SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#226665 - 02/10/08 10:12 AM How do you use the Songbook in the Korg Pa series
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
I used my new Pa2X in church today (sounded wonderful). During the praise and worship time I like to keep the music going between songs so I gradually change the tempo and move to the new key. To do that today I left the main screen showing and set the footswitch to move to the next song. I was then able to select the tempo and use the dial to change tempo.

In the middle of one song I must have accidentally touched the footswitch. Fortunately it was a similar style and tempo, and I was able to recover. However, it scared me. I need to set the footswitch to another less dramatic setting.

Then I'm left with the problem of how to change to the next song quickly and smoothly.

How do you use the songbook? Any tips/ ideas would be much appreciated.

Graham

#226666 - 02/10/08 05:46 PM Re: How do you use the Songbook in the Korg Pa series
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Graham glad to hear you're happy how the Pa2X performed today

Here's what I do with Songbook. I now have about 500 songs stored in it. Depending on the type gig I have created custom songbooks. I use the custom songbooks in the same way you'd use a Yamaha gig disk. While at a gig I keep the screen usually set to the custom songbook list. For the nursing home gigs which I pretty much have a structured format I just move down the list of songs stored in song book by tapping the NEXT while at that screen. I find the transition very smooth and don't find it necessary to use the foot pedal.

Also for slowing tempo down I believe that the button marked #1 of the 2 assignable buttons near the joystick is defaulted to slowing the tempo down. Once your desired tempo is reached just tap the button a 2nd time and you'll maintain that tempo.

#226667 - 02/10/08 05:59 PM Re: How do you use the Songbook in the Korg Pa series
PraiseTheLord Offline

Steve, that's a great tip. I did not know about the second tap maintaining the tempo. That may be the gem I need.

How are you liking the Pa2X? Does it sound different to the PA800?

Thanks

Graham

#226668 - 02/10/08 06:54 PM Re: How do you use the Songbook in the Korg Pa series
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by PraiseTheLord:
Steve, that's a great tip. I did not know about the second tap maintaining the tempo. That may be the gem I need.

How are you liking the Pa2X? Does it sound different to the PA800?

Thanks

Graham

Graham, I absolutely love the PA2xPro,seems to me the that it sounds better than the PA800. Yea, I think maybe it could be a psychological thing, but for some reason it seems to sound better. One thing is for sure having the 76 keys allows you to play it like a piano and that in itself brings the piano voices more alive.

#226669 - 02/10/08 08:25 PM Re: How do you use the Songbook in the Korg Pa series
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Graham
you can also set the other one to accel.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#226670 - 02/11/08 03:07 AM Re: How do you use the Songbook in the Korg Pa series
PraiseTheLord Offline

Sounds like a plan!

#226671 - 02/11/08 06:21 AM Re: How do you use the Songbook in the Korg Pa series
korg4god Offline

Loc: Dodge City, Kansas 67801
On my PA1x I use the songbook very similarly. I set up the songs in songbook by getting the right style, tempo, setting etc. then saving the song under that title in the songbook. I usually save the song in all caps so that my songs stand out from the library of other songs in there. I then have a second list of just songs I've done this way. All my songs are under the "Destiny" list which is the name of the ministry I work for. I have since taken it a step further. I have created a list called "Set list" which I take just the songs I'm doing for the service and place them in order so that I can go from song to song by just touching the "Next" button. This works very smooth and well.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

Dodge City Schools -USD 443
Forte Music School

http://forte.musicteachershelper.com

#226672 - 02/17/08 12:42 PM Re: How do you use the Songbook in the Korg Pa series
PraiseTheLord Offline

Week 2 at church, and I still decided to use the footswitch to move to the next song. Otherwise you cannot see the key screen that shows you tempo, which voices are selected. muted, which STS you are using..... I'm getting pretty comfortable selecting the appropriate STS on the fly and you can set a lot of parameters in each STS, so haven't needed the footswitch for other things (so far).

To me it would be like flying blind, so I decided to stick with the footswitch and keep my size 12s away from it!

I'm really liking the assigned switch for ritardando. In practice I had to get used to pressing it once to start the rit, then again to stop it at the desired tempo. I thought I could just press it and then when I select the next song it would go to the set tempo for that song. Wrong, it keeps slowing down until it reaches the 30 tempo. I think that might be a possible improvement for an OS release.

I'm still using the Tyros2 on gigs but am going to work on converting this week, and make the final switch for my March program.

Graham

Graham

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online