SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#226752 - 02/11/08 01:39 PM Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
chony Offline

Loc: New York
There was recently a thread about a questionnaire Yamaha was circulating as to feature updates on the Tyros 2.

I think that a lot of people answering these surveys get caught up in the details and forget about the bigger picture.

For example: I think that the single most important update needed on the T2, is better bass and drum samples. Most people don't tend to directly use these instruments very often, so requests for them are often forgotten. But every single Yamaha style consists of these two instruments, and yet they are from the poorest samples available in the professional market. Even though Yamaha hands-down beats its competition in nearly all other sounds, for some reason, they ignore their bass and drums. For a one man band, especially for one working on a dance floor, drums and bass are more important than a good brass and sax.

I am therefore in a great dilemma. I don't want to give up my Yamaha solo instruments, but on the other hand, I need a better overall sound and am seriously looking to Korg. I could use both, but honestly what's the point in the schlepping two keyboards everywhere?

Second thing: Many of us use our keyboards as power tools. I heavily rely on the Style creation functions to make my styles. (I play mostly ethnic music and pretty much everything I use is custom made). However the options for doing these kinds of things are really backward. Oftentimes, I have to go through up to twenty steps to do what other keyboards can do in one. Thank G-d for people like Jorgen Sorensen, who make quality programs to do these things properly.

Just my rantings,
Chony

#226753 - 02/11/08 01:49 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
Dnj Offline

Sounds like KORG is the way to go for you...regarding editing styles which is one of the best & you can do so much with it to create custom styles anyway ypou desire & beyond.

#226754 - 02/11/08 02:12 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
What amazes me is that Yamaha put a pretty decent sampler into the T2 (but unfortunately make it proprietary, so you can't load in Akai format, the most common multi-sample format), but absolutely suck at releasing titles for it that people need. You would think a 64MB, ballsy multi-velocity modern drum kit would be a no-brainer for T2 users that want more realistic drums. But do Yamaha make one (or three!)? A fat bass library... does one exist?

If it could import Akai, no problem (there's a heap of them available). But Yamaha's own proprietary format is probably the LEAST well served in quality and choice. But this will only improve if owners scream long and loud for this stuff. However, I doubt whether 5% of T2 owners have EVER used the sampler (half probably don't know it's got one!). It IS the solution to the problem, but involves either doing a boat-load of work yourself (to roll your own drumkits and translate them from other formats), or making a boat-load of noise at Yamaha to get this import problem fixed.

Proprietary formats are only as good as how well they are supported. Time for Yamaha to either come out with a LOT of new sounds in it, or open it up, finally...

#226755 - 02/11/08 02:41 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
coca Offline

Hi,

Yamaha should take a look a Ketron product. I recently purchased a used Ketron XD-9. I have to admit that no other manufacture can beat the Ketron live Drum and Bass. The bass is sound so good.

I also wish manufacture create style that have 10 intros, 10 fills and 10 endings. This way, we can have many styles within style.

coca

#226756 - 02/11/08 02:59 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
The big issue for me with the Tyros 2 is that it has a Professional Level price but not professional level features! Here is what is needed to make it a professional level board:

* 76 keys
* TC-Helicon Vocal Harmonizer
* Dedicated Sliders for Style Parts/Drawbars, etc.
* Dual XLR microphone Jacks w/Phantom Power
* Dual MP3/Audio Players with Pitch/speed correction.
* A new Musicfinder that stores ALL the keyboard settings including Transpose, effects, volume, EQ, Style, Lyrics, Text, etc..
* Dedicated SPLIT key
* Manual Bass
* Riff Key
* Better Style creation
* Extract Style from MIDI File function.
* Button for Left Hand Voice Freeze (so it doesn't change when variation changes)
and more....

------------------
Al Giordano
http://www.arrangerworld.com

Tyros 2, Yamaha P-250, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums, Roland SPD-S.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#226757 - 02/11/08 03:23 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
The big issue for me with the Tyros 2 is that it has a Professional Level price but not professional level features! Here is what is needed to make it a professional level board:

* 76 keys
* A new Musicfinder that stores ALL the keyboard settings including Transpose, effects, volume, EQ, Style, Lyrics, Text, etc..
* Dedicated SPLIT key
* Manual Bass
* Riff Key
* Better Style creation
* Button for Left Hand Voice Freeze (so it doesn't change when variation changes)
and more....

Al sounds like that's a PA2xPro

#226758 - 02/11/08 03:37 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
Dnj Offline

Al....Nice wish-list of goodies...but I would not expect anything like that in any upcoming Yamaha models which their arrangers are more Home Use Orientated.....I would look at Roland, Korg, & Ketron to first lead the way to implement anything closer to your list & more in years to come.

#226759 - 02/11/08 04:00 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
The next "T what ever"

Will be just about the same , NO built in speakers.

No HD or SSD ( USB Recording ).

Will have EA sounds from the Motif.

You might even see a few surprises , like "Sliders" and "Function" buttons that are user assignable ( think Motif ).

FireWire / HDMI ( maybe ) / USB 2.0

Still not Mac friendly

I was never here...

#226760 - 02/11/08 04:05 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
O ~ 61 push buttons ! ( keys )

#226761 - 02/11/08 06:40 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 2: What's needed to bring it up to par
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Steve, your right! Each one of those options are already in the Pa2!! I guess the only thing from the Yamaha I would want are the Styles and some of those voices.

Pa2 here I come...

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
[b]The big issue for me with the Tyros 2 is that it has a Professional Level price but not professional level features! Here is what is needed to make it a professional level board:

* 76 keys
* Dedicated SPLIT key
* Manual Bass
* Riff Key
* Better Style creation
and more....

Al sounds like that's a PA2xPro

[/B]

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online