SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#224790 - 01/19/08 07:36 PM OT - Any PayPal Experience w/Refunds?
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Can anyone help me out? I bought a KORG 16 track recording studio via Ebay for Xmas and you guessed it UPS lost the package. I paid for it on 15 Dec via PayPal. The seller got his payment back from UPS yesterday but hasn't reimbursed my money to me. I am hoping some of you have the experience to help me with advice.

First, I'm wondering what the likelihood is that I will get reimbursed by Paypal if the seller won't pay me back?
Second, If Paypal tries to get out of paying me like they did w/Beaky, what will PayPal use as the reason they won't pay me back?
Third, The seller is telling me he can't pay me until the check from UPS clears. Does that sound logical to anyone? I mean, if he has a check from UPS, would the bank require it to clear before he could use the funds?

On the positive side the seller has called me a couple times and told me tonight when I called him that he will pay me next Friday.

On the negative side, the seller went out in the last couple days and made his feedback rating PRIVATE which means no one can see what others have said about him (this also blocks him from selling anything else on Ebay).

Beakybird, I know something like this happened to you but I don't have an email address for you. Thanks again to any who may be able to help me feel better (or worse if that turns out to be the case).

Thanks for any advice you all can give me. I am trying to avoid getting too trigger happy on this but am starting to get that sinking feeling.

Randy

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#224791 - 01/19/08 08:43 PM Re: OT - Any PayPal Experience w/Refunds?
zuki Offline

1. You paid the seller via PayPal? Why did you say UPS paid him?

2. Did the seller provide a tracking #? Was it insured?

3. If you don't get payment back from the seller, you'll have to file a dispute with PayPal and go through that exercise, which can be frustrating.

4. I don't know the ins and outs on what buyer protection you have if he or you is not a "verified" client of PayPal.

Good luck and keep us posted.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#224792 - 01/19/08 08:54 PM Re: OT - Any PayPal Experience w/Refunds?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Have you heard from the seller yet?
Keep all proof emails and such.
I have found paypal refunds to be fairly quick and simple, and their employees very helpful.....as long as you followed all the rules.
I would file a dispute as soon as possible the quicker you get them involved the better.

#224793 - 01/19/08 08:57 PM Re: OT - Any PayPal Experience w/Refunds?
saxxman Offline

Zuki - I paid him via PayPal on 15 Dec. Then he shipped it via UPS on the 17th. It never left the processing facility. I had a tracking number and tracked it but it just never went out of the UPS processing place. So eventually, we exchanged emails and UPS traced it and said it was lost. Since he shipped it, they paid him whatever he had it insured for. So he received his payment from UPS yesterday.

What is bothering me is that he has my money from mid-Dec and now has the payment from UPS which he says must clear before he can pay me. I wouldn't be so worried if he didn't go out on Ebay and change his feedback profile to block folks from seeing his feedback. I makes me think he's preparing to not pay me. I hope that's not the case.

I am not sure if banks will release funds immediately when they receive a check (like one from UPS) or not. My experience is that if you have funds in the bank and you cash a check, you can get the money right away, so I am worried that he had the check yesterday and hasn't paid me back via PayPal yet. But maybe the check has to clear?

I'm just worried that PayPal won't help me. By the way, both I and the recipient (seller) are verified Paypal members. Not sure if that will help.

Thanks again for any who can help me with advice.

Randy

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#224794 - 01/19/08 09:02 PM Re: OT - Any PayPal Experience w/Refunds?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
I actually called paypal once when I was having a problem and they were real helpful and called the guy and "convinced" him to refund the money.

File the dispute tonight, don't wait, and don't cancel it until you have the money in your hand.
Be nice.....but firm!

#224795 - 01/19/08 09:04 PM Re: OT - Any PayPal Experience w/Refunds?
saxxman Offline

Mike, I have been sending all (but maybe 1) emails via the Ebay system (buyer to seller). I have one from him stating he will pay me in full which is filed on the Ebay server.

I have not initiated a dispute yet w/Paypal because I don't want to make him mad at me. I have 45 days from the day I paid him to file a dispute. He says he'll pay me by next Friday. That will leave 4 days or so before my 45 days are up. So I am thinking about giving him the benefit of the doubt until next Friday.

We exchanged emails, and he has called me twice. I called him tonight and that's when I learned he got the funds yesterday from UPS. So I had a lot of faith going until tonight when I saw that he has gone "private" with his feedback, which Ebay discourages because people can't read what others say about you.

Wish me luck. I wanted to buy one of the brand new Korg 16 track studios, but a friend told me that the older ones (made in Japan vice China) have much better components, so I opted to try to get one on Ebay. I'm starting to kick myself.

Randy

#224796 - 01/19/08 09:10 PM Re: OT - Any PayPal Experience w/Refunds?
saxxman Offline

Mike I'm hoping that since we are both verified, they should have access to his bank account. Maybe I will initiate the dispute now. And I'll just tell him that in the interest of getting my $$$ back, I can't afford to let this go any longer.

Thanks again for the help guys!

Randy

#224797 - 01/19/08 09:51 PM Re: OT - Any PayPal Experience w/Refunds?
zuki Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by saxxman:
Zuki - I paid him via PayPal on 15 Dec. Then he shipped it via UPS on the 17th. It never left the processing facility. I had a tracking number and tracked it but it just never went out of the UPS processing place. So eventually, we exchanged emails and UPS traced it and said it was lost. Since he shipped it, they paid him whatever he had it insured for. So he received his payment from UPS yesterday.
Randy

Now wait a minute You mean to tell me he has been paid by you AND also from a UPS claim? And he won't give you your money back? Seems he's double dipping.

This thing smells fishy to me. I would call him and request an immediate refund. No more Mr. nice guy.

I recently went through a bad situation where I purchased off eBay and got scammed. Mine is in litigation and has cost me lots of time and frustration. However, my persistence will win out in the end.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#224798 - 01/19/08 10:01 PM Re: OT - Any PayPal Experience w/Refunds?
saxxman Offline

Zuki, yes, that's right. I have been struggling with myself to cut him some slack, i.e., maybe he spent the money for Xmas and hasn't recouped his funds yet. But now that he's changed his feedback to "private", I'm starting to suspect something isn't right. I thought he could have refunded my money as soon as he found out UPS was giving him the refund.

Thanks... I'll let you know what happens next.

Randy

#224799 - 01/19/08 10:09 PM Re: OT - Any PayPal Experience w/Refunds?
zuki Offline

Randy,

I can appreciate your touchy situation. He probably did spend your funds and maybe he is waiting for the UPS funds to clear.

Some folks live week to week. If that's his case, then waiting it out might be the best.

I would still call and say since he's been paid by you and UPS, please send my an immediate PayPal payment. Make him tell you he doesn't have enough money to do that.

zuki

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online