SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#227780 - 02/25/08 12:14 AM For people in bands
bibi00 Offline

I have a general question for all the people in bands: how good do you have to be in a band? What are some usual ways one find their first band? I'm asking this because I want to join or make some kind of dream pop/shoegaze band and I just want to know how an inexperienced keyboardist can join a band? Would i have to join a band with other inexperienced musicians because I would think no experienced people would want to be in a band with inexperienced musicians. Also, the genre of making i'm aiming to create isn't a very popular genre, would i have to take into consideration of that? Thanks

#227781 - 02/25/08 04:57 AM Re: For people in bands
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
My first question to you is; What is a Shoegaze band?

Like so many others on this board, i'm a multi-instrumentalist. I play keyboards with some bands, play drums with others, and do solo gigs with an arranger keyboard or with a female singer.

Clearly, doing a one man show on an arranger is the most difficult. YOU are the show.

Playing in a band is the most relaxing, fun thing to do for a keyboard player. The framework of the song is built for the most part, by the rhythm section and the guitarist and the keyboard player does the signature runs, fills, chording, and solos. It's all very low impact, IMHO.

The most demanding for me is playing drums for my Dance/Wedding band. Keeping a driving beat with perfection and precision is a difficult task when you have other musicians with poor timing. It is also very physically and mentally demanding. You cannot let your mind drift or so will your timing.

Remember, keyboard players are actually mini-percussionists since in it's purest form, a Piano is a percussion instrument!!

------------------
Al Giordano
http://www.arrangerworld.com

Tyros 2, Korg Pa2xpro, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums, Roland TD-12 Vdrums, Roland SPD-S.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#227782 - 02/25/08 05:31 AM Re: For people in bands
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Optimly, of couse, Al is right. But if you feel you may not be up to solo's, you might consider getting started with a volunteer band, with the older members handling solo's. You could fill in with needed instruments.

I have been playing as a one man band with arrangers for many years, but missed playing with a band. I decided to look in on a seniors band of 15 or 20 good old time musicians. They were a bit skeptical of accepting an electronic keyboard, but the key was supporting the band and not hot dogging it. It wasn't long before I was pointed at to solo with my layered bigband registrations.

You are probably younger, but the guys in my band are 10-15 years older than I am(66). Through my association with the band, I have picked up many leads for solo work, also.

Just a thought
Bernie

#227783 - 02/25/08 05:43 AM Re: For people in bands
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I too am lost regarding the Shoegaze style. But my first question is - how old are you? I think it would be easier for a younger inexperienced person to find a band than an older person. MY first bands were mainly formed with friends and friends of friends, but that was back in the 60s when bands were expected to be bad and inexperienced. We all kind of grew and improved our skills together.

Today I might suggest that you check the bulletin boards of your local music shops, especially those where people of similar musical tastes frequent. Also, check your local craigslist or google your area for musicians wanted.

Experience is definitely preferred, but you have to start somewhere. I suggest that you continue to practice your chops, especially getting familiar with chords and signature fills of as many songs in your genre as possible. Practice playing along with songs and try to play what you feel would be your part in the band. Most importantly, learn key signatures, chord progressions, the circle of fifths and fourths and LISTEN.

You may not catch on with the first band you try, but keep at it. Every experience will make you better. As I look back, my skills improved by playing for an audience. They demanded that I get better and better. Even to this day I find little things that make my playing better and I say to myself 'why didn't I know this before.' This is a life-long learning journey, so take the plunge and make your mistakes. Good luck in your endeavor.

------------------
Cass www.cassponline.com/

#227784 - 02/25/08 06:14 AM Re: For people in bands
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Here's Wikipedia's description of "shoegaze"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoegazing

Ian

#227785 - 02/25/08 06:40 AM Re: For people in bands
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Thanks Ian.
I can't seem to get the Shoegaze thing down. All I see is my keyboard.
Eddie

#227786 - 02/26/08 06:50 AM Re: For people in bands
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Right on, Eddie. The only time I see my shoes is when I put them on. If I try to gaze at them I risk toppling over - lol.

#227787 - 02/26/08 07:28 AM Re: For people in bands
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Wow! Hadn't heard the term "shoegaze" since my 40-year-old son turned 20 and played with a "grunge" band. The music, if you want to call it that, was quite similar, very loud, lots of wild, distorted guitar runs and the vocals consisted of screaming obscenities to the mic with a demonic sounding voice. After a year of playing grunge, producing a couple albums, he cleaned up his act, married a young, beautiful gal, bought a house, and now plays on rare occasions when some of his old band buddies drop by for a cold one. I still have his albums, but they've only been played once--can't stand the music!

Good Luck on putting a band together,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#227788 - 02/26/08 09:37 AM Re: For people in bands
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I tried shoegazing, but I can't seem to see past my waistline

#227789 - 02/26/08 09:53 AM Re: For people in bands
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Diki,

I used to have the same problem, then discover the South Beach Diet--that was more than 2 years ago. Lost 55 pounds in just 5 months, got to see my shoes again, get oogled at by attractive, relatively young ladies and all my old clothes now fit just fine. Give it a try--the only thing you can loose is pounds and inches.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online