SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#225431 - 01/29/08 03:23 AM PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
First off, this is a rather long story, but I want to alert others of what could happen if your keyboard needs repair. I also want to thank Gary Diamond, Dick Roberts, Dave Boyd, George Kaye, Larry Warner, and other members for their support, and advise.

OK here goes:

Oct. 31 2007: Dropped off keyboard at local music store, and paid $62 for them to look at it.

Nov 15: Called store for any updates...none

Nov 30: Receive phone call from store, saying the repair is beyond their capability, and will be sent to Yamaha for further evaluation.

Dec 15: Called store for an update...none

Jan 2 2008: Emailed store for an update...no response

Jan 14 3:00 pm : Called Harvey Casey, Yamaha Tech Manager U.S.A.
Explained dilemma with him. He calls music store for more info.

Jan 14 3:10 pm: Receive phone call from Music store...(mmm 10 minutes after Yamaha calls them). They tell me that they were just going to call me before they received Casey's call (yea right) They also tell me the computer in the keyboard is broke, and to replace the motherboard: $800.
I tell them that's crazy, and to forget it.

It's at this time, I decide to give up on the 3000. 10 weeks is frustrating.$800 is more frustrating.

However...

Today, Jan 28: I receive a phone call from someone at Yamaha USA(I'm sorry I didn't get his name, not Casey) and he asked me if I had the paper work for Yamaha. He told me there is no record of any keyboard from me to Yamaha, or from the music store to Yamaha.... In other words, the local music store may have NEVER even sent it to Yamaha.

Further the Yamaha rep told me that the price of a new motherboard does not sound correct. In fact, worse case scenario, that if the motherboard would need to be replaced, it would probably be maybe half that cost, and that many times, motherboards can be repaired at a much more reasonable cost. He also told me, that since the problem occurred while attempting an OS update, that it may not be the motherboard at all, but rather a much less expensive Flash Rom.

Bottom line... I feel the music store has deliberately misled me, in that they claim they sent the repair to Yamaha. They also misled me, that the repair from Yamaha would be $800 for a new motherboard, when if fact, I found out directly from Yamaha today, that it is about half that price, and motherboards can indeed be repaired, AND it's a good possibility, it may not be the motherboard at all!

So while it's too late in the day to call the Music Store (I STILL have not received the keyboard back from them !) Tomorrow, should bring an interesting phone call to find out exactly WHERE they sent the keyboard, and HOW they came up with a price?

I believe they flat out made up a repair price, because of pressure from Yamaha...it's evident... me finally receiving a phone call from the music store, 10 minutes after Yamaha called them. All of a sudden, they know what's wrong, and have a diagnosis?

If I had to do it over again, I would have sent the keyboard directly to Yamaha.
But then again, because this Music store was an official Yamaha dealer, I thought they would do that for me.

I know Yamaha USA, is not the main culprit here, but the Music store has a direct relationship with Yamaha. They (The music store) are an official dealer of Yamaha,and should be trusted with a repair, therefore I feel Yamaha, while being somewhat helpful should bear more responsibility

Now, I now need to make a decision on weather to pay shipment to Yamaha Calif. from here in Pa. and back. That would cost about another $100, plus the $62 for the original payment, plus the cost of repair.
I love this keyboard, and even though I can't afford another, I may just decide to 'FORGET IT'...it's all too frustrating.

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#225432 - 01/29/08 04:39 AM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Larry ... that's too bad ... Have you told Yamaha the whole story? Hopefully they would not be happy with one of their authorized dealers treating a customer so badly ... and maybe you could at least get your $62 back ...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 01-29-2008).]

#225433 - 01/29/08 05:15 AM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
lahawk Offline

Hi Tony,

Yes, I've told as many people that were willing to listen. Yamaha has been fairly supportive, but at this point, I may need to move on, as I'm tired of it all. Enough already...know what I mean?

Thanks for your support, and Go Giants...that from an Eagle fan

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#225434 - 01/29/08 06:14 AM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Larry, I would follow this thru, especially if Yamaha is willing to foot the bill. Not only would I follow it thru, I would push Yamaha to repair this at little or no cost.

Right now, you have the eyes and ears of at least one major source of Yamaha income, SZ, and good or bad PR could make a dent in Yammie sales. I think manufacturers seriously want their customers to be satisfied with their product. See what Yamaha can do for you before hanging up on the 3K.

Once it's fixed you can always sell it to Fran as a door stop.

#225435 - 01/29/08 06:30 AM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
Beakybird Offline

What's the name of the music store? Did you get paperwork? Did you get your keyboard back? Demand money back. Complain to Yamaha and recommend that they have their Yamaha repair/distributorship taken away.

Beakybird

#225436 - 01/29/08 03:28 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
lahawk Offline

Thanks guys, I appreciate the support, and advise.

At this point, I'd rather not name the music store. I did notifiy Yamaha of all the repair details, including the store name.

It turns out the music store is an official Yamaha dealer, but not an official Yamaha repair center.

I've been in contact with Yamaha L.A. and they helped me get an answer from the Music Store, although I'm not satisfied with that answer. Again, where did they get the $800 price from? Why did it take nearly 3 months? If Yamaha has no knowledge of the keyboard being sent to them...where WAS it sent?

The whole situation stinks. 3 months without the keyboard, and then an $800 estimate. What?

Yamaha did offer to repair the keyboard, and is sending me a Return Authorization if I want to persue it. Yamaha also said the repair should be less than the $800 quoted by the Music store. As stated above, worse case would be $400 for a new motherboard. But, and a biggy, I would have to pay shipping, both ways, from Pennsylvania to California. Now the worse case is up to $500.

And No, I still did not get the keyboard back from the Music Store, and I didn't call them today, as I was way to upset to deal with them.

I need a break from this.

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#225437 - 01/29/08 03:50 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Larry,
couldn't agree more whole heartedly.
Take a few days to consider your options.
You don't want to decide while you're feeling upset.

best wishes
rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lahawk:
[B]

The whole situation stinks.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#225438 - 01/29/08 05:07 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Larry what a story that's sorry to hear you were treated that way by the dealer. No way that should have happened especially with a dealer for major brand like Yamaha. Good luck Hmmm, $500 repair, I'd certainly take a few days to think it out.

#225439 - 01/29/08 06:14 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Larry, FWIT, I just sold my 3K for $825. They're not selling for much more.

#225440 - 01/29/08 07:55 PM Re: PSR-3000 Horror Repair Story
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
this was my response to Larry's email to me:
This is really a sad state of affairs and an apparent effort for a big rip off.

I would advise you to forward this to your local Action Line, to Yamaha Corporate in Los Angeles, and to your local Consumer division of your country Prosecutor’s office.

I would then advise these jerks that you intend to file suit in Small Claims court on a day you pick (recommend 30 days out) if you are not reimbursed for your losses if you have any, such as loss of keyboard, gig income, etc.

I would then advise them also that you intend to post this in the Synthzone where it will be read by 16,000 musicians in 68 countries, and that it will be sent out to all 9 of bebop’s email lists.

I would suggest that you only do this in a certified Letter with return receipt.

You may very likely get your total repairs at NO COST by the time you have worked through these suggestions.

Best to you and let me know if and when you want me to Email this to my lists.

You can post it in the bar in the Synthzone and then in the other forums post a notice that it is in the bar and a brief description of what it is and ask people to comment to it in the bar. Then you can cut and past all of that and send it also to Yam and your local flake dealer.
I have now e mailed this per your approval to all my email list members.
I might add that I have owned most all makes of keyboards and equipment and have never had this kind of trouble with any manufacturer.
Larry responded to my reply to him and I replied writing him again as follows:
Usually a piano and/or organ store has an outside technician that does their work. Very few if any stores have a tech on staff.

So If you have such a store in your area find out who does their work and take the keyboard to them and get a firm price or not to exceed.

I would do that even if your town don’t have anyone. send it over to Philly. Ask Fran, Donnie who to use.

I am sending this out on the lists for any other musicians with a similar situation any time in the future. There are other list members in your area too.

Bebop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online