SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#226822 - 02/17/08 02:45 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Cubase CAN do this, and I think you'll find the old Cubase VST (that you have for Win95, or whatever) will do this. For certain, VST5 has it, and I've been on Cubase since the Atari days. I am 'fairly' sure the older versions had this command.

Changing length by a percentage is not the way to do this, each pedal on/off is most likely to be different. If your current sequencer can't do this, is there a piano-roll screen that can show you notes AND the CC64 commands at the same time? If so, you grab ALL the notes that are sounding when the CC64=127, and then drag their endpoints to the point where the CC64=0 is. Again, Cubase has a modifier to the pencil tool that will make all selected notes stop at the pencil point. Drag that to the CC64=0 and on to the next.

I am sorry I can't confirm any other sequencer (I've been a Cubase addict since it first came out), but I would be surprised if most modern ones DIDN'T have the command. Although bargain sequencers like PowerTracks are OK up to a certain point, there comes a time when you want to do more sophisticated editing, and Cubase is what you REALLY need.

As you are on an older computer, VST5 should be perfect for you (and is, IMO, better at MIDI than later versions!). Want to average the levels of all the snare backbeats, while leaving the rest of the snare notes alone? Cubase can do this. Want to convert all CC7 (volume) commands into CC11 (expression), and scale them to be less extreme? Cubase can do this. Want to take all Cowbell hits LESS than vel=64, even them out and bring them up WITHOUT touching the higher velocities? You get the picture...

Editing styles is about as demanding on a sequencer as anything I've done. Don't hobble yourself by trying to do it on a bargain sequencer...

#226823 - 02/17/08 03:01 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
I can't help but wonder how much better the world (well, at least, this board) would be if the rest of us could master your social skills. Props. Seriously.

chas

I agree - what a wonderful lady

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#226824 - 02/17/08 04:17 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
"indisputabley better" ??? And that's a Fact? No roon for bias or preference?
Sheesh ... who ARE you?
Of course it's subjective.

UD,

What I was saying is that in my subjective view, it is not subjective ...

In other words: to me, the Korg sax to Yamaha sax is like comparing a Dihatsu to a Jaguar - you're free to prefer the Dihatsu but I don't get it... (Switch the example around for Yamaha's pianos, bass and drums.)

That said, I hold most everybody here at the SZ in high esteem, no matter whether they agree with me or not, and enjoyed the debate in this thread.

PS: I notice that a lot of people take offense when people write like I did, and I've noticed others posting a disclaimer saying "this is only my view and others have a right to disagree" when posting what they feel might be controversial.

I guess the reason for this is to prevent some of the immature fighting that goes on here at the SZ from time to time. But as adults we should be able to have these kinds of conversations without anybody getting offended by someone saying that "my keyboard is the best, and nobody can disagree"!

#226825 - 02/17/08 05:05 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think a lot of bad blood happens on this forum when one person's strongly help OPINION is mistaken for FACT... Either by the poster, OR the reader (or both)!

But, in all fairness, we're adults here (mostly ). We should have the sense to realize that everything posted here is an opinion. Heck, even posted manufacturer specs are often 'fluffed' by the marketing division to the point that all they are is 'opinion' too!

What matters most is an ability to explain your 'opinion'. Simply stating it (as if it were simply a fact) is of little value to any reader. This thread has a good example of opinion (about the 'realism' of the sax samples of Korg vs. Yamaha) that some don't explain, and some do. I don't, in a fairness, have much interest in anyone's opinion, if that is all there is. What I want to read about is HOW you come to that conclusion... The process of explaining it is FAR more interesting than the simple FACT (OK, opinion ).

I don't mind contrary opinions at all (just don't expect me to agree all the time!), I just hate it when they come without reason and explanation...

"I like Yamaha". "I like Korg". "I like Roland"... BORING

Tell me WHY.....

#226826 - 02/18/08 01:19 AM Re: Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi diki,
thank you for the info.
I still have an old win98 laptop with a serial port, so I may just go thru my software & try & resurrect my old cubase.
I'm fairly certain it's the one I used to run it on.

best wishes
rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Diki:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#226827 - 02/18/08 08:24 AM Re: Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
Dnj Offline

One thing I do enjoy on the S900 vs the PA800 is that when you push and ending while using the multipads the songs ends as prescribed......vs the PA800 although it has better Pads they dont "Sync" at songs end properly and continue to play for one more measure or so & that's not good & needs to be fixed.

#226828 - 02/18/08 12:42 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
One thing I do enjoy on the S900 vs the PA800 is that when you push and ending while using the multipads the songs ends as prescribed......vs the PA800 although it has better Pads they dont "Sync" at songs end properly and continue to play for one more measure or so & that's not good & needs to be fixed.

That's true on the PA1x Pro as well, and yes, it does need to be fixed.

chas

#226829 - 02/18/08 12:49 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
Dnj Offline

You always have to remember to hit the PAD stop while the ending is playing or its will play an extra measure....UNACCEPTABLE!!
maybe in future Os updates..I cant believe that Korg Design engineers overlooked this...& other things also before releasing it.

#226830 - 02/18/08 02:35 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Chas & Zuki,
you'll give me a swollen head, & my halo won't fit any longer haahaa.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Rikki, I know it's going to sound sexist, but it's got to be a gender thing (as in, the absense of testosterone). I can't help but wonder how much better the world (well, at least, this board) would be if the rest of us could master your social skills. Props. Seriously.

chas

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#226831 - 02/18/08 04:16 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Cubase CAN do this ...

I'm a Cubase addict too. I'm a power user of C4 for the Intel Mac, but I'm not sure I can find how to do as you've described. For some reason after VST, Steinberg omitted certain minor features in the new SX series.

Good to meet another Tyros 2 / Cubase user!

Page 8 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online