SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#225246 - 01/27/08 01:11 PM OT - Bose PAS Question for Bose PAS Vets
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Help! A friend of mine runs a murder mystery business. Her troupe (5-6 actors) performs in restaurants and clubs for audiences which vary in size from 50 to a max of maybe 175 people. She uses wireless mics for the performers.

She wants to avoid putting a speaker 5' from some diners and blasting them out of the room while at the same time she needs to make sure the folks not so close can hear all the dialog. I suggested the Bose PAS might be a solution.

I steered her to the Bose web site where she saw the photos w/each musician using their own PAS, vice all going through a single unit. That bummed her out, but I think the photos are suggesting that in a large venue for maybe 1,000 people it would be prudent to have each player w/their own system.

So my question to the Bose PAS vets is, for crowds of up to 200 people, will a Bose PAS cut the mustard? I suspect the answer is yes but have no experience with the system

Thanks to all who can shed light on this subject!

Randy

[This message has been edited by saxxman (edited 01-27-2008).]

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#225247 - 01/27/08 01:38 PM Re: OT - Bose PAS Question for Bose PAS Vets
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I played for a Mardi Gras dance last Saturday, with about 300 rabid Catholics raising the roof.
The Bose covered it fine, with lots of volume to spare. It will handle anything she is liable to do, and will be perfect for her needs.
DonM

#225248 - 01/27/08 02:41 PM Re: OT - Bose PAS Question for Bose PAS Vets
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Don - thanks so much! I kinda believed the Bose would do the job. Which keyboard are you using w/it, and I assume you really like the way your board sounds through it?

Do you have the model w/the mixer input?

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#225249 - 01/27/08 03:51 PM Re: OT - Bose PAS Question for Bose PAS Vets
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I agree with Don,

I played plenty of gigs with the PAS system, with my SD1+ my SD5, and my PA800.

Me, a guitar player and singer.

no problem

------------------
www.Audioworksct.com
(888)
374-6076
Korg, Ketron, RCF, Samson, Mackie, Freehand MPP, DB Technologies, Behringer, Audio-Technica

#225250 - 01/27/08 05:06 PM Re: OT - Bose PAS Question for Bose PAS Vets
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The largest venue I've ever performed was a Concert In The Park in Aberdeen, Maryland, an area the size of a couple football fields. I never turned the L1 beyond 1/3 volule and everyone, including those sitting 600 feet away, could hear me just fine. The largest indoor job was for about 500 people and I never turned the volume beyond the 25% level. Anything more and I would have blown the windows out.

I use a Yamaha PSR-3000, do lots of vocals, use a few midi files, and on breaks some MP3s.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#225251 - 01/27/08 11:47 PM Re: OT - Bose PAS Question for Bose PAS Vets
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I currently have PSR S-900. I have also used Tyros 2, Ketron SD1, Korg PA800 and Ketron Midjay through it with great success.
Stand by while a bunch of people tell you it won't sound good. But they will be people who don't own one.
DonM

#225252 - 01/28/08 01:35 PM Re: OT - Bose PAS Question for Bose PAS Vets
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I had pretty much the same experiences as Frank and Gary ... a couple of large outdoor events with a horn man, singer, 3 keyboards. I was concerned that I wouldn't fill the large areas and I used 2 b1 bins. As I was concerned, I turned the volume up to over half and it was very shortly requested that I turn the volume down. As for a large indoor venue experience, I annually work a LULU temple hall that seats 1,000 and the PAS with 1 b1 adequately fills the hall. I would advice that if you intend to feed a half dozen mics via a mixer, be sure that it is a very good one, many of the smaller mixers and brands of lesser quality will produce a lot of unwanted noise, especially with wireless condenser mics.
Ciao,
Jerry

#225253 - 01/28/08 02:13 PM Re: OT - Bose PAS Question for Bose PAS Vets
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
One night a week I do a karaoke show using my T1 tuner with my PAS Classic with one B1. I have three mics,my laptop, a karaoke machine, and my PA800 connected. Everything sounds great, and I have to keep my volume down also.
Bernie

#225254 - 01/28/08 02:14 PM Re: OT - Bose PAS Question for Bose PAS Vets
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Indoors, outdoors, the L1 has done a sterling job for every size crowd I have played, 300 being the largest.

For most jobs I run a PSR 3000, 1 or 2 mics, MP3 player and, sometimes a laptop, into a small Alesis mixer. No problems with anything other than the audio out of the laptop, which can be corrected with an adapter changing the plug from 3 prong to 2 prong.

I highly recommend the L1 to everyone except those who compete with me in my market.

Eddie

#225255 - 01/28/08 07:34 PM Re: OT - Bose PAS Question for Bose PAS Vets
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Well said Eddie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online