SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 7 of 11 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#228073 - 03/03/08 02:24 PM Re: ZUKI How do you like the Roland G70?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Roland's have no control over trigger options, just fingering ones.

But let us look a little closer... One thing to look for in peer reviews like this is common threads or complaints. The more people complain about a particular arranger's shortcomings, the more likely they are to have gotten it right.

To be honest, glitchy styles is NOT something that many have posted about. The weight... sure! The OS (nothing like Yamaha)... sure! The guitar sounds (especially in style mode)... sure.

But I don't recall much comment about that. Which begs the question... What is Zuki doing that no-one else did? This is hard to tell without an audio file. I wish we could hear Zuki play it, and see what is going on.

One thing to ask straight away... you say you are playing large complex jazz chords. Is that in two hands? Were you using the appropriate chord recognition system for that style of play? What is that system you ask? (Or actually, DIDN"T ask - anything - before you bailed)

I guess you're either overconfident that there is NOTHING a seasoned G70 player could tell you that you couldn't figure out for yourself, or unwilling to ask for help, but you end up reporting your problems LONG after you've already publicly announced your disdain for the G70 and your intention to drop it.

Kudos... after getting into this business relatively recently, it's nice to know that there is NOTHING that anyone needs help you with... Me, I get a new arranger, first thing I do is ASK those that already have said arranger if the problems I'm bumping into have a solution. Or if it's just me not grasping the OS and operation correctly. I guess that makes me a moron.

But a happy one, rather than dissatisfied.

And, you know what? Should I get an S900, I WILL ask Zuki, and Donny, and anyone else who'll talk with me about the issues I'm having, LONG before I issue a pronouncement about what a piece of rubbish it is, and by inference, what idiots you all are to use such a flawed piece of kit....

But that's just me... I'm no expert

#228074 - 03/03/08 02:43 PM Re: ZUKI How do you like the Roland G70?
Dnj Offline

Diki....
great post & some of the things I mentioned in my curiosity being I owned a G70 myself.....an audio file of the problem (s) would make alot of sense & explain to a fuller extent for sure.

#228075 - 03/03/08 03:50 PM Re: ZUKI How do you like the Roland G70?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Leave the poor guy alone!
He told us a long time ago he likes the Yamie OS, it works for him and doesn't want to take the time to learn anything else.
couldn't get more honest than that.

#228076 - 03/03/08 04:18 PM Re: ZUKI How do you like the Roland G70?
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
I can understand Zuki.

My advice is stick with Yammy (best arranger and O/S for OMB if you use western styles and use style play).(People don't quote me if you use the Kb as drum machine with LH bass or mainly as SMF /mp3 player or sequencer,or saying mine has better keys or VH).I'm talikng about STYLE PLAY AS AN ARRANGER FOR OMB who is doing everything on fly.Currently nothing beats s 900 or T2.T2 to me is a little over priced.S900's key fell is not great.

Yes , there'll be compromise , but the gain is more .Ketron,Korg and Roland overall styles,navigation,versatility as true OMB doen't come close to 2 upper model Yammys(s900 and T2).(Yes I know They can, they have done better in their times,but they are not getting the point intentionally on unintentionally for last 7-8 years.)Loosing out to Yamaha in western arranger market.

Buy $ 299 TC VH pedal.

If you love Korg's sounds, a used triron X treme is only $800 includes sampling and combis.used triton Tr is 450$.
Both can sequence,(SD card input in TR),USB to device (Xtreme).Both can play SMFs wihout anyproblem.Non stop SMF playback.Xtreme has more simu EFX than 2xpro and it can do almost everything.

write a SMF with your S900,load it to X treme,change sounds,efx and you'll have ultimate setup.

BTW -it's very easy to sell both TR and Xtreme if you don't want it.

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 03-03-2008).]

#228077 - 03/03/08 04:43 PM Re: ZUKI How do you like the Roland G70?
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Diki thank!! You just made the point that i alluded to earlier. I dont care how good you are you cannot discover the capabilities of these boards in a week.
The manufacturers do things differently to achieve the same ends but its quite easy to miss the benefits of these functions because the instrument does not work the way your last one did.

And Chas you misunderstood and misqouted me earlier . I said i was unwilling to help when a new user had dificulties using an instrument if they did not hold it long enough before i could respond to their query and after i had taken the time to prepare a detailed explanation. It had nothing to do with their intention to sell the board.just my wasted time.

#228078 - 03/03/08 04:44 PM Re: ZUKI How do you like the Roland G70?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:
Leave the poor guy alone!
He told us a long time ago he likes the Yamie OS, it works for him and doesn't want to take the time to learn anything else.
couldn't get more honest than that.

Would that he took his own honesty to heart...

Not much point buying and dropping two of the TOTL arrangers out there if that's all he wanted. Hell he could have asked ANY of us whether a Korg or Roland work ANYTHING like a Yamaha, and we would ALL have said 'No... nothing like it' (in fact, a few of us did BEFORE he bought them).

The thing I guess most of us are in arms about isn't so much the super-quick bailing on the PA800 and G70, but the stentorian pronouncement of what rubbish these keyboards are, with as cursory an effort as he made to grok them.

The only thing Zuki found out about the Roland was... it wasn't a Yamaha. Duh!

But many of his other comments - glitch styles, piano weak and thin (!) fly directly in the face of common everyday experience of owners and reviewers alike. If someone takes the time and effort to WRITE a review, it would be nice if they simply took the effort to find out if their opinions are based on unfamiliarity. Which I believe Zuki didn't.

As I said earlier... If I went out and spent a day on an S900, didn't ask ANYONE about anything that confused me, or contradicted what I'd been reading about for months, came back and pronounced it rubbish with no more research than that... Well, I'd have most of the Yamaha users (probably Zuki included) up in arms about so cursory a tryout!

Sauce for the goose...

#228079 - 03/03/08 06:00 PM Re: ZUKI How do you like the Roland G70?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY

#228080 - 03/03/08 06:57 PM Re: ZUKI How do you like the Roland G70?
zuki Offline

Perhaps if I fall down and worship the G70 and all its wonderful attributes

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#228081 - 03/03/08 07:19 PM Re: ZUKI How do you like the Roland G70?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Perhaps if I fall down and worship the G70 and all its wonderful attributes

And with that ladies & gentleman we bring this episode to an end

#228082 - 03/03/08 11:59 PM Re: ZUKI How do you like the Roland G70?
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by jamman:
I can understand Zuki.

My advice is stick with Yammy (best arranger and O/S for OMB if you use western styles and use style play).(People don't quote me if you use the Kb as drum machine with LH bass or mainly as SMF /mp3 player or sequencer,or saying mine has better keys or VH).I'm talikng about STYLE PLAY AS AN ARRANGER FOR OMB who is doing everything on fly.Currently nothing beats s 900 or T2.T2 to me is a little over priced.S900's key fell is not great.

Yes , there'll be compromise , but the gain is more .Ketron,Korg and Roland overall styles,navigation,versatility as true OMB doen't come close to 2 upper model Yammys(s900 and T2).(Yes I know They can, they have done better in their times,but they are not getting the point intentionally on unintentionally for last 7-8 years.)Loosing out to Yamaha in western arranger market.

Buy $ 299 TC VH pedal.

If you love Korg's sounds, a used triron X treme is only $800 includes sampling and combis.used triton Tr is 450$.
Both can sequence,(SD card input in TR),USB to device (Xtreme).Both can play SMFs wihout anyproblem.Non stop SMF playback.Xtreme has more simu EFX than 2xpro and it can do almost everything.

write a SMF with your S900,load it to X treme,change sounds,efx and you'll have ultimate setup.

BTW -it's very easy to sell both TR and Xtreme if you don't want it.

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 03-03-2008).]

If Yamaha is just a style karaoke machine, then they are way over priced. Most people if they are going to buy an arranger for that amount of money they do not just want a machine that is a one fingered style karaoke turn on the keyboard sound like a recording type of thing. Most people want to play and give their own take to the music. And that takes features to make them do that. More importantly, the purpose of an arranger is to have close to all of one’s musical needs in one place. Most people do not want to pay a lot of money for a style karaoke keyboard then pay money for a keyboard that can play midi files then pay money for a wave/MP3 recording device and then pay money for something that they would feel good playing on (keybed). Most people would pay money to have all those features in one keyboard. Integration. That is what the Korg, Rolands, Ketron and Mediastation offer.

Page 7 of 11 < 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online