SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#227719 - 02/24/08 06:18 AM SD-5 factory reset
zuki Offline

I cannot find in the lame manual how to do a reset. Everyone talks about the great sounds and styles of the SD-5. Anyone who would hear mine would agree with me that it has thin guitars, weak pianos and horns and excessive fx to mask the deficiencies. The styles are lousy. The unplugged have TERRIBLE glitches in them and are bodiless too. Everthing sounds extremely hollow through the onboard speakers.

PLEASE don't tell me I need to spend time with it - I know awesome from very good and then the rest - this is the bottom of the rest

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#227720 - 02/24/08 07:15 AM Re: SD-5 factory reset
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I had the SD5 for about a year, I ended up getting a SD1+.

I have always loved the Ketron Styles, especially the sd1 series styles. It did take some work to get the SD5 to were I like it, I ended up adding about a half a dozen SD1 styles to the SD5.

Also I found that using the Program sounds rather than the preset sounds do add a little more umph.

You really can't compare a Ketron to a Korg or Yamaha, they are different animals.

I use my Pa800 for recording and for gigs that are more ballroom/resteraunt type were the nuance of play can be heard and appreciated.

The Ketron is used for more of the big dinner dances, and weddins, for some reason the Ketron can fill the room better with it's sound, probably a combinantion of the excessive fx and more of an analog/record type sound rather than the more polished CD purity of the yamaha/korg.

I love both and hate both.

If we could use a combinination of Ketron, yamaha, korg styles , op systems, and sounds, we could have a amazing system

#227721 - 02/24/08 10:27 AM Re: SD-5 factory reset
zuki Offline

Please someone answer my question. This thing is NOT RIGHT - believe me....no amount of work can make this thing sound good - it is that terrible.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#227722 - 02/24/08 10:45 AM Re: SD-5 factory reset
frankieve Offline

I wouldn't say its broke or wrong, just different. It's not a SD1, it's a scaled down version with speakers. It's not everyone's choice, but it still sounds good. you don't have the "Mega" voices and such but the styles are still very good and musical.

I'm not defending the SD5 because everyone has there own preferences.

#227723 - 02/24/08 10:58 AM Re: SD-5 factory reset
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Frank and Zuki, I think you are both correct.
Here in my store, most folks think just like the two of you. Ketron has tried to duplicate the type of Mega or RX voices used in Korg and Yamaha keyboards by adding squeeks and fret noise on the guitars. Unfortunately, they don't use velocity to add and swtich the different elements but rather sample secific "noises" on lower or upper octave notes. By doing this, they are able to create pretty good guitar patches within a style but to just play the sounds, there is much lacking.
Also, there are so many fewer styles, especially in the Big Band and Jazz catagory compared to the SD1+ and when you load the extra SD1 styles into the pattern memory, the sounds just don't sound the same, because many of them are different or just missing.
So it leads me to say the same thing I told the owners of Ketron over two years ago when they were demonstrating this keyboard at the NAMM show. "Price it at the Yamaha PSR3000 price range or don't expect to sell very many here in the USA". They didn't listen to me!
As for a factory reset. You can only push the button "save/enter", go to power on setup and select "default" to put all the factory settings back to "out of the box", but you can only do a style default to put the factory sounds back to their originals.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com
(Retired 2021)

#227724 - 02/24/08 11:42 AM Re: SD-5 factory reset
frankieve Offline

Well said George.

Ketron made a benchmark with the SD1, and I think they have waited long enough and hopefully the Audya will do what the SD1 accomplished

#227725 - 02/24/08 03:03 PM Re: SD-5 factory reset
zuki Offline

George,

Thank you for this information. Sorry everyone for the sour grapes, but I would NEVER buy or recommend a Ketron product, based on this bad experience. I was foolish to part with the 800.

This is my 2nd stupid mistake these past several months - conned twice.

zuki

#227726 - 02/24/08 03:08 PM Re: SD-5 factory reset
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
but it still sounds good. you don't have the "Mega" voices and such but the styles are still very good and musical.

I'm not defending the SD5 because everyone has there own preferences.

To say this things sounds good is a real stretch. I know good from bad and this is BAD, very BAD. I can appreciate a board not having Mega or other sounds, but come on, this is pitiful, both sounds and styles. I still maintain that something is wrong, not different, but wrong..believe me. Hopefully the reset will help, if not, I might just give it away.

zuki

#227727 - 02/24/08 03:38 PM Re: SD-5 factory reset
frankieve Offline

Well if your giving it away, I'll take it.

If your interested in a PA800 let me know, I have one that a customer never picked up.

Email me for the pricing

Frankieve@snet.net

#227728 - 02/24/08 05:29 PM Re: SD-5 factory reset
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Zuki, relax and take a deep breath...
I have never heard a "bad" sounding Solton /Ketron product..going back to the mid 80's...

Something is definitely wrong here....Do the factory reset..( should have been the first thing you did after opening the box)..

Maybe somebody is really toying with you..and has things messed up..

There are a lot of things with Ketron keyboards that I do not care for..but, sounds are not one of them..

Let us know if the factory reset helped..If not we will pray for you..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online