SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#225006 - 01/23/08 08:18 AM kurzweil PC2r or GeneralMusic rpx module?
ykc Offline

Loc: Denver, CO USA
I would love a module to use with and enhance my oldie but goodie KN 2000 board. I have a Kurzwel PC2 at home and I love its meat and potatos sounds and am considering the rack version (PC2r). I have seen that GeneralMusic has a new highly touted module, I think it's an RPX "real piano". I am looking primarily for high quality piano, electric piano and organ sounds. The other usual gig sounds (strings, brass, etc...) would be a nice addition but not as critical. Does anyone have any knowlege or experience with either of those two modules? The Kuzweil has the more expansive pallette including the B3 mode from the PC2 as well as more flexible user set ups and from what I see better front panel editing.

Any thoughts?

#225007 - 01/23/08 10:01 AM Re: kurzweil PC2r or GeneralMusic rpx module?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Buy a Ketron SD2 instead ...

#225008 - 01/23/08 11:12 AM Re: kurzweil PC2r or GeneralMusic rpx module?
ykc Offline

I have not heard one yet, but please tell me why you recommend it. I know it's tiny, but what does it really sound like?

#225009 - 01/23/08 11:35 AM Re: kurzweil PC2r or GeneralMusic rpx module?
Dnj Offline

YKC talk to Rikki Bears I think they have been using one of these SD2 units for a while.
http://www.ketron.it/demos/index.asp

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-23-2008).]

#225010 - 01/23/08 11:37 AM Re: kurzweil PC2r or GeneralMusic rpx module?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by ykc:
I have not heard one yet, but please tell me why you recommend it. I know it's tiny, but what does it really sound like?

Absolutely brilliant, and up there with any of the medium to TOTL arranger keyboards (It is essentially an SD5 minus the arranger section and controls)

Bill

#225011 - 01/23/08 11:50 AM Re: kurzweil PC2r or GeneralMusic rpx module?
ykc Offline

I heard some SD2 demos and read some specs. Impressive indeed, though I did not hear solo piano and electric piano demos. How about set ups? Can the module be split and layered? Can you configure and store performance set ups where the master controller plays its own as well as module sounds (eg master kybd bass and then module piano/strings)? What about editing sounds?

#225012 - 01/23/08 03:46 PM Re: kurzweil PC2r or GeneralMusic rpx module?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
You can download the manual from the Ketron site, however please be aware that apart from a volume control, there are no other controls on it at all.
This means that it relies totally on your controller keyboard to do anything.
Hope this helps

Bill

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online