SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#228103 - 03/04/08 10:48 AM Re: ZUKI How do you like the Roland G70?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Look, before anyone else starts accusing me of being a Roland fanatic (you all KNOW how much I bitch about it!), let me just tell you I don't care if the bad review is of a Roland, or a Ketron, or a Korg, or any damn thing...

I just care whether the opinion is derived from sufficient time in the saddle, and a modicum of communication with experienced users. Otherwise, it is a 'brief impression'. And should be posted as such. We have countless queries from newbies asking our opinion of arrangers they would like to buy. I simply feel that we owe them the full disclosure of just how long we spent, and how much effort we took, coming up with those 'impressions'.

Otherwise they might take my panning of an S900 after the briefest of confused tryouts of it seriously...

You wouldn't want that, would you?

#228104 - 03/04/08 11:24 AM Re: ZUKI How do you like the Roland G70?
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Zuki,

Having two keyboards isn't much of a hassle, as long as they are both fairly compact and/or light.

I plan on taking a digital piano along with me on my gigs as soon as someone makes a fine sounding and great feeling 88 note hammer action under 30-35 lbs.

I'd love to do a few solo piano pieces but 61 and 76 aren't enough...plus I want weighted hammer for solo piano.

Ian

Ian check out the Kurzweil PC1SE 76 note fully wieghted with the highly regarded Kurz Classic Keys Rom included..Great touch and overall weight. Makes a great controller too. http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/Product.php?product=48
Cheers
Dennis

#228105 - 03/04/08 12:17 PM Re: ZUKI How do you like the Roland G70?
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Dennis, the Kurzweil looks great, but at 46 lbs it doesn't meet my weight criteria.

However, the piano that Scott mentioned, the P85 looks pretty cool, and being a Yamaha, would be something I could get a great discount on.

I'll have to check it out.

Thanks to both you and Scott for the info.

Ian

#228106 - 03/04/08 02:02 PM Re: ZUKI How do you like the Roland G70?
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Hi Zuki,

Instead of 2 boards you might consider the Ketron MidJay. It only weighs 7 lbs and it has great styles, it holds midi, mp3 and wav files and it records as well. It's a great kick butt little box.

Good luck,

Joe

#228107 - 03/04/08 02:33 PM Re: ZUKI How do you like the Roland G70?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Zuki,
I don't actually use harmonizers so it's not a function I've really checked out.
Are you actually playing the PSR live
& hoping to use the korgs vocalizer for the harmony?

Is it still the lack of certain styles that prevents you from being able to use the PA800 wholly & solely??

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:

Here's what I plan to do, but don't know how:

1. Dbl stand the boards
2. Have the 800 as the default mic input.
3. Use the harmony feature while using the 800 AND while using the 900 style play.
4. Is it possible to play the 900 arranger and use the VH? (the 900 guitars pull off some terrific Everly Bros, 50s, etc medleys where I want harmony now).
. I believe the 800 could never replace Yamaha, although I'll now kick it up a notch to find out.

zuki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#228108 - 03/04/08 04:17 PM Re: ZUKI How do you like the Roland G70?
zuki Offline

Hi Rikki,

Good to hear from someone civil

Yes, I plan to utilize the harmony a lot. The little time I had it, I loved that feature.

I thought the PA was ALMOST there to replace my beloved 900, but yes, fell short in the total style department.

Stephen is going to send me some styles, so I need to harbor a bunch of 3rd party to get this thing to take over the show.

I plan to work out 10+ songs and take it live with me.

I still need to figure out how to hook everything up and will be sure to pick your knowledge as I learn more about the board.

Thanks for everything,
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#228109 - 03/04/08 04:21 PM Re: ZUKI How do you like the Roland G70?
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Songman55:
Hi Zuki,

Instead of 2 boards you might consider the Ketron MidJay. It only weighs 7 lbs and it has great styles, it holds midi, mp3 and wav files and it records as well. It's a great kick butt little box.

Good luck,

Joe

Thanks Joe,

Deal already done on the 800. Getting it with full intention to lug it around with the 900. I don't mind an extra piece of equipment if it'll make my show more interesting with the harmonies and more lively band sound.

Regards,
zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Yamaha PSR SX900/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Senn 935/K&M stand/Shure SM57/Sony C80 (2)/Blue Encore 300

#228110 - 03/04/08 04:28 PM Re: ZUKI How do you like the Roland G70?
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
wow..I only have 5 in March[easy month)

If you have a Yamaha, you can get 50 + gigs per month too.

kidding? may be a little-also a little truth in western music playin/style using and singing in OMB world( for the past decade by most).

[This message has been edited by jamman (edited 03-04-2008).]

#228111 - 03/04/08 04:33 PM Re: ZUKI How do you like the Roland G70?
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Look, before anyone else starts accusing me of being a Roland fanatic (you all KNOW how much I bitch about it!), let me just tell you I don't care if the bad review is of a Roland, or a Ketron, or a Korg, or any damn thing...

I just care whether the opinion is derived from sufficient time in the saddle, and a modicum of communication with experienced users. Otherwise, it is a 'brief impression'. And should be posted as such. We have countless queries from newbies asking our opinion of arrangers they would like to buy. I simply feel that we owe them the full disclosure of just how long we spent, and how much effort we took, coming up with those 'impressions'.

Otherwise they might take my panning of an S900 after the briefest of confused tryouts of it seriously...

You wouldn't want that, would you?

A big reason I chose to look at the SD-5 and G70 were due to reviews from seasoned veterans that had their instruments a long time. In retrospect, those reviews left me scratching my head. Who's to say that those reviews didn't set me back?

The right to offer a review is my right. Take it or leave it. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts.

Some just figure things out faster than others.

My life (business and music) is fast paced. I can discern what's best for my audience very quickly and that's all I really care about.

zuki

#228112 - 03/04/08 04:41 PM Re: ZUKI How do you like the Roland G70?
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Thanks Joe,

Deal already done on the 800. Getting it with full intention to lug it around with the 900. I don't mind an extra piece of equipment if it'll make my show more interesting with the harmonies and more lively band sound.

Regards,
zuki

Midjay can't replace 800 IMO.800 is 85 % or 2x pro.900 is 80% of T2.So you are getting a good setup if you can carry.

If you have more SMF and little style using gigs PA 800 can take care.

Go to Irishacts - D/L converted Yam to Korg styles (you also haveRolnad to Korg and Solton(ketron) to korg styles)- good 8 beats from YAM 9000 series.No they won't sound good (some tracks ) as Yammy but that's a good start.

Page 10 of 11 < 1 2 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online