Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#225659 - 01/31/08 08:16 AM Re: Stupid stereo question
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
The Yamahas I've played with the Bose L1 most definitely sound better to me when sends from the left and right outputs are used, rather than using a single mono cable. Couldn't tell much difference with Ketron, Roland or Korg.
DonM

Don,

I've had several clients with 3K and S900 that tried Bose L1 and complained about the Live! Grand Piano being "thin".

Not sure if they used two cables to provide left and right...probably not.

Thanks for the tip...I'll pass it on.

Ian

#225660 - 01/31/08 09:09 AM Re: Stupid stereo question
Dnj Offline

Its a simple test.....

Plug Two in L/R....Listen.......

Take one out Listen

no more mystery regarding fullness.....

as far as Phase, or Thin Piano sounds or any others that's a whole different story of Stereo vs Mono etc.

#225661 - 01/31/08 02:29 PM Re: Stupid stereo question
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
There is one VERY important point when doing the 'one cable, two cables' thing...

Humans have remarkably different experiences of exactly the same sound when it it at surprisingly little different volume. You may not even consciously notice a volume difference, but even as little as .5db (or less!) can change your perception of a sound.

Two cables into two channels gives you an increase in gain, unless you are clinical in making sure the final output compares IDENTICALLY to the 'one cable, one channel' attempt. And sadly, few mixer's output meters provide that resolution.

As the trend towards louder and louder CD's over the last few years have shown us, even the record companies are aware of the 'louder just sounds better' factor. When you mix, master, or just gain stage your rigs, you have to be VERY aware of this phenomenon.

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 01-31-2008).]

#225662 - 01/31/08 09:14 PM Re: Stupid stereo question
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Cassp

I'm glad to hear you're liking and getting along so well with your new E60. The reasons you like it are tempting.

I'm curious as to your comparison between the PSR3000 and the E60, minus the number of keys of course.

Scott

#225663 - 02/01/08 06:54 AM Re: Stupid stereo question
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I'm not sure how the mono output of the E60 is configured. However, with the PSR and T1 series of keyboard, Yamaha's mono output is not a true combined, or summed mono. Instead, it's a psuedo mono that seems to loose some of the information from the unused channel. All it takes is one glance at the wiring diagram and you can see how the keyboard's output is routed when using mono V/S stero. When fired through two separate inputs, the difference in Yamaha's sound quality is substantial.

Good luck with the E60--it's a good keyboard.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online