Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#224015 - 01/10/08 08:33 AM Re: Guys, some advice re the BOSE PAS
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
It CAN be a problem if you want to restrict the sound to a smaller area. DonM

Thank you Don...that is precisely my situation...the restaurant I work in is one large room with different levels.

If they had separate rooms, it wouldn't be an issue, but the Bose just covers too well.

I also prefer stereo...the Bose is mono, unless you want to spring for two of them...but that is more than a bit costly.

The Bose is a great unit, but as it has been said, not for all situations.

Ian

#224016 - 01/10/08 08:50 AM Re: Guys, some advice re the BOSE PAS
Dnj Offline

Another thing regarding the lack of mid-range......on stage it was fine for a MONO unit & with all the pieces I wasn't gonna lug around another 4 pieces & covers to get STEREO for my needs it became to Flexibility Restrictive for me.....but then if I would walk 50 feet out onto the dance floor the lack of Mid-range was the main factor in my getting rid of the Bose.......I would say all those 2" speakers on the pole just dont push enough air to generate enough MIDRANGE even with EQ it sounded TOO Thin...especially where you need it.
My ears told me to say bye bye to the PAS.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-10-2008).]

#224017 - 01/10/08 10:43 AM Re: Guys, some advice re the BOSE PAS
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Hellboy Greg, if you are planning to use with your duo Chi-Chi I'd say you should definitely give it a try. For me the PAS has been both inspiring and unspectacular. I think the overall sound and coverageare fantastic. The only time I heard it used in a hall was with a OMB and I missed the various dynamics of up and down volume and things like that - but that could have been the musician himself; he wasn't very impressive himself.

Give it a try.

#224018 - 01/10/08 11:53 AM Re: Guys, some advice re the BOSE PAS
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
Well, you guys have at least got me checking into the Bose. I want more "coverage" in different size rooms and less stuff to tote and set up. We'll see how it goes.

#224019 - 01/10/08 01:25 PM Re: Guys, some advice re the BOSE PAS
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
IMO you have to go for the 45 day trial. Don't just listen to somebody else's system or check it out in the store.
Take it to a bunch of different venues, and use it. Read the manual and set it up properly
Then if you don't like it send it back.

Now don't you wish the keyboard makers gave you that kind of a deal.

#224020 - 01/10/08 01:50 PM Re: Guys, some advice re the BOSE PAS
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I know it would be a pain, but for those contemplating a PAS system, I would suggest that they do a gig with BOTH systems at the same time, and judge, under battlefield conditions, which one is better. Quiet store conditions rarely get you to understand firstly, how loud you actually are in a noisy club, and how much the mids are lacking in comparison.

Nigel... your post is quite telling. Firstly, the need for additional subs (add that to your cost!), secondly, the fact that you are playing with two guitarists and a bassist. Do they have their own amps? Or are you DI-ing EVERYTHING through the PAS? For an arranger user, remember, there is no bass rig (to add to the PA's sound) or two guitar amps to avoid putting in the PA! Everything has to come out of those little 2" speakers above what, 120Hz?

Secondly, how many towers do you use? Just the one? Or do you do the thing that Bose show in their promo shots, where everyone in the band has their OWN L1 system (imagine the cost of THAT!). Then, do you play mono or stereo?

BTW, the phasing problem with stereo piano samples is NOT just an L1 problem. You put any of these arrangers (although the Yamaha's, to my ears, are a little more pronounced with the problem, even the G70 and others ALL exhibit this) into a mono PA of any kind, and you ARE going to hear a difference compared to hearing it in stereo, either with a stereo PA, or just the built in speakers (which always ARE stereo, for those of you that think that stereo doesn't matter at all! Apparently, Y/K/R don't agree with you!).

It is just with the Bose, those 'phasey' frequencies are mostly in the high harmonics, which the Bose tend to emphasize, and at the same time, the mids are pushed back, which tends to mask the problem a bit on bigger speaker systems. So you can't blame the Bose for the problem, but their design DOES seem to accentuate it.

Finally, for all the PAS owners that seem to be getting a little harried at the thought of a counter opinion, actually, it is YOU that are pushing the one specific system that you use on others, not us. I have made no recommendation that everyone use MY system. Use what you want to use. Indeed, the L1's may be PERFECT for some players and situations. But it certainly isn't the bees knees, be all and end all solution that many of you L1 owners claim. It DOES have some significant differences to regular PA's, and rather than a blanket recommendation of unalloyed praise, the advice to go out and buy one, I feel, should be tempered with some caveats of it's limitations.

#224021 - 01/10/08 03:02 PM Re: Guys, some advice re the BOSE PAS
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Sorry I edited this Nigel. I'm just going to say that if anyone wants my help or opinion in the future send me an email.
If I feel I can be helpful I will do it by private email.
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 01-10-2008).]

#224022 - 01/10/08 03:38 PM Re: Guys, some advice re the BOSE PAS
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Quote:
Originally posted by hellboy44:
Hey all, listen:

Long story short, I've read almost every thread about the Bose PAS (most of 'em seem to stop around 2005/6) so PLEASE don't tell me to go and read all the threads re this system.

Here are my 3 questions regarding the system.

Can anyone help with any UPDATED impressions of the new PAS systems (hell even the old ones).

I'm willing to embrace a new concept!

I think he specifically asked owners for their updated opinions and impressions.

DonM, as always, I thought you spoke eloquently before you edited.

#224023 - 01/10/08 04:05 PM Re: Guys, some advice re the BOSE PAS
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
DonM, I missed the post, so can't comment, but my advice would be to stick by your words. Don't edit your post out. Unless you were verbally insulting someone (in which case not posting in the first place might have been better, but I don't believe this of you ), this is still just a discussion.

No-one's opinion (and that is all any of this is!) is any more or less important than another. Let us hear yours, we respect it even if we don't agree. Why does this have to devolve into a mess of 'attackers' and 'defenders'..? There is plenty of equipment I use that, although it works best FOR ME, at the moment, I am prepared to acknowledge shortcomings in it for others. I don't get worked up into a tizzy if someone doesn't think my G70 isn't the best arranger on the planet. For many, it is NOT!

I just think this about the L1's... for some, it is perfect, for others, it may not be. I just wish that some PAS owners would acknowledge this. Rather than the blanket 'BUY ONE" I so often hear. This isn't a $300 toy. It's a multi-thousand dollar investment (especially for multiple towers and subs). For many here, it may be the wrong thing, depending on where and how you perform (or intend to perform). For some, it may be the bees knees.

Something this expensive deserves advice that borders on the cautious, given it's niche usage (there ARE quite a few 'tried it, didn't like it', so it's superiority isn't unquestioned). For those wanting to try it, again I say 'Try it'... extensively, exhaustingly, critically, comparatively. Don't buy it until YOU have convinced yourself of it's suitability for ALL your gigs (you don't want to still have to use several different PA's at different gig types after you've spent THIS much money on a PAS system, do you?).

Just as I would advise anyone about an arranger, to be honest. Don't take my word. Don't take DonM's word. Don't take ANYBODY'S word unless they ALL say the same thing! Something this subjective can ONLY be decided by yourself.

#224024 - 01/10/08 04:10 PM Re: Guys, some advice re the BOSE PAS
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
WOW!

What a storm of controversy here! (kinda)

One other thing :

Is ONE Bose system (say with 2 subs) enough for a duo?

(Here's hoping it is!)

P.S. My wife plays her Electric guitar through that wonderful Roland Cube 30 Amp - that might help in the sound department...

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online