SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#226792 - 02/13/08 11:46 AM Re: Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sorry, Spalding... I have sadly figured out that, if you don't explain it in detail, they keep spouting the same old sh*t...

#226793 - 02/13/08 01:00 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Question, why if you put a Real Saxophone with a Real Player side by side with a Korg PA800 and a Yamaha T2 with professional players and listen and compare all 3, (And everybody that has done this comparison comes to the same conclusion) the T2 SA sounds Impressive but the PA800 sounds more like the real instrument, as if what you say is true then the T2 SA should wins hands down, but in actual fact always comes in 2nd.
Curious

Bill

(Remember the only way to test how good a sound is emulated, is to compare it with a Real Instrument)

#226794 - 02/13/08 01:40 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
Diki Offline

Which sax player, playing what? Which arranger player, playing what? So much has to do with the player, when it comes to horn emulation, that anything but the best player head to head with the best saxophonist (LOTS of room for argument there!) and I bet you STILL get as many different opinions as listeners.

I have auditioned every arranger out there, play horn myself (only T'bone, though) but have played with some of the best sax players in the world. I am sorry, but I haven't heard ANYTHING posted from any manufacturer that beats the SA sax for realism. Sure, play ONE NOTE, and some will sound fuller, fatter, breathier, whatever (each individual sax player has as much difference too, though!). But, when it comes to solo sax (let's not get confused with sax section sounds), as soon as you play a phrase, it is immediately obvious that everything but the SA sax is a synth.

Horn players DO NOT tongue every note. That is a fact. Every arranger's sax except the SA sax tongues every single note. That is a fact.

Please, Bill, point me to what you think is the best posted Korg sax solo demo you can. Then listen to the SA sax demo at Yamaha. Tell me what sounds 'real'.

IMO, it doesn't matter if it SOUNDS like a real sax player playing a real note. It matters if it sounds like a real sax player playing a real phrase.

#226795 - 02/13/08 02:20 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
i listen again to the demos from yamaha's site. very closely.
while it sounds as it's suppose to be a realistic emulation of a real sax, somehow it failed to really, completely give me this feeling. now, maybe i expected too much, but i realize once more that what makes it special is the WAY they can be played, not so much the sounds samples, which are bellow korg's. just my oppinion. i would rather have korg's sounds than yamaha's technology.

#226796 - 02/13/08 03:12 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
I love Korg. Hell i own one of the bestKorg arrangers made todate ! But i dont care how good a demonstrator you are , you cant make the korg sax phrase like a real sax or a korg guitar phrase like a real guitar. On the Yamaha through SA technology you can. Thats just a fact. Not just my opinion. Try to play a series of notes on a korg sax without it it soumnding like separately blown notes...or hammreing the strings on a guitar fretboard using the korg guitar. Its impossible not because of the limitation of the musician but purely the limitation in the technology.

I will bow out of this one because as much as i love Korg i know that in terms of individual categories of instruments yamaha have them and in my opinion all the other major manufacturers beat hands down.

#226797 - 02/13/08 03:37 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Diki
I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one, as I have heard them all live (As have many others) and the PA800 easily matches, and in many cases betters the T2 SA voices.
BTW I have not heard any online demos from any manufacture that sound as good as the boards played live.

Spalding
Going from the old RX technology to the New RX technology is like going from SD to HD TV, the more you use it the more you realise what you’re missing on SD.
As to whether the extra cost is worth the extra performance, only the individual can decide.

Bill

#226798 - 02/13/08 04:42 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
This post, like all the similar posts before it, proves one thing and one thing only; IT'S ALL SUBJECTIVE.

chas

#226799 - 02/13/08 04:44 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
Diki Offline

Bill... Wow! You must be hanging with some amazing players! Shame none of them post, anywhere!

Because I have yet to hear a user demo of even the T2 SA sax that matches the demo, yet alone exceeds it...

The manufacturers ought to hire these guys if they are THAT good...

#226800 - 02/13/08 05:59 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
For me.. It's easy. I'm happy with mine. OK... I'd have liked better analog / digital synth type sounds an scapes but it isn't an analog or modeling synth ( my favorite toys ).

I recognized long before I considered the T2 that for my personal tastes, of the major manufacturers Yamaha has pretty much always had my least favorite of these type sounds in their digital machines ( their analogs are a completely different story ). Therefore I was not disappointed because I knew what I was getting.

Wow factor for me on any future boards ( from any manufacturer ) goes something like this:

If anyone comes out with an arranger that allows me to radically alter individual style elements in real time.... like algorithims ala Karma, or allows the user to control the diversity of style elements perhaps similar in the functionality of Jamstix and virtual bassist to name a few, and can get these under one hood without me having to import ton of samples.. I'll then say "wow" !!!.

'Til then, for my arranger needs the T2 is fine for me the way it is and for the real diverse stuff my PC continues to carry the ball.

AJ

#226801 - 02/13/08 08:13 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
After a couple margarettas I decided to read this post all the way through to the end--I wasted two good drinks and 10 minutes of time. The topic should have said "How to create another pissin' contest!" Fortunately, I read DomM's post, which was much more informative and unbiased.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online