hand all over the place. -Ted

#228458 - 03/02/08 08:13 PM Re: Chord question for Pa800, Pa1x, Pa2x owners
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
It doesn't make sense to recognize the third BELOW the root...how else could you play the six chord?

eg:
G + Bb(above) = Gm
but
G + E(below) SHOULD = Em

It's a backwards way of thinking, and goes against basic theory.

#228459 - 03/02/08 11:56 PM Re: Chord question for Pa800, Pa1x, Pa2x owners
TedS Offline

Dave, I agree that G + E (below) would be E-minor because the interval from E to G is a minor third. I also agree that G + Bb (above) is a G-minor chord for the same reason

The scenario I am asking about is something like Bb + G (Bb below G). For example, play Bb with your left little finger and G with your thumb. If you added the fifth (D), you would have G-minor. So even without the fifth, you still have the makings of an inverted G-minor chord.

Whoever programmed the PA50 agrees with you, because does interpret Bb2 + G3 as Bb6. But IMO sixth chords are comparatively rare. (even when they come up, you can usually substitute a major chord). I prefer the Roland's flexibility of being able to trigger minor chords by playing the third below the root because it allows me to play more different chords without changing hand position.

This gets back to my original question. Do you have one of the new Korgs, and are they programmed the same as the PA50?
Thanks for your input,
Ted

#228460 - 03/03/08 03:55 AM Re: Chord question for Pa800, Pa1x, Pa2x owners
donpatt Offline

Loc: Lufkin, TX.
Hi Ted

The "finger 1" position is what I use on my PA2X. G+Bb above = Gm; G+Bb below = Bb6.
Don't know if there's any way to change that!

Hope this helps,
Don P

#228461 - 03/03/08 05:27 AM Re: Chord question for Pa800, Pa1x, Pa2x owners
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Play the chord..

#228462 - 03/03/08 01:48 PM Re: Chord question for Pa800, Pa1x, Pa2x owners
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Perhaps a little less bluntly that Fran, but yes, play the full chord.

As much effort as you have taken to remember these non-musical shortcuts, if applied to simply learning the full chord in the first place would result in you not even NEEDING this limited system.

Got your pinky on Bb, got your thumb on G? Easy play gives you ONE choice.

Put your index finger on Eb, you got and Eb chord. Put your third finger on D, you got a Gmin. Add one more finger, you can, without moving the pinky and thumb, get Bb6, Cmin7, Bbdim, Ebmaj7 and a host of other chords.

Less jumping about to hit different notes ONE way. More keeping your LH steady, and having a host of choices with minimal movement. Easy Play chords are a dead end street, that once you go down, you will have to UNLEARN to progress further.

The same amount of effort to master (especially as you are now acknowledging the existence of more complicated chords than simple maj and min), spent on learning normal chord voicing will take you MUCH further down the path towards musical fluency.

And once you learn the HOW of a chord, it's a small step to the WHY of it... And then, that's when the fun REALLY starts!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online