SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#224139 - 01/11/08 08:27 PM Surprise gig (job :) ) ......
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Last weekend I was in New Jersey to play a 95th birthday party for the mother of a friend of mine - he was the guitar player in our band for 26 yrs - ... Our sax player played the gig with me ...
Obviously about 3/4 of the crowd were seniors, and we played a lot of 'the old stuff' - Bill Bailey, etc., did 'sing-a-longs', etc. ...
Yesterday I got a call from the guitar player's brother, telling me that his granddaughter, who was at the party, wants me to play for her wedding in May ... She is in her early 20's, but loved the music we played ...
THE KICKER - they live in North Carolina, (I live in Rhode Island)and will pay my expenses - air, hotel, cartage, etc. plus salary ... This would definitely be the farthest I've traveled for a gig !!! ...
I just have to see if I can work it out .....
t.

#224140 - 01/11/08 09:00 PM Re: Surprise gig (job :) ) ......
Dnj Offline

Take Pictures & Video......have a blast!!!

Better hope their friends dont turn on ya & want the newer Hip Hop/Rap stuff leaving you pullin' your hair out with constant requests.

Road Trip!!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-12-2008).]

#224141 - 01/12/08 03:24 AM Re: Surprise gig (job :) ) ......
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Alright Tony very cool, congratulations sounds like a great time

Nice to see someone in their 20s appreciates the "old stuff"

#224142 - 01/12/08 09:14 AM Re: Surprise gig (job :) ) ......
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Tony,

I'd make triple sure that they will be happy with the music YOU play. If so go for it. It sounds like fun. Weddings are really hard to play because of all the ages involved. I don't play them anymore because someone is always not happy. When I did play them I always took my advice from the person THAT IS WRITING THE CHECK.

Now if you are doing a combination live playing/DJ thing like a few are on the forum here, you can cover all musical genre and tastes. If I were more ambitious I would do that also. I just can't stand most of today's music so I don't need the frustration. I get enough of that already being married and playing golf.

Good luck on whatever you decide. How about coming to the jam in Shreveport in April?

Tom

Tom

#224143 - 01/12/08 12:35 PM Re: Surprise gig (job :) ) ......
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Thnx for the thoughts, guys ...
I am not too concerned about then changing their mind about the music she wants ...
She has already turned down a local 'cover' band, and at the party she wanted to make a list of what we were playing in case she hired a DJ ... Also, her grandfather has a band and she actually asked first if HE would play the wedding - he declined because it is his granddaughter's wedding and he wants to take it all in -
As for pulling my hair out - ain't much left to pull, so that's not a concern ...
I WILL have a CD with all of the line dances so I can enjoy a nice break ...
t.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online