SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#224295 - 01/13/08 03:11 PM Can anyone tweak their keyboards jazz guitar to sound like this?
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
http://www.thejazzpage.de/index1.html

Scroll towards the bottom of the page.

Downloads>Soundfonts

Then towards the top of the Soundfont page this guy sampled his Gibson L-5 guitar, listen to the MP3 of Sweet Georgia Brown. Don't listen to the midi for the sound comparison for this.

That, to me, is what a jazz guitar sounds like as compared to what I have heard on any arranger keyboard, or workstation as far as that goes.

Can anyone here even come close to getting that sound on their keyboard? As good as they all are, including the Tyros 2, which is too fat of a sound, unrealistic IMHO, this free soundfont beats them all.

This is one reason I have chosen to use a laptop on it's side for fake book lead sheets rather than the MusicPad Pro. I will be using the free VirMus program and/or pdf format.

Among all the other normal things you can do on a laptop, you can easily have softsynth solo voices in addition to the great sounds that are already on our keyboards.

Check out truepianos.com to hear what I think is the most realistic piano out there with quick load time and 128 polyphony.

Scott
http://ScottLMusic.com

#224296 - 01/13/08 04:10 PM Re: Can anyone tweak their keyboards jazz guitar to sound like this?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Scott,

The MP3 page was closed so I couldn't access it. If you recorded the song, please post a small segment so we call hear what it sounds like. I have tuned lots of keyboard voices using the PSR-3000's onboard Sound Creator program--it's not difficult and the results are outstanding.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#224297 - 01/13/08 09:47 PM Re: Can anyone tweak their keyboards jazz guitar to sound like this?
Scott Langholff Offline

Hi Gary

I'm thinking you may have ended up in the wrong place.
http://www.thejazzpage.de/index1.html

Scroll down the right side of the page titled Sitemap.

Towards the bottom you will see Downloads>Soundfonts.

On the Soundfont page right near the top after a write-up on the Gibson L5 guitar you will see midi and mp3 downloads of 3 songs, Stella By Starlight, Sweet Georgia Brown and Sushi. Check out Sweet Georgia Brown mp3.

Otherwise, I have no clue how to post the mp3.

I will be absolutely astonished if you can even come close to the sound of the soundfont on the Jazz Guitar as well as if you could tweak the piano on your keyboard to sound identical thoughout the entire range of the piano as heard on truepianos.com, otherwise I think Yamaha would have had this piano sound availabe on their keyboard and the only arranger keyboard that anyone would purchase would be the Yamaha The video at the bottom of this page is very interesting along with the mp3s.
http://www.truepianos.com/demos.php

It would be interesting to hear your or anyone elses tweaked sound posted using the midi of Sweet Georgia Brown. I can't believe it's possible to make it sound identical unless one is using similar technology.

Otherwise, this could interesting

Scott

#224298 - 01/14/08 06:19 AM Re: Can anyone tweak their keyboards jazz guitar to sound like this?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Scott ... that is truly a great sound ... I also wonder how much the 'technique' of the player has to do with it ...
t.

#224299 - 01/14/08 07:39 AM Re: Can anyone tweak their keyboards jazz guitar to sound like this?
travlin'easy Offline

Scott,

It's not the guitar--it's the player. The guitar itself sounds just like other jazz guitar I've heard and played--nothing special. The player, on the other hand, is outstanding and his fingering techniques are incredibly accurate. No slides over the frets into the notes. Very clear, concise and well played. Almost as good as DonM when he's fired up on the PSR-S900.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#224300 - 01/14/08 10:00 AM Re: Can anyone tweak their keyboards jazz guitar to sound like this?
Scott Langholff Offline

Well, certainly and obviously a lot has got to do with the player and this would sound good with almost any voice that would be appropriate, any rhythm section chording voice should sound great on even the cheapest of keyboards.

BUT STILL, the voice itself is incredibly life like and I have not heard this kind of depth, realism and warmth on any keyboard.

So, reading between the lines here, what I think I'm seeing is, so far, nobody thinks they really can duplicate this sound on their arranger.

Would like to hear some more input on this idea.

Thanx

Scott

#224301 - 01/14/08 10:10 AM Re: Can anyone tweak their keyboards jazz guitar to sound like this?
Scott Langholff Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Scott,

The guitar itself sounds just like other jazz guitar I've heard and played--nothing special.

Cheers,

Gary

I would like to hear anyone's mp3 recordings on their keyboard who think the above statement is accurate. Not just that it sounds like a jazz guitar, but to be able to get an IDENTICAL sound to this.

The midi of Sweet Georgia Brown is on the site free for the downloading.

This could turn out to be kind of a Purgatory Creek comparison of jazz guitar. Just as the true pianos, Tyros 2 and PSR3000 don't sound exactly the same.

Scott

#224302 - 01/14/08 11:17 AM Re: Can anyone tweak their keyboards jazz guitar to sound like this?
travlin'easy Offline

Scott,

Another thing to keep in mind is that jazz guitar is amped, through an amp that has effects, reverb, echo, delay, EQ, etc. And, the song was likely recorded with a digital recorder and edited using recording software features to enhance the sound quality. All of this has a bearing on the final product. The same is true with the sounds that are produced by your keyboard, especially guitar sounds.

If you recall, there is a PSR-Tutorial member named Julio who using a PSR-2000 could produce some of the best guitar music anyone has ever heard. And, when he provided some of his earlier midi files there were folks that questioned whether he was using a midi guitar and not the keyboard. His playing techniques, especially while emulating the guitar sounds, are the best I've ever heard.

While there are some keyboard voices that probably will never sound exactly like the true instrument, some of those voices can be edited to where they sound better. It's all a matter of personal preference.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

#224303 - 01/14/08 03:59 PM Re: Can anyone tweak their keyboards jazz guitar to sound like this?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Scott, I think that, unless you are capable of performing the sound at least as well as this player, worrying about the quality of jazz guitar sound is moot. And if you CAN perform as well as this, well, firstly, I would LOVE to hear some of your work, and secondly, you probably aren't worried about your current jazz guitar sound in the least!

As with most imitative synthesis, a better sound can only be a help to the better player. If you are not phrasing and playing idiomatically as well as this performance, all a better sound does is accentuate the shortcomings. You play a T2 still, right? Some of the SA tricks can help you sound MUCH more idiomatic (by switching the legato/staccato and fret-slides in and out based on your phrasing). The Sound-font format does not have this ability, and correct me if I am wrong, but you can't make your own sample-based SA User Tone, can you?

Basically, though, yes, it's a great sound, but unless you can perform it as well as this guy, you are going to be as unimpressed with it in your own hands as much as any other guitar sound you have.

#224304 - 01/14/08 05:06 PM Re: Can anyone tweak their keyboards jazz guitar to sound like this?
Dnj Offline

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-19-2008).]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online