SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#226294 - 02/07/08 08:59 PM Re: My take on the PA800
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Graham,
works pretty much the same as the OTS in the Yammies. I was really pleased when I discovered that also.

If I alter an STS I actually save it as an STS. Some of the other stuff like assigning the fill to a variation, I save as a current performance setting. Also if I change volumes, & tempo's I save as a current performance setting.
Not 100% sure if it's the correct procedure, but it appears to work for me.

I've been so busy messing round with the style editing functions, I haven't even started a songbook yet. I'm not a performer, so there's no rush for me to get a songbook set up. I'll have to think about it sooner or later.

Maybe we need a post for,
I used to do this on the Yammie, how do I do it on the korg?? haahaa.
For all us new converts.

best wishes
rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by PraiseTheLord:
[B]Riiki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#226295 - 02/08/08 03:50 AM Re: My take on the PA800
Spalding 4 Offline

Loc: UK
Hi Rikkisbears . Unfortunately we did not have enough time to examine the inticacies of style creation as that would be an entire DVD series all by itself . The current DVD series already includes a little bit on style creation but not the depth that i think you would benefit from. I cant help you with that one but we are in the process of establishing what things should be included on the 4th DVD. If you would like a section on style creation (and there are enough people who want this feature explained) we can hire another demonstrator to look specifically at this. I am prtetty sure that all the manufacturers use a similar format for NTT's and it may well be that this last DVD could have a section relating to the major common style editing functions. I do a bit of style creation myself but it is really trial and error for me.

Pop over to the Korgforum and add your request to the DVD thread . We will see what we can do.

#226296 - 02/08/08 05:54 AM Re: My take on the PA800
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Thank you Rikki for all these important little tidbits. I’m happy that you’re taking the time to investigate and share the little nuances of the Korg and Ketron boards. Now, If only you would to venture into one of the GEM Genesys keyboards with the same relish ...
Ciao,
Jerry

#226297 - 02/08/08 02:03 PM Re: My take on the PA800
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Rikki, I like the way the single touch button connects the variations with the STS! It really helps on a piece I am working on for Church on Sunday.

Unfortunately it looks like it's a global setting only and I cannot store it in a songbook entry. Maybe I'll remember it as I get more familiar with the keyboard.

I'll ask the question on the Korg forum.

Graham

#226298 - 02/08/08 03:23 PM Re: My take on the PA800
rikkisbears Offline

Thank you Spalding,
I thought it might be a difficult one to cover.

I think I have actually worked out how most of the transposition tables work. I think the parallel, i series table will give me exactly what I want in that I can use a maj7th chord track instead of maybe having to do tracks for maj,min,&7th chords for variations & fills.
I have used it when I converted a couple of my psr styles & it worked, but unlike with BIAB styles I didn't end up notes that didn't belong to my maj7 chord.

May just have to keep doing trial & error also. Put the maj7 9th chord thru as a maj7 & see how it affects the transposition.

Maybe if I'm not musical enough to hear if it's off, the members I share with may be kind enough to tell me. haahaa.

I did read something about a 4th DVD, I may just do that.

Thank you.
best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Spalding 4:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#226299 - 02/08/08 04:32 PM Re: My take on the PA800
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Graham,
not quite sure I understand.

To have the single touch settings change with the variations, all you need to do is press the the Style Touch Button & make sure it keeps flashing
Or are you then coming up with incorrect melody sounds for your song?

If so, choose sounds for each of the sts's & save
ie

just say you've got your style, sts1, vari1 you change from organ to piano etc etc
you have to write ( save) sts1. Then you do vari 2 sts 2 change your sounds & save to sts 2. etc

If you could elaborate a bit more, as I said I'm not quite sure of what the problem is.

best wishes
Rikki

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#226300 - 02/08/08 04:42 PM Re: My take on the PA800
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Jerry,
I nearly did. Then along came the PA800, and I just luv it.
My other 2 keyboards are paling into insignifigence. haahaa.
best wishes
Rikki

By the way, did you get the Midjay? I had a look thru my old Roland styles to see if I could find the 2 you mentioned to give me a rough idea.. Unfortunately , no, I think I've lost quite a few over the years due to corrupted floppy disks..

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry T:
Now, If only you would to venture into one of the GEM Genesys keyboards with the same relish ...
Ciao,
Jerry

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#226301 - 02/08/08 04:56 PM Re: My take on the PA800
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Rikki, My understanding of what Graham is explaining ( I have the same problem ) is this:

Songbook remembers all your settings i.e. key changes, intros and other parameters you choose. What it doesn't seem to remember is that when saving your Songbook setting for a particular song style cannot choose and save to Songbook the option of having Single Touch Button staying on or off depending how it was set when you saved to Songbook. As Graham said it seems to be a global setting. As a result you have to manually tap the STS button to turn it on or off the flashing red light, rather than it being remembered by Songbook.

[This message has been edited by Stephenm52 (edited 02-08-2008).]

#226302 - 02/08/08 05:33 PM Re: My take on the PA800
Dnj Offline

Id like to chime in here if I may ....
what you have to do If I remember my Pa800 days is lets say you want a Piano to be the default sound that will be ready to play when you choose a song book song.....the songbook always starts with STS #1....it will not if Im correct? be able to choose lets say #3 as the starting STS....so you have to make sure that #1 STS is the sound you want to start the song with or else you gonna have to choose the STS sound once the styles starts, or after the intro.........am I making any sense?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-08-2008).]

#226303 - 02/08/08 06:29 PM Re: My take on the PA800
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Rikki,
I did get the Midjay. AJ just helped me activate the channels I needed to use my controller and midi accordions. I've been using the PA-800 for about a year and the current discourse seems to tell me that I have a lot to learn about the PA-800. Next week, I will attempt to edit some of the files I need as well as making registrations for the Midjay. I was hoping that I could use the sequences and edited files that I made in the PA800 and The Genesys XP, and have stored in my PC, via copy and paste. But each manufacturer interprets the so called 'standard' midi signal differently (called proprietary something or another). So, back to the grind. I hope the Midjay OS is a little easier to learn then the Genesys XP OS ... I don't know how Donny does it ...
Ciao,
Jerry

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online