SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#227800 - 02/27/08 12:05 PM Re: For people in bands
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I think we're talking to ourselves guys, this young man posted two questions and probably hasn't even checked back for answers. If he has, he hasn't replied.
DonM

#227801 - 02/27/08 12:09 PM Re: For people in bands
Dnj Offline

Diki enjoy what you do.....you found your niche.....I'm happy for ya ...
I had my turn with the best also.....but ain't gonna push what I do now on anyone...I'm very happy & that's ALL that matters.

If you wanna be the biggest dumbass around that's your decision or your delusion...
I for one appreciate your input as strange as that may seem to you......so dont sell yourself short....maybe some day we'll laugh about all this over a brew

#227802 - 02/27/08 12:21 PM Re: For people in bands
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
I'm looking forward to that drink, Donny.

We can say all the WORDS we want to, here, but that doesn't stop us from being brothers in arms when you get right down to it

You make it down this way, be sure to look me up. We could play arrangers together, then go jam with a great band or two (after hanging out on the beach all day!).

I've got a sneaky feeling which one you'll enjoy the best

#227803 - 02/27/08 12:28 PM Re: For people in bands
Dnj Offline

For sure....I'll enjoy it...it will bring back memories that I will always remember & have certainly taught me & brought me to where I am musically today because of those great band experiences....also remember it was a very different time socially, musically & technologically ....but the progression from then to now is what molds the foundation & makes you a better musician....this is what many people just starting out are not offered because of the way the world is today in music....its like building a house without a basement but on a cement slab.....its no body's fault its just the way it is out there...as good as technology is ....is as bad as it is if your think back a bit.

Btw that beer sounds good ...ya never know

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-27-2008).]

#227804 - 02/27/08 01:46 PM Re: For people in bands
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
I was 16 years old in 1948 and no band would let me in on piano but only on trumpet. I didn't want to play trumpet any more so I started a band, with 4 other guys and their GIRLFRIENDS that were all sophmores in Highschool. The music store we traded at had just moved into a bigger store and they gave us the use of that building providing we let their nephew be part of the band. We made him the librarian the girlfriends were the most important part. they furnished the building, made stuff to eat, got us some jobs, and so forth.
We wrote our own orchastrations, practiced continuosly and talked to everyone. we got more and more jobs as time went along. When school was over so was the band but we all kept on keeping on. Life is like that, so go for it. the memories will remain as some of the best part of your young life.
Bebop

#227805 - 02/28/08 12:13 AM Re: For people in bands
bibi00 Offline

Thanks your all your comments.

I really don't expect to be successful or anything, just to have fun and be able to share my passion through playing with others is fine. I guess my problem is that I only have a digital piano that is like unmovable (heavy) and an acoustic guitar( which i fingerpick/strum chords on, can't do much complex stuff) so I can't really contribute much if i'm in a band and need to bring an instrument to practice. I'm thinking of getting some sort of synth - arranger, workstation...but i don't really know the difference. What should i get if i want a lot of preset sounds that can be changed, create new sounds and can make my customized drum loops and fills/change between loops easily? What i want is a synth that can be played with a band as background (eg. using synth pads) harmony and also provide drum beats (and maybe even playing bass guitar parts in left hand).

Also, does it take long to learn the basic functions of a synth (like creating drum loops, tweaking sound effects)? I can pretty much self discover the functions of the synththrough trial and error right? My digital piano has some basic functions like layering, bending, modulation, reverb, and preset drum loops with intro,ending,fill-ins. I would expect a synth to have way more functions than that, but i don't know how much learning will be required.

Thanks

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online