SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#227950 - 02/25/08 07:31 PM Has anyone hooked a Motif rack to a Tyros 2
chony Offline

Loc: New York
I'm thinking of buying a Motif rack to replace the annoying sounds on the T2 - mainly the bass and drums, but I want to be sure - will it work? Has anyone tried it?

I'd like the Motif to be able to recognize that when the Yamaha sends the MIDI signal for a finger bass, it should replace it with another finger bass that I choose; a slap bass, with a slap bass that I choose. Same with drum kits. I need to be able to assign the T2's default incoming MIDI signal for a sound, with another sound of my choice on the Motif.

Can this be done?
Chony

#227951 - 02/26/08 01:30 AM Re: Has anyone hooked a Motif rack to a Tyros 2
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Chony,
I have a Motif ES rack and a Tyros 2 but am afraid that what you are planning cannot be done so simply. Yes, you can hook the T2 to the Motif, and the drum and bass channel will match but you will have no control over the program change numbers sent everytime you load a different style and most of the times you will have to rotate frantically your data knob to choose a sound of your liking while the arranger is playing.
The only (partial) solution that comes to my mind is to create a Multi setup for every genre of music you play (like an acoustic set, a jazz set, a rock set, etc) where you choose a drumkit and a bass sound for every kind of music and then save these Multis filtering out the option to receive bank and program change numbers (so they stay the same, even when you select a different style on the Tyros).

I have always dreamt to incorporate my modules into my arranger setup and have finally solved this problem connecting them both to the Korg PA2X Pro, which gives you the choice to send the midi notes for every track of a style to an internal sound or an external tone generator and you can also program the correct Bank and Program change numbers and save them as a part of a Performance (which is the equivalent of a Yamaha Registration).
And there is more than that, because you have the same choice with the notes you play with your right hand, because you can route all the three parts (R1, R2 and R3) to an internal sound or to a midi channel and again save inside a Performance the right Bank and Program change numbers.
Just to make an example, I have created a Performance called "Setembro" (from the same song as played by Quincy Jones) where in the right hand I have a layer of three different vocal sounds: one from the PA2X, one from the Motif ES and one from the Fantom: choir heaven!

#227952 - 02/26/08 04:55 AM Re: Has anyone hooked a Motif rack to a Tyros 2
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Chony, why don't you just sell the T2 and get the Pa2xpro which is what I did. ;-)

It really has that, "LIVE" sound your looking for over the T2. There are maybe a handful of sounds from the T2 that I will miss, but there are so many more sounds in the Pa2 that are really, really, very good.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#227953 - 02/26/08 08:29 AM Re: Has anyone hooked a Motif rack to a Tyros 2
tony harbour Offline

Loc: wilts,england
I was researching this with the G70 for use with a Fantom XR rack sampler , the midi again does not allow instrument presets to control external expanders via midi (correct me if i wrong)

Having googled deeper i found the Bohm Starbird range (which i've heard v little of) is offering this facility . THis is a German manufacturer who i think compete with Wersi (perhaps wersis do it too?)

#227954 - 02/26/08 09:47 AM Re: Has anyone hooked a Motif rack to a Tyros 2
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Tony, there's a fairly complete description at Roland-arranger.com on how to use external modules with the G70.

In essence, it boils down to, for SMF and Style use, no problem, most codes can be written into the style or SMF, and a Linked MIDI set routes each Part appropriately. For live Keyboard Parts, it's a bit more complicated, but short story... You Link an SMF to the UPG that calls up the external Tones for you to play.

Full details here: http://www.roland-arranger.com/smf/index.php?topic=618.msg3498#msg3498

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 02-26-2008).]

#227955 - 02/26/08 11:50 AM Re: Has anyone hooked a Motif rack to a Tyros 2
tony harbour Offline

Hi Diki,

I remember reading/skimming over that in the G70 user manual - never took it all in as it was a bit double dutch to me at the time - i'll have a re:read to see if it is useable - thanks for the "heads up"

Tony

#227956 - 02/26/08 12:21 PM Re: Has anyone hooked a Motif rack to a Tyros 2
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
It's not in the manual. There is no 'official' way to do this. Fortunately, Roland-arranger.com has a few technically minded members to work it all out for you!

There's quite a bit you can do with a G70 that isn't in the manual at all.

#227957 - 02/26/08 02:48 PM Re: Has anyone hooked a Motif rack to a Tyros 2
tony harbour Offline

Thanks v. much Diki,

The user programs are something i confess i haven't exploited (even after 3 years - so far have got by saving regs to them and placing in MA without really understanding - it just works!) - have read up and digested a bit more this evening and now think it can handle my bass pedals / organ piston type setups too

Re: orgiinal Q - controlling midi expander - i see how to do this now - as you said - actually implementing it might be another matter - have to work out how to create a midi control message and save as midi file - presumably it can be done with sequencer somehow ?

This has got me interested me in the G70 - should last at least until the G80/Tyros3 hits the market !cool:

[This message has been edited by tony harbour (edited 02-26-2008).]

#227958 - 02/26/08 04:42 PM Re: Has anyone hooked a Motif rack to a Tyros 2
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Chony,
a korg pa800 or pa2x would be a better choice for midiing up to a soundmodule than a yamaha.
I even managed to get the PA800 to control the SD2 soundmodule which has no buttons & no screen. With my psr 1500 , I was only able to access the default gm bank.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chony:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#227959 - 02/26/08 10:19 PM Re: Has anyone hooked a Motif rack to a Tyros 2
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Perhaps then, there is a small machine, or a computer program I can put between the two to make this work?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online