SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#225562 - 01/30/08 04:47 PM Re: Posting music - Who, When, Why, and Where
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I think that perhaps a certain amount of posting is necessary to deflate the 'stubs' being waved (none of the 'dick-wavers' got much to wave, IMO), or at least deflect the attention back on topic.

First of all, there is TONS of music posted here (mostly YouTube clips) that are NOTHING to do with arrangers, by those very stub-wavers. So I wouldn't worry about relevance. I would VERY much like to hear Capt. Russ, chas, any of our 'silent' members' stuff, not out of a need for something to pick apart, but out of a need for community. Talking about music is like dancing about physics... It's not the right medium for exchanging the heart of the topic. Without an audio reference, how do you KNOW if you are being bullsh*tted or not..?

Take our friend Fran, for instance. Owned a music store. Owns a studio. Plays in bands, OMB, duos, whatever. Has doo-wop stars sit in occasionally, yada, yada, yada. If he never posted his playing, you might actually take him seriously from time to time.

But why are we letting these guys (let's face it, other than Fran and Donny, is there anyone else that you think you would rather NOT let comment on anything you post?) dictate the direction of this forum? The first rule of criticism is you HAVE to respect the critic. Otherwise, it is meaningless. Noise. Less than noise. White noise

Be truthful, chas. If they weren't here, would you feel more inclined to post? Just for fun...? 'If you like him, you're gonna LUV me'? Not as dick-waving, but as soul-sharing?

If so, you do yourself and all of us here a disservice by taking them into account whatsoever. I am already fairly certain you don't regard them as experts in any sense of the word. So why does what any of them say have any bearing on this at all?

All of the greats have recorded covers. No reason we should feel any different. Don't want to post a cover? Post an improv. You also have to remember that, with perhaps a few exceptions, all of us here are keyboard players first, and arranger players second (or third, or not at all!). As such, I'm happy to listen to anything. Hammond, techno, Township Jive, you name it. I am not one of those 'if it ain't done on an arranger, it don't belong here' crowd (from the Duke of URL's posts, I know he feels the same!).

The arranger is the great grandchild of the organ, and many still buy one to recreate that sound (hard as it may be!). I don't feel an organ MP3 would be out of place at all here.

But to restate... If Fran and Donny (sound like a Mormon duo, anyone? ) are the main reason to NOT post, ignore them.

Can't think of WHY to post here? Because we want to hear it! Because you don't suck! Because, if you post it anywhere else, you might as well link to it here (Donny will track you down, anyway)! Because the bar deserves to be raised around here just a bit! Because, if your music is good enough to be heard in public anywhere, why are we so less deserving, here at SZ?!

Otherwise, SZ turns into American Idol, where artists (of all levels!) are judged by self-styled 'experts' with FAR less credibility than the saps they lord it over.

Take back the SZ! Make it ours again!
------------------------------------
(edited for typos only!)

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 01-30-2008).]

#225563 - 01/30/08 05:54 PM Re: Posting music - Who, When, Why, and Where
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Because, if your music is good enough to be heard in public anywhere, why are we so less deserving, here at SZ?!

... good point ...
t.

#225564 - 01/30/08 08:16 PM Re: Posting music - Who, When, Why, and Where
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Diki, go back and read the first three sentences of the my opening post on this thread. Trying to use pop psychology on me tells me what you think of my intellect (as say, compared to yours). How does this separate you from Fran and Donny? BTW, that goes for Tony as well. Seems he hasn't given up either. I'm not going to respond to any more attempts to trick, cajole, bait, shame, push, me into doing something I don't care to do. As far as being a comfortable place to post music, have you already forgotten what you just did to Fran. It's not that he didn't deserve it, but it's contrary to what you're saying now. If not posting music means that I should not comment on gear that I own or on random Youtube clips, then so be it. It's starting to seem like getting me to post my music has become some kind of cause celebre. Cease and desist, please.

chas

#225565 - 01/30/08 11:05 PM Re: Posting music - Who, When, Why, and Where
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
1)All it does is restart the old defensive stand of "you haven't posted your music so you have no say".

2)You can get away with much more playing in a retirement home then you would playing in a jazz club. Just check out the audience.

3)Isn't it that those who post expect praise and nothing but praise? (see 1)

Taike

#225566 - 01/30/08 11:56 PM Re: Posting music - Who, When, Why, and Where
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Taike:
(2)You can get away with much more playing in a retirement home then you would playing in a jazz club.
Just check out the audience.
Taike

Yeah right thats because everyone is all Potted & coked up & drugged out ......

These Retired Active Adults, or the 55+ crowd who have lived thru the best times for music that ever was & will ever be......
They Heard & Danced to the Best Big Bands & Artists in the world.
Anybody that's thinks they don't know anything about music? Your very mistaken!

#225567 - 01/31/08 05:19 AM Re: Posting music - Who, When, Why, and Where
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
This thread makes me think of the song "What part of no don't you understand"?

Ian

#225568 - 01/31/08 06:21 AM Re: Posting music - Who, When, Why, and Where
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
... BTW, that goes for Tony as well. Seems he hasn't given up either. I'm not going to respond to any more attempts to trick, cajole, bait, shame, push, me into doing something I don't care to do. ...

It's starting to seem like getting me to post my music has become some kind of cause celebre. Cease and desist, please.

chas

chas ... All I said was that Diki made a good point ... For once and for all, I AM NOT trying to "trick, cajole, bait, shame, push" YOU or anyone else into posting their music !!!

t.

#225569 - 01/31/08 08:02 AM Re: Posting music - Who, When, Why, and Where
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Diki, a month or so ago, I guess you missed my post asking you and Chas to evaluate a film score rough I had Don Mason post for me. If you'd like, I'll send you that piece on a disk. You can probably find the original post in mid-December. It was called "captain Russ can really play" or something like that. Ian, Dreamer, "jazz trio Dave", Chico and others were very kind in their reviews.

Would value your input as a player with "cred", in my mind.

Send me your address if you want me to send you a disk.

Thanks,

Russ

#225570 - 01/31/08 08:43 AM Re: Posting music - Who, When, Why, and Where
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Taike is right. I don't do nursing homes regularly because being able to do jazz clubs is personally more of a challenge and more fulfilling. I visit a VA where my father-in-law lives regularly and I am a supporter of a group called Kentuckians For Nursing Home Reform, which lobbies for minimum staffing requirements, cridentials of workers, background checks, etc. Nationally, the level of care at "for profit" facilities is deplorable, and that really bothers me.

This is absolutely no criticism of the talent and dedication it takes to work in nursing homes/assisted living facilities. I donate the proceeds of one gig a week, and, sometimes these are at nursing homes. But, doing those jobs just isn't for me right now.

Russ

#225571 - 01/31/08 01:21 PM Re: Posting music - Who, When, Why, and Where
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Hey door stop..you still spouting....don't let the door knob hit you in the chin....

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online